I think Marner is going to have a better year than Matthews

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is key....is he healthy or will he have back troubles ( if that was the problem)..his whole career?

I trust the Leafs have the resources and sports science guys to look after MLSE's most valuable asset long term.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
their points might be very close but matthews provides great D at the center position and is getting better, thats too much to overcome

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Fair enough, as better is subjective. Think Matthews will be a bit more productive if GP are essentially equal, but Marner is absolutely a talent in his own right. Hoping for the full 82 from both (and for as many of the others as is possible).

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It could depend on context.

Pretend they both play great...which of these seasons would you classify as better?

82 games played | 50 goals | 30 assists | 80 points | Auston Matthews
games played | 20 goals | 70 assists | 90 points | Mitchell Marner

Considering Matthews is a better two way player - and quite a bit better - it's easily Matthews.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Let's just hope that they're both chasing some trophies this year, that would be some icing on the cake of being a very good team. Who cares which ends up being better, they're both wearing the right colours.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
They are two very different type of players. When playing together, they can be outright deadly. They need to match Matthews and Marner on the same line. Everybody wins. The fans, the team, everybody. except the opposition.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Pretend they both play great...which of these seasons would you classify as better?

For half the season last year, Marner was playing at a 37G, 94P pace...

I'd frame it as:

Mitch Marner | 82GP | 35 goals | 70 assists | 105 points
Auston Matthews | 82GP | 50 goals | 45 assists | 95 points

Last edited by a moderator:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
There's separation between them in a lot of areas...but I wouldn't consider talent to be one of them:

- Matthews is a more talented shooter/scorer
- Marner is a more talented passer/playmaker

With that said....I would say that Matthews:

- is taller, heavier & stronger
- plays a more important position
- has a more developed defensive game

None of which has to do with talent.

Agreed. Good post. I thought of one thing when I read this post.

Marner has a better compete level. As great as Matthews is...the biggest flaw in his game is his compete level. This is what will get interesting this year to see if Matthews-Nylander and Marner-Tavares become combo's. When Nylander or Matthews becomes dis-couraged or does not compete hard, it rubs off on the other player at times and u have a great line look very average, not impactful. This was highlighted perfectly in the playoffs and over the last 2 years and has resulted in the line being broken up for a short time, only to re-unite again. Marner and Tavares have more consistent compete levels individually and may fair well playing apart... Matthews-Marner, Nylander-Tavares.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cobra

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
All four of Matthews/Nylander/Tavares/Marner are going PPG this year.

Matthews is the best player on the team.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
I don't know about you guys, but every time Matthews has the puck on his stick I'm just in awe with the way he stick handles and moves with the puck :naughty:

Reactions: The Cobra

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think it is very possible that either can be the top this year. For those who think that the development is done with these guys, watch out. Making a statement of x>y is just guessing. My hope is that they are as equally competitive as some of the people here and work hard to be the better player. Right now, the jury is out for me.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Better" is subjective and intangible and immeasurable just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

However a big 2-way centre impacts the game so much more in so many areas other than just his own goals and assists.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

matthews AINEC 50 goals? are you kidding me there is maybe 3 players in the league with the ability to get 50 (at least consistently) Matthews, Laine and Ovy and of those 3 only Ovy has actually done it yet.

In the Nylander thread im reading posts about how Nylander should get less than Ehlers because goal scoring is more important, i dont necesarrily beleive that whe its the difference of 29 goals to 22 goals, but 50 goals to 20 even 30 goals is massive.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I hope they both kill it. Marner looking to shoot more as well (which he needs)
The leafs cannot win without both of them having a great year

last year id agree with this, But now we have JT i think we can for sure win without marner having a great year. Obviously he is very important but we have 2 ppg centers now marner isnt AS important as he was (he is still integral but not as important)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
On any given year Marner could be the Teams leading scorer.
For this team to go anywhere Matthews will have to be the best player.

Can't say I've ever looked forward to a season as much as I am this year.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
last year id agree with this, But now we have JT i think we can for sure win without marner having a great year. Obviously he is very important but we have 2 ppg centers now marner isnt AS important as he was (he is still integral but not as important)
Can say the same thing for Matthews then

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2