I think i've lost my passion for the game but I don't know why.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I do think it's amusing that fans can search the Leafs be arguably the worst run team in all of professional sports from 2004-2014 but it's now the team that has guys like Matthew's and Tavares on it that is apparently unwatchable lol
This past offseason showed a league-wide fight with teams struggling to sign their rfa's. Sure, every offseason has some holdouts and contract spats. But this past summer was way worse than the typical year.

I think a lot of fans were soured by it. When the sport starts feeling more like an business than a game... that's troubling for fans. Even if they can't properly articuluate it or fully understand it, it's why so many fans are saying things like "Something just feels off this year." Ticket sales are down league-wide to start the season. Decade long sellout streaks are ending. It used to be borderline impossible to get tickets to some arenas, but now you can just show up at the ticket booth 5 minutes before puck drop.

The fans seem to be losing faith in the players. The league probably needs to find a way to make the players look more passionate about the sport, and less like greedy business men.

Reactions: Jmo89 and Kurtz

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I am a lifelong diehard leafs fan. I ride and die for this team year in and year out. But i'm not feeling it this year.

I am usually locked into the game, whether it be a wednesday game in november against nashville, or a playoff game in april against boston I would have the same intensity. Edge of my seat, heart pounding and standing and cheering for every goal, even at home. But this year I have been quite the opposite, I still watch every second of every game, but I dont feel much excitement, my heart rate is closer to 80 than 120, slumped in my seat, a mere fist pump for a goal while feeling no excitement.

Tonight against the bruins, on Rielly's goal I just made a half-hearted fist pump and on Timo's first I just said "nice" in a monotone fashion.

Anyone else feel like this? Is it the constant losing this team endures? Its something I wanna feel but I just dont seem to have it in me anymore. I will continue to bleed blue and i hope to feel something for this team again. glg
Hey, I hope you are doing OK!
I believe that what has happened is that you have lost interest in the regular season.
Since we have been in the playoffs for three straight years ... our mentality has shifted. Before when I watched every game I was on the edge of my seat cheering for us to make the playoffs. Today I don't really care for regular season games, because I am 100% certain in my mind we will be in the playoffs. So certain that if someone says bet your house that the Leafs make the playoffs this year - I am willing to bet everything I have that we are making them. I believe that you are also certain we are making the playoffs, but maybe not to this extend. So you can't actually bother to get excited to your level that you were used to in the past. I think it is a very safe bet that you will be very excited during the playoffs and even more if we manage to make it to the second round. :) Please share if you actually feel like this? Hang in there and best wishes!

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I used to think that I was watching a group of hockey fanatics that wanted to win a Stanley Cup more than anything else in the world. Sure, getting filthy rich (top 0.0001% of society) was a major perk. But not the 100% focus. They were of course happy to be paid so handsomely, but it wasn't all about the money.

I see it differently now. When I watch them play, I don't see the passion to win. This is nothing more than a job to them. If you have a guaranteed $60 million coming to you over the next 5/6 years, you're not going to go that extra mile. Why risk getting hurt blocking the shot? Just move out of the way and cash your checks. Pad your stats with some PP points so the crowd doesn't turn on you and you can still sign big on your next contract. Nobody cares. I'm starting to wonder if these players would prefer to have an extra month or two off as opposed to going deep in the playoffs.

I used to think the players saw the league this way:
60% competitive league
40% business.

But with what our greedy rfa's did to our weakling rookie gm... now I know it's 0% competitive league and 100% business. There's barely even a game going on out there. We might as well be watching business men trade stocks on wallstreet. Cheer for our favourite business men. Buy business suits with their names on the back.

I don't even say "Who won the game last night?" anymore.

I say "Who won the business meeting?"

Rant over.
If these players are being paid so much, wouldn't they be putting everything they can to prove to them, the fans and the coaches that they're worth it. I would feel guilty if I got paid that much and just mailed it in.

Reactions: hullsy47

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I am a lifelong diehard leafs fan. I ride and die for this team year in and year out. But i'm not feeling it this year.

I am usually locked into the game, whether it be a wednesday game in november against nashville, or a playoff game in april against boston I would have the same intensity. Edge of my seat, heart pounding and standing and cheering for every goal, even at home. But this year I have been quite the opposite, I still watch every second of every game, but I dont feel much excitement, my heart rate is closer to 80 than 120, slumped in my seat, a mere fist pump for a goal while feeling no excitement.

Tonight against the bruins, on Rielly's goal I just made a half-hearted fist pump and on Timo's first I just said "nice" in a monotone fashion.

Anyone else feel like this? Is it the constant losing this team endures? Its something I wanna feel but I just dont seem to have it in me anymore. I will continue to bleed blue and i hope to feel something for this team again. glg

Thats not a maple leafs problem. It's an nhl problem.

It goes back to what torts said last year. Where is the hate? The players are more connected and buddy buddy than ever. Trash talking between benches is no longer a daily ritual.

Teams still play to win, but the nhl has lost something with that lack of dislike for the opposition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bomber0104

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
If these players are being paid so much, wouldn't they be putting everything they can to prove to them, the fans and the coaches that they're worth it. I would feel guilty if I got paid that much and just mailed it in.
I previously would have thought so. Now I think they couldn’t care less.

They probably don’t want to get booed off the ice every night, as that’s embarrassing to their reputation. But I’d say that’s the extent of their ambitions. “Don’t have the fans and media turn against me”. So they’ll toe that line, giving as little effort as possible as long as they’re still under the radar.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Flailing stick checks, no hard open ice hits, no fights, players not allowed to show passion or be unique individuals on or off the ice, no finishing checks, expensive players go through the motions and take nights off because they never get sat in the pressbox, new rules and video reviews that insult your intelligence, "elite zone entries" and other ridiculous stats used as major points of discussion, boring boring boring. Don't we watch to be entertained? American lawyers and marketers have morphed the product into an impersonal gimmicky video game - slick but dull.

So you, sir, are normal.
Its as much this. They made it a skill sport but its not as entertaining how many people have at least heard there was aline brawl let alone already seen if it was a good one or not.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
well if the team isnt scoring they are downright boring. Nobody wants to see pokechecks, the western teams has more of the kind of hockey that most traditional hockey fans like. Even when the teams lose you stick around because you still see the emotion, and the bad blood and the hits and fights. Dubas doesn't like that stuff. I also think the players aren't as likeable so its hard to cheer for them. We were spoiled with Kaberle and Sundin or Tucker who would do anything for the team. These guys are more businessmen who only play for the team if they get paid more money than anyone else. Or would sit out the rest of the year. Thats how Ive been feeling at least

Reactions: Kurtz

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I used to think that I was watching a group of hockey fanatics that wanted to win a Stanley Cup more than anything else in the world. Sure, getting filthy rich (top 0.0001% of society) was a major perk. But not the 100% focus. They were of course happy to be paid so handsomely, but it wasn't all about the money.

I see it differently now. When I watch them play, I don't see the passion to win. This is nothing more than a job to them. If you have a guaranteed $60 million coming to you over the next 5/6 years, you're not going to go that extra mile. Why risk getting hurt blocking the shot? Just move out of the way and cash your checks. Pad your stats with some PP points so the crowd doesn't turn on you and you can still sign big on your next contract. Nobody cares. I'm starting to wonder if these players would prefer to have an extra month or two off as opposed to going deep in the playoffs.

I used to think the players saw the league this way:
60% competitive league
40% business.

But with what our greedy rfa's did to our weakling rookie gm... now I know it's 0% competitive league and 100% business. There's barely even a game going on out there. We might as well be watching business men trade stocks on wallstreet. Cheer for our favourite business men. Buy business suits with their names on the back.

I don't even say "Who won the game last night?" anymore.

I say "Who won the business meeting?"

Rant over.

Watching St Louis last year was such a treat.

Dreger said on the radio this week that teams have told him they treat games against the Leafs like it’s a scrimmage. Of course we heard what Krug and Foligno said last year.

That breaks my heart when I hear stuff like that.

Last edited:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Thats not a maple leafs problem. It's an nhl problem.

It goes back to what torts said last year. Where is the hate? The players are more connected and buddy buddy than ever. Trash talking between benches is no longer a daily ritual.

Teams still play to win, but the nhl has lost something with that lack of dislike for the opposition.

It’s like that in all sports now it seems. NFL guys exchanging jerseys and high fiving after the game laughing with each other.

NBA same thing. I think it’s partially due to the social media culture and everyone being so connected.

Reactions: JianYang

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I do think it's amusing that fans can watch the Leafs be arguably the worst run team in all of professional sports from 2004-2014 but it's now the team that has guys like Matthew's and Tavares on it that is apparently unwatchable lol

It’s not so much those two but more Nylander, Rielly and the like that are so one dimensional and really good at that one dimension.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

No, it’s not just you. I have lost my emotional investment in this team as well to a certain degree. I am not getting overly high on a win and I am no longer getting really pissed over a loss.

Game 7 broke me last year. I am at a point right now with this team where they have to prove it to me. And to me, that’s at least a 2nd round playoff appearance.

A few of my buddies feel this exact same way too. And they have been die-hard Leaf fans for the better part of 3 decades.

That, plus the fact that the big 3, especially Matthews and Marner took Dubas to the cleaners in contract negotiations when the team hasn’t done anything other then lose in the 1st round. That pissed a lot of fans off.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I believe that what has happened is that you have lost interest in the regular season.
Since we have been in the playoffs for three straight years ... our mentality has shifted. Before when I watched every game I was on the edge of my seat cheering for us to make the playoffs. Today I don't really care for regular season games, because I am 100% certain in my mind we will be in the playoffs. So certain that if someone says bet your house that the Leafs make the playoffs this year - I am willing to bet everything I have that we are making them. I believe that you are also certain we are making the playoffs, but maybe not to this extend. So you can't actually bother to get excited to your level that you were used to in the past. I think it is a very safe bet that you will be very excited during the playoffs and even more if we manage to make it to the second round. :) Please share if you actually feel like this? Hang in there and best wishes!

This is true

Reactions: Rogue Leader

horner

May 22, 2007
I know nobody gives a **** whether I cheer for a goal in my living room or not, this was basically me asking a question (if anyone else feels this or why) reflecting my experiences
The money has creeped into you head.
I know of alot of who being turned off hockey and sports.

Reactions: hullsy47

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If you are turned off, a fair question in this discussion is whether you are turned off on the team or on the league in general?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Greed in hockey players (including Leafs) extend way wayyy before Nylander started holding out for money...

Possibly, but we've never been held hostage by NHL players for that extra cherry on top before like we went though with Nylander and Money Mitch. At least not that I can recall.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I watch hockey almost every night and I get excited watching a lot of games. Leafs games are some of the least entertaining games. Fortunately the rest of the league isn’t that bad to watch.

Reactions: CelticDruid

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Love of sports comes and goes as you age. You come to realize none of it matters (as Jerry Seinfeld said (paraphrasing), because the player change so quickly, "You're rooting for linen"), but it's also a nice distraction.

Andy Rooney summed it up when he said :

"Sports matter because they don't matter".

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
I understand where you are coming from..

I'm almost getting there.. I just want the leafs to dominate games and anything less I feel frustrated for no logical reason.

I still watch the games and support the leafs, but I can't wait for playoffs and beating those Bruins fuc*ers.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

I honestly feel the same way, I think the team needs an identity which are definitely lacking.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I think professional sports can be harder and harder to fully commit to, emotionally, these days. It's hard to really feel a connection to the players as much as in the past. Maybe that's a combination of player movement, the money involved, corporate involvement, or just getting older as a fan. I still love watching the Leafs, and get irrationally upset at my TV screen, but it will never be do or die like it was for me when I was a teenager in the 90s.

edit - I also know that my father, who is a lifelong Leafs fan, has no interest in watching the actual games anymore and he says it's due to changes in coaching and systems that make every game feel like a replication of the past one, to him.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I honestly feel the same way, I think the team needs an identity which are definitely lacking.
Part of it started by making Babcock the highest paid coach in NHL history
Now its disappointing that hes just 1 of 20 real good coaches ..
The players never were gonna take a discount
The leafs are set up to let us down till McDavid becomes free
Excitement again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad