I think i've lost my passion for the game but I don't know why.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I am a lifelong diehard leafs fan. I ride and die for this team year in and year out. But i'm not feeling it this year.

I am usually locked into the game, whether it be a wednesday game in november against nashville, or a playoff game in april against boston I would have the same intensity. Edge of my seat, heart pounding and standing and cheering for every goal, even at home. But this year I have been quite the opposite, I still watch every second of every game, but I dont feel much excitement, my heart rate is closer to 80 than 120, slumped in my seat, a mere fist pump for a goal while feeling no excitement.

Tonight against the bruins, on Rielly's goal I just made a half-hearted fist pump and on Timo's first I just said "nice" in a monotone fashion.

Anyone else feel like this? Is it the constant losing this team endures? Its something I wanna feel but I just dont seem to have it in me anymore. I will continue to bleed blue and i hope to feel something for this team again. glg
Might be time time to move on, to find a new interest in something else.

Maybe a good friend would ease your malaise?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I am a lifelong diehard leafs fan. I ride and die for this team year in and year out. But i'm not feeling it this year.

I am usually locked into the game, whether it be a wednesday game in november against nashville, or a playoff game in april against boston I would have the same intensity. Edge of my seat, heart pounding and standing and cheering for every goal, even at home. But this year I have been quite the opposite, I still watch every second of every game, but I dont feel much excitement, my heart rate is closer to 80 than 120, slumped in my seat, a mere fist pump for a goal while feeling no excitement.

Tonight against the bruins, on Rielly's goal I just made a half-hearted fist pump and on Timo's first I just said "nice" in a monotone fashion.

Anyone else feel like this? Is it the constant losing this team endures? Its something I wanna feel but I just dont seem to have it in me anymore. I will continue to bleed blue and i hope to feel something for this team again. glg

My guess? Welcome to getting older. As each year goes by, you'll be more and more detached, especially as the life experiences pile up and hockey's importance vs life sets in.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I feel a little bit the same way. All the losing we did between 2005 to 2017 really sucked a lot of the passion outta me. As I have gotten older, I also developed other interests and have other things going on in life as well (not talking about bad things, just regular life stuff). I think that also factors in. I don't live and die with every regular season game like I used to when I was in high school and university.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I feel a little bit the same way. All the losing we did between 2005 to 2017 really sucked a lot of the passion outta me. As I have gotten older, I also developed other interests and have other things going on in life as well (not talking about bad things, just regular life stuff). I think that also factors in. I don't live and die with every regular season game like I used to when I was in high school and university.

Life changes as you age

I come home from work and get one kid to drum lessons and the other to volleyball. Between my wife and I, one of us gets dinner going.

Talk to my first born who is in first year at University. Then talk to my 73 year old dad about whatever medical test they have him under to see if his cancer is spreading.

I try to get to the gym, tackle emails I didn’t get to and catch up on the news of the day.

Not to mention keep our 24 year marriage in a great place.

Hockey? Toronto vs someone? Yeah, I’ll see it on Sports Centre in the morning.

Hell, I’m more likely to watch Don Lemon now than I am Don Cherry.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I can't stand soft hockey no matter how skilled they are. The playoffs are all about WILL, skill and being the alpha dog. This group of Leafs get more and more submissive as the playoffs go on. It's very emasculating to watch quite frankly. The regular season is a completely different game of hockey. It never used to be that way back in the day. I love to watch free wheeling skill like the 80's Oilers but also loved to watch Mary McSorley or Larry Robinson kick some ass. The game today sucks and is boring as hell comparatively speaking.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I can't stand soft hockey no matter how skilled they are. The playoffs are all about WILL, skill and being the alpha dog. This group of Leafs get more and more submissive as the playoffs go on. It's very emasculating to watch quite frankly. The regular season is a completely different game of hockey. It never used to be that way back in the day. I love to watch free wheeling skill like the 80's Oilers but also loved to watch Mary McSorley or Larry Robinson kick some ass. The game today sucks and is boring as hell comparatively speaking.

Yep.

But boring as hell? With all the fire and people that watch sunday football instead of going to church... I don’t think hell would be boring.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

All true. However we won’t have enforcers committing suicide anymore through addiction or self harm because of CTE caused brain disease. That’s a plus a least for families.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I'll tell ya what man, you definitely are not alone here. Im 41 years old and Ive been a Leaf fan-atic since the first time I ever saw my dad watching a hockey game when I was 4 years old. I can actually still remember almost everything about that night like it was last weekend. After that I watched every single game I could get my hands on until around 2002 when I could literally watch every single game from sports packages and if i missed a game i would record it and watch it later.

Except my passion for the Leafs and honestly sports in general started waning a few years ago. First the NFL left me and it was followed shortly by basketball and then a few years later my beloved hockey and lastly the Leafs about 5 years or so ago.

The biggest issue for me is how the open world of the internet, my adult life cynicism and the business side of hockey really collided. Every single year its about the brand and the cheque more than the game itself and with the internet and forums the access to the behind the scenes world of everything is really exposed. The reality of the people in the game has the magical shine removed when you have access to everything about them in front of you. When you start to despise someone it becomes much harder to cheer for the person so you have to focus on the crest of the team instead. But when the team is only about making money, and the politics of the behind closed doors is leaked out and the "loyalty" is exposed for the revenue machine it is I found it much harder to cheer for anything honestly.

The team a few years ago I truly despised from the players through the coaches right up to the Leaf head brass and the stock holder group behind them. So I actually stopped watching as much because I literally hated it. All the arguing in the forums, the constant leaks and rumours ended up just wearing me down to the point I was just watching because it's something I had been doing for decades but no longer enjoying.

With all the problems that I myself have to endure in life I have found it very hard to blindly cheer for players that demand millions from companies that make hundreds of millions that are run by billionaires off the backs of the typical low-middle class fans. I dont hold any grudge per-say, just feels like I should be doing something different. In the end though do still like hockey and the Leafs are my goto team. Babcock sure makes it hard though sometimes for me to enjoy a game.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I am a lifelong die hard leafs fan. I ride and die for this team year in and year out. But i'm not feeling it this year.

Over reaction on my part.

Please accept my apologies.

Trust me I understand your drift, hockey ain't like it used to be.

I would much prefer watching Gilmour and Clark even though we didn't win much with them.

When we did win it seemed so much more satisfying because those guys hardly ever took a night off.

Now, they get paid big monies in advance for pond hockey.

Too many gazelles on this team and not enough bangers and crashers.

Maybe we expect too much.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Every year that they don't exceed the previous year I care less and less. I am not interested in another first round bounce, I've seen that enough. After being garbage for years, 2017 was exciting because it was a step forward, since then it's been treading water or backwards. I'll get very excited once they make the 2nd round, until then, I am just sitting here waiting for the hammer to drop and don't really care if it does.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Over reaction on my part.

Please accept my apologies.

Trust me I understand your drift, hockey ain't like it used to be.

I would much prefer watching Gilmour and Clark even though we didn't win much with them.

When we did win it seemed so much more satisfying because those guys hardly ever took a night off.

Now, they get paid big monies in advance for pond hockey.

Too many gazelles on this team and not enough bangers and crashers.

Maybe we expect too much.

They won plenty with Gilmour , Clark, and the like. Watching the games then was exciting and often you were at the edge of your seat. I always wanted to hear what burns had to say post game.
With this team, you very seldom see a great play, 90% of the game they do nothing, and listening to Babcock is cringe worthy.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I find the last couple off seasons have been a bit draining. The media circus and eventual overpayments has caused this season to lose a bit of its zeal for me.

Getting bounced in the first round 3 years in a row doesn't help either. Two of those times being by the same team who also forced one of the most embarrassing collapses in nhl history a few years prior just adds to it.

This season feels almost scripted, just like last. The team will likely take a division spot (though Buffalo or Montreal could Surprise,) Tampa will like win the division, and Boston will likely end up a few points ahead.

Yay, another playoffs series against the same team who have bounced the Leafs 3/4 of their past post-seasons.

Even worse, I'm not even sure this team has that extra gear to get past them and even I they do I get to enjoy a stubborn coach who apparently sbotages his own team in game 6 and 7.

To answer your question, no, you're not the only one, many nights I feel the same way.

Reactions: Tall Morty

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
This is the first season I've not seemed to be able to get truly into it. It might be because i have massive reservations about the setup of the roster to do any real damage, so why bother type of thing? It might be to do with the 50/50 split of the fanbase and whether "grit" etc is needed. It might be to do with the boring style i find they play now. Or ot might be to do with 3 of the most dullest athletes out there that get paid almost as much as the rest of the team that shows so little emotion (OT goal tonight aside). Like where did 2017 and 2018 Marner go. He almost looks jaded already.

It's funny, i started the day at 4.15am watching England batter the Aussies. So much hard work, battle, desire, toughness, determination (even sportsmanship) and then 16 hours later watched a bunch of hockey players skate around and it was night and day. Obviously two different sports, but it was a different viewing experience altogether.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
...and who wants to watch 8 exhibition games, 80+ regular season no-hitters, first round playoffs best-of-seven instead of best-of-five, and Stanley Cup tournament well into June (especially when it's not the Leafs). Rarely is any game a special "gotta watch".

Reactions: CelticDruid

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

you're getting older, that's all.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Well, when you have a good team that you know will make the playoffs, it does take some of the air out of the regular season, especially early on. We basically know the Leafs are going to finish 1-3 in the division and probably play Boston, again. Hard to get pumped up for a game in late October under those circumstances.

I've watched all the games, but often on a second monitor with my attention going back and forth to other things. Come February/March, I'm sure I'll get a lot more dialed-in.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Cause watching this team has become hard work instead of a joyful evening of hockey.

Remember when game days were exciting and you were excited all day waiting for the game to come on?

Now it's a little tense and stressful as you are wondering all day what kind of bull **** effort the team is going to put forth later on that day.

People are happy with a win where these bafoons gave up 45 shots and only walked away with a win because the goalie saved their ass. Bull**** win for a lacklustre team. Leaf games should be blacked out regionally so we can watch the Marlies who seem to be the only team in Toronto playing hockey.

**** Babcock and him walking to the changeroom smiling, he should be tarred, feathered and put on the first train out of town. If he's happy with this bull****, then he's a bigger idiot than I took him for (And I take him for a big ****ing idiot).
Someone needs to take a break.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Maybe you are just coming out as a Habs fan. I've seen it happen. :nod:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There's no shame in taking a step back and just being a casual fan? Heck even just stop paying attention. It's just a sport.

We all grow up, find other hobbies and have other things in life going on. Maybe you hate the players on the team, maybe you just like the idea of having no expectations for a team instead of high expectations that are not met, maybe it's something completely unrelated to the team. Whatever the reason, it's normal to just not be into something that you once really loved.

Reactions: CatchyTune

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I'm not sure what you meant by "gig" at the end of your post and it could be important in assessing your feelings. I think you may be depressed, there's no reason to feel less passionate about this team than any other year, what does "gig" mean?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I feel these overpaid RFAs have highlighted that there is no team chemistry .... it's just a bunch of me first millennials playing hard ball and getting their way. The rest of the team fighting for scraps is sad.

The plan for us to draft well and sign players to reasonable contracts is dead. Hard to build a winning team in the parity era. Our potential advantage lost.

The players don't prioritize winning by signing reasonable contacts and filling out the roster. Supporting cut throat me first players isn't easy.

Reactions: Myopic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad