I Think I Figured Out Marc Bergevin's Strategy...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Do Weise, Weaver and Vanek count?
You realize that you're responding to a post from Feb right?

And yeah, the Vanek move was wicked. He definitely pulled a rabbit out of the hat with that one. Still cautiously optimistic with him. Terrible offseason moves but Vanek makes all of that irrelevant as far as I'm concerned because MB was smart enough to at least make those bad moves short term.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

And yeah, the Vanek move was wicked. He definitely pulled a rabbit out of the hat with that one. Still cautiously optimistic with him. Terrible offseason moves but Vanek makes all of that irrelevant as far as I'm concerned because MB was smart enough to at least make those bad moves short term.

What bad moves?

The only one I see that has any negative shine to it is the Parros signing. Other than that one, MB has brought in players that fill a need or give the team depth. I said it awhile ago, today the Habs have one of the deepest lineups in the league. Right now, this team has Chucky, Moen, White, Tinordi, & Murray not playing.

MB and his posse have done a very good job. Man, it's been literally decades since I've been this proud to be a Habs fan.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Welcome to my ignore list. I'm convinced you have nothing original or interesting to contribute but your hatred for coaching and management. Any Hab fan that cannot enjoy the season we are having is not a fan.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What bad moves?

The only one I see that has any negative shine to it is the Parros signing. Other than that one, MB has brought in players that fill a need or give the team depth. I said it awhile ago, today the Habs have one of the deepest lineups in the league. Right now, this team has Chucky, Moen, White, Tinordi, & Murray not playing.

MB and his posse have done a very good job. Man, it's been literally decades since I've been this proud to be a Habs fan.
Our offseason moves were brutal. Not sure why anyone would say otherwise.
Welcome to my ignore list. I'm convinced you have nothing original or interesting to contribute but your hatred for coaching and management. Any Hab fan that cannot enjoy the season we are having is not a fan.
Strawman.

I don't hate mgmt at all. MB is a rookie GM and we've seen some good and some bad. I just said Vanek was a great move. We simply haven't seen enough of him to know what kind of GM he'll be but I've kept an open mind on him. That being said, his offseason was brutal. No point trying to say otherwise.

MT is another story...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Our offseason moves were brutal. Not sure why anyone would say otherwise.

Our offseason moves if I remember correctly:

Briere, Parros, Murray. Anything I forgot?

Murray has brought grit & stability to our #6 defence spot. All for the price of what? 1.3 million? That's brutal?

Briere? I thought at first was a mistake. But Briere has grown into his role as the season progressed and it looks like he will live up to his billing. He is a playoff performer. Maybe he is not worth the money we signed him for but that's hardly a brutal move. Especially if you consider the calm & experience he brings to the room and he looks like a player who genuinely shares whatever knowledge he has with younger players.

Parros? Although I don't totally agree with you, I'll give you this one. But how is a 1 mil for one year a brutal contract?

If I remember correctly you were one of the posters who wanted to blow everything up. You were also someone who wanted to get rid of Markov three years ago. I told you then that aside from his playing skills, Markov could also play a mentor role for our young d-men: i.e. Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu. Lo & behold last night when Subban was in an animated discussion with J.J., who reined him in - gently but firmly? Markov. I suspect you're one of those fans that overvalues the shiny new player or prospect and devalues the gritty wily veteran.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009

Murray has brought grit & stability to our #6 defence spot. All for the price of what? 1.3 million? That's brutal?

Briere? I thought at first was a mistake. But Briere has grown into his role as the season progressed and it looks like he will live up to his billing. He is a playoff performer. Maybe he is not worth the money we signed him for but that's hardly a brutal move. Especially if you consider the calm & experience he brings to the room and he looks like a player who genuinely shares whatever knowledge he has with younger players.

Parros? Although I don't totally agree with you, I'll give you this one. But how is a 1 mil for one year a brutal contract?

If I remember correctly you were one of the posters who wanted to blow everything up. You were also someone who wanted to get rid of Markov three years ago. I told you then that aside from his playing skills, Markov could also play a mentor role for our young d-men: i.e. Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu. Lo & behold last night when Subban was in an animated discussion with J.J., who reined him in - gently but firmly? Markov. I suspect you're one of those fans that overvalues the shiny new player or prospect and devalues the gritty wily veteran.

This. I keep hearing about this "abysmal offseason" we had and yet, see no evidence of it. Parros single-handedly made all the other moves a wash? Maybe you're referring to the Emelin signing? At the time it was a bold move, but it has certainly proven to be very good for us thus far. What am I missing?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

They were brutal moves. Briere for four mil and two years and a NMC is a joke no matter what. And when you factor in Jagr's avaialbility it's even worse. No reason to have Murray in the lineup over either Tinordi or Beaulieu (especially Beaulieu.) We're talking about a guy who shouldn't be in the NHL.

Does that mean we write off MB as a GM? No. But let's not pretend like those were good moves.
Absolutely. And for good reason too, we would've been much further ahead today than we are. Instead we:

1. Watched players like Koivu, Souray, Kovalev etc... walk for zero return.
2. Hired overpriced small players who we wasted our time with.
3. Traded away Ryan McD for Scott Gomez in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs.

Yes we should've blown the **** out of this team. If we had TT would've had a hell of a lot more to work with. As for Markov, you're talking like I suggested we dump him for nothing. That's not the case. The prospects I suggested dealing him for were not in the NHL at that time. Those players are now in their mid 20s and scoring 30+ goals a year and we'd have had McD to help on the back end now. Its not like I said that we should let Markov walk...

But ya know, keep on with the strawman stuff.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

We turned down a player who put up 67pts and has 2 Stanley cup rings for Briere's 25pts, 0 rings and is a career -8 in the playoff. It was without a doubt a mistake.

Murray brought so much grit and stability we needed to go out and get 5'10 defensive defenceman to stabilize the third pairing.

Wasting a million doesn't mean much it's only a problem when it starts adding up. Briere is at 4m and playing on the 4th line, Bouillon/Murray are our 6th and 7th at a combined 3m, add that to Parros's 1m and we are without question spending a lot of money on fringe players.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Doubtful, the moneyball strategy wouldn't work in hockey anyways. And if it did you would see Timmins and our scouts drafting players with attitude problems and good results. Its all about character for MB, not skill unfortunately.

At the end of the day Moneyball is as much about market inefficiencies and finding undervalued assets as it is about strict use of stats. Stats is the means they use to find those assets but that premise, even if you don't believe in advanced stats would translate to hockey. BTW advanced stats in hockey are coming along and a lot of the anti stats arguments sounds like the ones we've heard in other sports prior to their general acceptance.

I suppose the closest example from the Habs is how often Timmins seems to draft small, undervalued (because of size bias) skilled players in the draft. Guys like Gallagher, Collberg, Reway, Lehkonen and Andrighetto.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Bergevin is using the tried and true method of hardwork and serious background knowledge about each individual players efficiencies & deficiencies. How they can be incorporated as a functional unit in his team concept, to the best advantage without putting them in positions where their deficiencies are exposed. If you follow that like all of their players do, they become a force for any team to deal with let alone devise a system to beat them.

Look back through time Habs teams in the past and all of their teams were based on teamwork, where every player backchecked and keyed on defence first. This is Bergevin's secret, it's called hard work by every player.:handclap:

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
GOXNxY7.gif

His stategy it seems is to dance like an idiot
and take the attention away from his players
so they can win. And Its working! :nod:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Yes, I do realize that. Back in February, you said his next few moves would tell a lot. I asked if you were more impressed with the Weaver and Vanek acquisitions (plus Wiese that had just been made).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, I do realize that. Back in February, you said his next few moves would tell a lot. I asked if you were more impressed with the Weaver and Vanek acquisitions (plus Wiese that had just been made).
Definitely impressed.

Like I said, it erases the offseason completely in my mind. Because (to MB's credit) those deals were short term. As much as I didn't like them, at least they aren't albatrosses. If we can keep Vanek, I think we're in really good shape over the next few seasons.

Still think we need a new coach though. :)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Definitely impressed.

Like I said, it erases the offseason completely in my mind. Because (to MB's credit) those deals were short term. As much as I didn't like them, at least they aren't albatrosses. If we can keep Vanek, I think we're in really good shape over the next few seasons.

Do you feel that our roster is top 5 in the NHL this year?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

If I can answer for him.

top-5 goalie with serviceable backup;
top-5 dman and a top-30 dman as no. 2;
A pair of 35 goal scorers on the first line;
Gallagher and Plekanec on the 2nd line;
Eller, Bourque, Gionta on the 3rd line;
Moen, Prust, Weise, Bournival, Briere populating the 4th line;

I think we're doing ok, we're top-5. With the additions of Vanek, Weaver, and Weise, this is the best team we've had in a long time. We would be top-5 in the standings if Vanek had started the season in Montreal.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009

Coach
Do you honestly think that Bergevin has been given enough time to build a top 5 team?
Although people may argue his off-season moves, one thing that cannot be contested is that he has not had enough time to build properly. A lot of his moves have been stop-gaps, ie/ Briere.

His deadline moves rated nothing short of an A

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
They were brutal moves. Briere for four mil and two years and a NMC is a joke no matter what. And when you factor in Jagr's avaialbility it's even worse. No reason to have Murray in the lineup over either Tinordi or Beaulieu (especially Beaulieu.) We're talking about a guy who shouldn't be in the NHL.

Really? You would play a raw d-man who is still in the A and another who hasn't cracked the lineup because he needs more careful nurturing. Yet you're probably one of those fans who complains we don't have management like the Red Wings. And when we do get one that utilizes the Red Wings strategy you complain that he keeps prospects down.

If we brought up Beaulieu & Tinordi this year two brutal things would have happened.

1) We would not have made the playoffs.
2) We would have placed them in over their heads and probably screwed with their development. They weren't ready to take on NHL responsibilities. But again you'll probably argue you know more than MB, Lapointe, Brisebois, Mellanby and Dudley.

the fact that MB kept Chucky & Gally last year tells me he'll keep a player here if he believes he can do the job. Tinordi & Beaulieu he obviously felt were not ready.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Wasting a million doesn't mean much it's only a problem when it starts adding up. Briere is at 4m and playing on the 4th line, Bouillon/Murray are our 6th and 7th at a combined 3m, add that to Parros's 1m and we are without question spending a lot of money on fringe players.

And yet we managed to weasel our way to 4th in the conference. You know there's an expression: the proof is in the pudding. Even though you and Lafleurs Guy are incapable of seeing the value of MB's moves, maybe just maybe the fact that we were 4th in the conference this year and 3rd last year should be two big hints that his moves aren't as brutal as you guys claim.

If the team was floundering, I could understand you guys coming here and criticizing MB. But the team has been good to very good since he took over.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
People have such short memories when the team is winning. Bergie will be a prophet until our cup run ends where he'll end up being the worse GM ever.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
You arm chair GM and Coaches that still live with your mothers are too many to mention let alone explain the do's and don'ts of hockey.

To build a really successful team you need guys that will help you during the regular season and you need guys that can push you in the playoffs.

Regular season is a total different game than the playoffs. The signings in the summer and the trades during the season were made for different reasons. Briere was for playoffs...Murray and Parros for regular season....Weise and Vanek for both seasons.
(and yes Parros and Murray did help....but you live with you mother and never been in a locker room to know how loved and appreciated theses guys are)

Say what you ALWAYS say about MB and MT.............but keep enjoying the HABS playoff run and remember the depth we have while your enjoying a good home cooked meal from your loving mother watching the Habs on TV.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
If I can answer for him.

I think we're doing ok, we're top-5. With the additions of Vanek, Weaver, and Weise, this is the best team we've had in a long time. We would be top-5 in the standings if Vanek had started the season in Montreal.

I think that's a tough argument to make. SJ, BOS, STL, CHI, LA are all a level ahead. Anaheim too, though I have them a notch below those 5. I think Montreal looks particularly good right now: the non-performers (Briere, Eller, Bourque) are looking good at the moment; Desharnais is looking strong; Plekanec is excelling against fundamentally poor (so far) opposition. These guys up against the Getzlafs, Toews, et al would be looking different.

Montreal's more in NY's category, which isn't bad. NYR's got great goaltending, similar (if not better) D, some interesting forwards, but not really at that top tier level.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No. Do you?
If I can answer for him.

We're getting closer. We have a lot of pieces and Vanek is a huge one.

We need Galchenyuk to realize his potential.
Really? You would play a raw d-man who is still in the A and another who hasn't cracked the lineup because he needs more careful nurturing.
Over Bouillion? Of course I would! Who the hell wouldn't?

Beaulieu is NHL ready man. He should've been with the team all year long. The only reason he hasn't "cracked" the lineup is because our coach is an idiot.
Yet you're probably one of those fans who complains we don't have management like the Red Wings. And when we do get one that utilizes the Red Wings strategy you complain that he keeps prospects down.
Shut up with the strawman crap.

Challenge me on what I've actually written, not on some fictional crap that you want to make up because you can't come up with a decent argument.
If we brought up Beaulieu & Tinordi this year two brutal things would have happened.

1) We would not have made the playoffs.
2) We would have placed them in over their heads and probably screwed with their development. They weren't ready to take on NHL responsibilities. But again you'll probably argue you know more than MB, Lapointe, Brisebois, Mellanby and Dudley.
1) Dead wrong. We would've been a better team.
2) Beaulieu has proven that he's NHL ready. Without a doubt. He's light years ahead of either Cube or Murray. Tinordi is more raw but he should've been given the whole year to develop.

Regardless... neither Murray nor Bouillion belong in the NHL. And btw, when we signed Murray I was cautiously optimistic that he'd be a decent stop-gap. His not being signed by anyone but us until the 11th hour was a red flag but I was hoping he'd be good. He wasn't. He's absolutely brutal.
the fact that MB kept Chucky & Gally last year tells me he'll keep a player here if he believes he can do the job. Tinordi & Beaulieu he obviously felt were not ready.
I believe this was a coaching decision, not MB's. 'Cause there's no way in the world MB would ask MT to play Cube on the PP for example.

This year MT felt that we should play Bouillion on the PP, play Murray more than Subban on occassion, pair PK with both these clowns and watch his play absolutely plummet.

Sorry but you are making my point for me.
And yet we managed to weasel our way to 4th in the conference. You know there's an expression: the proof is in the pudding. Even though you and Lafleurs Guy are incapable of seeing the value of MB's moves, maybe just maybe the fact that we were 4th in the conference this year and 3rd last year should be two big hints that his moves aren't as brutal as you guys claim.

If the team was floundering, I could understand you guys coming here and criticizing MB. But the team has been good to very good since he took over.
Murray had negative value to us. So did Parros. Briere wasn't as bad but he was basically a non-factor all year long and in his case its no so much that he's a bad player as it has to do with opportunity cost. We could've spent that money a whole lot better somewhere else - ie. Jaromir Jagr.

And you're talking like I've done nothing but trash MB, that's not the case. Some good and some bad. But you're focusing only on my criticisms and pretending that's all I've given towards him.
I think that's a tough argument to make. SJ, BOS, STL, CHI, LA are all a level ahead. Anaheim too, though I have them a notch below those 5. I think Montreal looks particularly good right now: the non-performers (Briere, Eller, Bourque) are looking good at the moment; Desharnais is looking strong; Plekanec is excelling against fundamentally poor (so far) opposition. These guys up against the Getzlafs, Toews, et al would be looking different.

Montreal's more in NY's category, which isn't bad. NYR's got great goaltending, similar (if not better) D, some interesting forwards, but not really at that top tier level.
I agree. Tier two right now.

If Galchenyuk develops some more (would've been nice to see him get more opportunity this year) then that will be another huge piece. I really feel that we've got a better roster than we've shown and that some of our younger players should be getting more opportunities than they are.

Last edited:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Definitely impressed.

You talk and talk on here but were total in shock when you started a poll about who was the most valuable player for the Habs.... Carey vs PK.....and Carey won in a land slide if you remember and you couldn't understand why PK wasn't the most valuable player......and now you don't understand MB and MT but they keep on winning!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad