I Think I Figured Out Marc Bergevin's Strategy...

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
I saw the movie "MoneyBall" the other night and for those who haven't. Seen it you should as it's a pretty good movie. In the movie Brad Pitt is the GM of the Oakland A's, he ends up building his team using statistical equations to figure out which players to pick up and let go. So I'm wondering if Marc Bergevin is using the same method with our Habs, it would explain a lot of the moves he has made so far for players no one wanted. What do you all think? Is MB playing "MoneyPuck" with our team?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No, it's the opposite. If he used advanced stats, Parros, Murray and Briere would never have been signed, and Diaz would still be on our team. He also would have never hired Therrien.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I saw the movie "MoneyBall" the other night and for those who haven't. Seen it you should as it's a pretty good movie. In the movie Brad Pitt is the GM of the Oakland A's, he ends up building his team using statistical equations to figure out which players to pick up and let go. So I'm wondering if Marc Bergevin is using the same method with our Habs, it would explain a lot of the moves he has made so far for players no one wanted. What do you all think? Is MB playing "MoneyPuck" with our team?

Doubtful, the moneyball strategy wouldn't work in hockey anyways. And if it did you would see Timmins and our scouts drafting players with attitude problems and good results. Its all about character for MB, not skill unfortunately.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
What do you all think? Is MB playing "MoneyPuck" with our team?

:laugh:

Maybe if by MoneyPuck you mean "doing the opposite". He's about as old-school, anti-analytical as you can get.

Here's an interesting excerpt about Dudley, Bergevin's right-hand man: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/04/15/atlantas-new-g-m-rick-dudley-book-excerpt/

Bergevin's attitudes seem to line up with Dudley's; I wouldn't be utterly shocked if you told me that Dudley was really driving the team through the inexperienced Bergevin, but in any case the result is the same. Bergevin does pretty much exactly what the analytics would tell him not to do, with the unfortunate results we've gotten.

Last edited:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
A moneyball team would be more like the Nashville predators or maybe the Yotes. They are both teams that don't have tons of money but seems to have a good coach that plays a good system.

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
Well the Habs have been extremely boring lately, just like Moneyball was.

No, Bergevin doesn't have a clue. He's in over his head.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
We are a team that spends to the cap, so this is nothing like Moneyball.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Also, Moneyball strategy can work in sports like baseball, that is basically an individual sport. Would not work in hockey or football.

The Panthers seem to be trying this strategy though. But it certainly ain't conclusive.

Last edited:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Has someone like bill James done anything credible in this area that we can compare Bergevin to?
The reason is the game of hockey is too fluid to analyze at that level.

For all the buzz that occurred , how many World Series have been won off Moneyball? And please don't tell me Bosox they have a monster payroll .

Different game , no comparable to hockey but yes another thread that Bergevin can be bashed.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Has someone like bill James done anything credible in this area that we can compare Bergevin to?

For all the buzz that occurred , how many World Series have been won off Moneyball? And please don't tell me Bosox they have a monster payroll .

Different game , no comparable to hockey but yes another thread that Bergevin can be bashed.

Moneyball have nothing to do with ressources. It can be used with any budget. It is about evaluating correctly what a player bring on the field.

They realized that Homeruns were vastly overrated and on base average was underrated. They used it in trade, drafting, FA etc. And yes the RedSox copied it and used it to win the World series.

Bergevin has not given this team a particular identity so I don't think that he evaluates players differently than other gm. In fact he seems to value character over any stats, it's kinda anti-moneyball.

I agree with people that say that it's very hard to apply to hockey.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

He's actually anti-moneyball, instead of picking up good players with deficiencies in the market, he is picking up bad players. There is nothing close to a moneyball type strategy that MB is employing. In fact, I don't think MB can do basic arithmetic.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
He relies a lot on character, which we all know. The problem is that "character" isn't what makes a team good, it's just something that makes a good team better. We need to start with a good team before being pushed over the edge.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

Moneyball has absolutely nothing to do with the size of your budget, it's about exploiting deficiencies in the market, valuing things a player positively contributes rather than focusing on the negatives and optimizing those positives with the roster. The Bosox definitely deployed moneyball to win the world series and had originally offered Beane a huge contract to have him employ it for them, but Beane declined.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I guess in some senses the pre Bergevin Habs have employed a bit of a moneypuck style strategy with regards to the whole smurf thing but I wouldn't really say it was an organizational strategy or anything.

Players like Gallagher, Diaz, and Desharnais are providing value at the NHL level and we got them either for free or late in the draft because they're small or "soft". Gionta was signed to an entirely reasonable contract since he's small, look at the deal Nathan Horton signed this summer, his career production is very similar to pre Habs Gionta but he got more money and 2 more years. Cammalleri's contract was also pretty reasonable since he's small, 27 year old guys coming off a 39 goal year usually don't get signed to 5 year deals at reasonable cap hits.

So far Bergevin has been the polar opposite. The more efficient signing in the summer would have been to either retain Ryder, go after a guy like MacArthur, or find a guy like Raymond who had fallen out of favour and sign him cheap, not go after a name like Briere and give him money after a steep decline.

Diaz is the kind of player a GM exploiting market inefficiencies would hang onto, and Emelin is the type they would let go. Emelin's value is inflated because he's physical and Diaz's value is less because he's perceived as soft. The efficient move would be to retain Diaz and not hand out big money and term to Emelin. Then there's the dead horse that is Murray, he's the polar opposite of a GM exploiting market inefficiencies when a guy like Tom Gilbert or Ron Hainsey was still available. The only reason Murray is in the NHL is because the market is inefficient for big guys who hit.

It's not about taking guys who nobody wants because they're past their prime (Murray, Parros, Briere), it's about acquiring good players who are undervalued because they're soft/small/Russian/lazy (Gallagher, Diaz, Kovalev, Ryder).

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
one of the final scenes were the fat guy trips running past 1st base always gives me the chills. Very beautiful scene. Jonah Hill was phenomenal even though his role wasn't historically accurate.

beaverBFP

Dec 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Awesome movie, but I'm pretty sure the plan is to build through the draft. The signings he made (pretty bad ones) were pretty much stop gaps. At least I'm hoping...

Oct 22, 2012
More like.....

habs now:
220px-DazedConfused.jpg

habs next year? :sarcasm: :
godzilla2014_poster2.jpg

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Awesome movie, but I'm pretty sure the plan is to build through the draft...

...as has been stated, oh, about 300,000,000,000,000 times or so, every team builds through the draft...the intelligent ones also use other methods to aide in the building of said teams, such as intelligent trades, good offseason signings, wise pickups, etc...perhaps Bergevin should think of getting creative and partake...:rant::shakehead:rant:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Marc Bergevin's strategy is to evaluate player based on what worked for him as a player - effort level, willingness to take punishment, personality, and of course character. Of course Bergevin was a fringe talent journeyman, but hey, he had a use, therefore the more players like that, the more use, right?

And yeah, like MathMan said, Dudley is a notoriously old school evaluator who is the opposite of "moneyball" style evaluation, and Dudley seems to be Bergevin's mentor far more than the Bowmans were.

My outsider, unsubstantiated guess is that at Chicago his job was to fill in the pieces by finding gritty character role players like Shaw, while other, more qualified guys focused on evaluating the talent in other areas. This could be complete nonsense, but it recognized why he'd priority a guy like Briere for the "skilled" role over much more qualified options - after all Briere has a great narrative, undersized player who picks it up in big moments.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Well the Habs have been extremely boring lately, just like Moneyball was.

No, Bergevin doesn't have a clue. He's in over his head.

They don't care if the product is boring. It's not about entertaining the fans and it really never has been. It's about winning games, something we do better than not.

ppil

Sep 22, 2005
Quebec
I don't get the "Bergevin doesn't know what he's doing" thing. I agree he hasn't done much yet, but pretty much all good potential UFA are signed before hitting the market, and there are barely any trades...

I wouldn't be surprise to see more lawyers and finance type of guys becoming gms in the near future, with the current kind of gm having more of an advisory role, as it is now much more about sound salary cap management (managing players turnover, signing players at the right time in their career, etc.) than building a good locker room.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Bergevin is the opposite of Moneyball type thinking. He's old school.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Baseball is a sport that is a statistical junkie's dream. I think hockey is much more a game of intangibles, so the numbers, while having some value, can only take you so far on their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad