Speculation: I need elite speculation on Josh Leivo

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm sure dubas can see the numbers that show that leivo is quite good, and maybe better than a number of those names you just listed.

I'm going to ask you a a question, other than MAYBE Ennis who do you think he's better than?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I have been a pretty big fan of Leivo for a while.
His skating and 200ft game are what's holding him back from being a good third liner.

He's smart, hell of a shot, and uses his size to his advantage. If he can get half a step over a summer, or dedicate himself to the PK he could be really useful.

Players who take time to develop and have had a team show they have their back usually show a ton of loyalty too

Reactions: Lauro

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm going to ask you a a question, other than MAYBE Ennis who do you think he's better than?
he might compete with any of them not named Marner or Nylander.

And I'm sure dubas thinks he deserves a chance to do just that.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
He's the best puck protector on the team after Tavares & Matthews. Would love to see those 3 on a line at the same time

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It's a shame that his prime years are being wasted in the pressbox. If Babcock refuses to play him, Dubas should trade him to a team that will give him an opportunity.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Leivo is a casualty of Babcock, not of his own play. He's never looked bad when slotted into the lineup, and when given more ice and better situations has looked good.

Babcock hates him. Who knows why. Maybe he said something sarcastic and Babcock holds a very mean a petty grudge.

Reactions: rumman and BigBlu

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I have been a pretty big fan of Leivo for a while.
His skating and 200ft game are what's holding him back from being a good third liner.

He's smart, hell of a shot, and uses his size to his advantage. If he can get half a step over a summer, or dedicate himself to the PK he could be really useful.

Players who take time to develop and have had a team show they have their back usually show a ton of loyalty too

Be realistic. He is in no way dedicating himself to the PK all of a sudden.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Leivo has the inside track on all of them. Marchment has less than a 5% chance of starting with the Leafs next year. Grundstrom likely starts in the AHL for a good reason. Ennis has to be far better than he has been in the past 3 or so years to beat Leivo. Leivo, right now, is by far the best option for the Leafs.

Ennis actually is 10x better than Leivo and 20x faster he has a better shot

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ennis actually is 10x better than Leivo and 20x faster he has a better shot
that explains why we just signed Ennis for a league min deal as a UFA, and why we traded Soshnikov instead of trying to get Leivo through waivers & protected him over decent prospects on expansion. The Leafs definitely do not think that Ennis is viewed as more valuable than Leivo

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leivo and Grunstrom will battle it out for that 4th line left wing spot. I think Grundstrom will likely come out on top, and Leivo will then be dealt.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Such a strange circumstance for this guy.
The team did a lot to hold on to him.
In kind, he extended at a great rate rather than become a UFA.
Always produced, good size, good talent.
But can’t elbow his way in for some reason.
Now rumblings about Maroon....
I’m pulling for him, but there sure is that vibe that he’s not going to get that much of an opportunity, and he might get sold ‘low’

Reactions: SAMCRO44

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I hope they give Leivo a real shot this season. I think Grundstrom will eventually be the better player, but no harm in having him on the Marlies for another year.

Small sample size, but Leivo is actually pretty good advanced stats wise 5/5, takes the puck away more than gives it away, he even wins faceoffs when he has to. In fact his only weakness was his relative Corsi on the PP, which only happened a couple of times last season. A perceived skating weakness hasn't helped, but when you are running with gazelles, that's going to happen.

Healthy competition is all he asks, now with JVR gone he should have a fair chance at a left wing spot, whether the coach lets him is another question.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
that explains why we just signed Ennis for a league min deal as a UFA, and why we traded Soshnikov instead of trying to get Leivo through waivers & protected him over decent prospects on expansion. The Leafs definitely do not think that Ennis is viewed as more valuable than Leivo

Ennis is one way contract..so we signed him to get claimed? Leivo will be traded I think. Ennis will compete for 4th line position with grundstrom and marchment.

Ennis 22pts last yr sounds like a 4th liner and he always gives it his all..works hard and fast as hell. Remember Babcock really like johnsson and kappy on 4th line the speed of their game was too much for most NHL 4th lines to handle.

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri kap/brown
En/grund/march--blank-- kap/brown/

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He was kept as NHL ready injury insurance so the prospects didnt have to be touched. Then they had zero inuries to their wingers so he just languished. LOL at people branding him as a dud after almost no usage in the last couple of years. I agree he wasn't good enough to steal a job this season but we don't know exactly what he is. Hyman had 1 point in his first 13 games as a rookie season beside Matthews but they let him play through it. Leivo had a couple of 3 games stretched where he dressed but didn't see his 13th game until February. Having said that I doubt he makes it to training camp. AJ has leap-frogged him and even if he doesn't start producing points they will keep Kapy around for his blistering speed. Best case for Josh is probably he gets some prime minutes in preseason and gets dealt then. He is a middle 6 type player, not a 4th line energy guy. Engvall and Moore are waiver exempt, so they have their backups. Adios Josh. We hardly knew ya.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Not more valuable no (although contracts don't prove anything), but I do think the Ennis signing shows they want more depth in that spot Leivo is vying for.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
From an asset management point of view we have nothing to lose by giving Leivo a quick shot. If he does well he establishes trade value. If not, he is waived and that's that.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
So much average-good speculation ITT, the man asked for ELITE speculation and I see these posts, smh.

As a GENERATIONAL speculator, this makes me very sad.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Them bringing in Ennis is definitely the nail in Leivo's coffin. He'll be moved before the season opener im sure. We play a speed game, its becoming our identity....Leivo (already doesnt seem to have a fan in Babcock) will have a heck of a time trying to beat out Ennis or Grundstrom. I feel for the guy, but he'll be playing elsewhere i hope. Be terrible to have him a healthy scratch again

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Babcock trusts Leivo only on the PP it seems. When he did play it was 8:41 on average at even strength but he had a 1:53 average on the PP which was good for 10th on the team.
The good news for him is that JVR and Bozak left. Maybe he'll get his chance on the 4th line and 2nd PP unit.
this is what i'm expecting to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad