Speculation: I need elite speculation on Josh Leivo

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Curious if Dubas is a bigger fan of him than other guys in the front office.

Would be fine on the 4th line at the start of the season.

Reactions: Lauro

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not more valuable no (although contracts don't prove anything), but I do think the Ennis signing shows they want more depth in that spot Leivo is vying for.
Actions speak louder than words: the Leafs think that Leivo will get taken if he's available, Ennis was gotten for as little as he could have been gotten for while having been available to the entire league for nothing but money

The Ennis signing is confusing to me, if it's not Leivo, there's still Johnsson, Kapanen, Grundstrom, Engvall that look ready to compete for a spot. Maybe just an insurance policy that they can waive if he's beaten for a job out of camp

Ennis is one way contract..so we signed him to get claimed? Leivo will be traded I think. Ennis will compete for 4th line position with grundstrom and marchment.

Ennis 22pts last yr sounds like a 4th liner and he always gives it his all..works hard and fast as hell. Remember Babcock really like johnsson and kappy on 4th line the speed of their game was too much for most NHL 4th lines to handle.

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri kap/brown
En/grund/march--blank-- kap/brown/

Ennis on a one way, one year, league min contract in a year where anyone could have had him. Leivo has been protected from being claimed, because the Leafs know he would be claimed

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Feel sorry for Leivo he a good player, good on cycle and board play, good shot etc, got goals on his call ups over previous years, got size, yet he rides the pines, Geez man play him or trade him your ruining his career, I don't blame him for being P1s$ed off

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Actions speak louder than words: the Leafs think that Leivo will get taken if he's available, Ennis was gotten for as little as he could have been gotten for while having been available to the entire league for nothing but money

The Ennis signing is confusing to me, if it's not Leivo, there's still Johnsson, Kapanen, Grundstrom, Engvall that look ready to compete for a spot. Maybe just an insurance policy that they can waive if he's beaten for a job out of camp

Ennis on a one way, one year, league min contract in a year where anyone could have had him. Leivo has been protected from being claimed, because the Leafs know he would be claimed
You seem to be putting more emphasis on the Leafs protecting Leivo instead of some other fodder than you do the Leafs signing someone to compete with or replace Leivo.

Some view the Ennis signing as a sign of how little faith they have in Leivo...this may be why you are confused. You still haven't clued into how little significance Leivo has to this or any other NHL team.

Grundstrom and Engvall with 100% start in the AHL this year.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You seem to be putting more emphasis on the Leafs protecting Leivo instead of some other fodder than you do the Leafs signing someone to compete with or replace Leivo.

Some view the Ennis signing as a sign of how little faith they have in Leivo...this may be why you are confused. You still haven't clued into how little significance Leivo has to this or any other NHL team.

Grundstrom and Engvall with 100% start in the AHL this year.
its hard fact that they protected Leivo, and pretty easy to read the tea leaves that they traded Soshnikov so to not have to put Leivo on waivers. If the Leafs brass thought Leivo wasn't going to get claimed, they wouldn't have done those things at the cost of two NHL players, full stop. So maybe call up Shanahan and Dubas to tell them that no NHL team wants or has wanted him, they obviously don't know that

I'm also not saying that Leivo's being endowed a spot, just that he's viewed by our management group as a guy who would be claimed if he hit waivers, and therefor more valuable by their interpretation than the UFA who couldn't get more than the absolute lowest available NHL contract on a team that the competition to stay in the NHL is among the most difficult in the league due to depth

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not more valuable no (although contracts don't prove anything), but I do think the Ennis signing shows they want more depth in that spot Leivo is vying for.

What is wrong with depth? With the Leafs trading Martin and likely viewing Cracknell as a Ben Smith replacement, they had a hole for a 14th forward who could play both wings. Ennis does that.

Leivo knew he was always going to have to compete, but I do not think bringing in Ennis makes his job much harder. Ennis is just another guy trying to take his job away, but Leivo has better guys to worry about than him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I say you give Leivo an audition to see if he can be a JVR style replacement and approach 15 goals slotting up and down the lineup, but I am concerned he probably hasn't gotten enough games the past two years and might be stagnant and ruined.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
its hard fact that they protected Leivo, and pretty easy to read the tea leaves that they traded Soshnikov so to not have to put Leivo on waivers. If the Leafs brass thought Leivo wasn't going to get claimed, they wouldn't have done those things at the cost of two NHL players, full stop. So maybe call up Shanahan and Dubas to tell them that no NHL team wants or has wanted him, they obviously don't know that

I'm also not saying that Leivo's being endowed a spot, just that he's viewed by our management group as a guy who would be claimed if he hit waivers, and therefor more valuable by their interpretation than the UFA who couldn't get more than the absolute lowest available NHL contract on a team that the competition to stay in the NHL is among the most difficult in the league due to depth
I don't think tyou are saying he is promised anything. I just think you spin every single transaction as being Leivo positive. One can easily suggest that one of Leivo and Sosh had to go and Sosh yielded a greater return than Leivo.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
What is wrong with depth? With the Leafs trading Martin and likely viewing Cracknell as a Ben Smith replacement, they had a hole for a 14th forward who could play both wings. Ennis does that.

Leivo knew he was always going to have to compete, but I do not think bringing in Ennis makes his job much harder. Ennis is just another guy trying to take his job away, but Leivo has better guys to worry about than him.
Depth is great, I think we need more of it at every position save for goal.

I am merely pointing out that the Ennis signing shows their doubt in Leivo and suggests they want to start Grundstrom in the AHL...all of which I agree with.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Leivo would mesh well with Tavares IMO, their slower heavy style of game should work well together. Both are a nightmare on the boards and Tavares can take advantage of the rebounds Leivo's shot creates.

Maybe not full time, but if we double shift our top-3 centers with the 4th line wingers and keep the 4th line C fresh for heavy PK time.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
My generational speculation is that Leivo gets included in a trade before the season starts.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
for the record, guys, dubas led the charge to extend Leivo at 925k - much more than he gave to the likes of Ennis and jooris.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I am merely pointing out that the Ennis signing shows their doubt in Leivo and suggests they want to start Grundstrom in the AHL...all of which I agree with.

you realize they only had 11 forwards who had played in the Jul, before these league min signings like Ennis and jooros, right?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't think tyou are saying he is promised anything. I just think you spin every single transaction as being Leivo positive. One can easily suggest that one of Leivo and Sosh had to go and Sosh yielded a greater return than Leivo.
Would the difference between a 4th and 5th round pick sway your decision to trading a guy who you saw as more useful? They chose Leivo over Soshnikov

And the premise of this (latest) little anti Leivo rant of yours is that the leafs aren't interpreting Leivo as more valuable than Tyler "scrap heap" Ennis. If you want to spin my position that they have given us lots of reason to believe they see Leivo as more valuable than that guy, that's fine...Engvall, Korshkov, Brooks, etc are all also more valuable than Ennis fwiw

Haha, you're allowed to take big interpretive liberties like this, but someone else saying that the leafs literally using a protection slot on Leivo means they see some value in him is spinning it. Never change man

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1.Tavares 11.0m
2.Marleau 6.25
3.Kadri 4.5

4.Nylander ???
5.Hyman 2.25
6.Brown 2.1

7.Matthews .925
8.Leivo 0.925
9.Marner .894

10.Kapanen .863
11.Johnsson ???

12.Ennis .65
13.Jooris .65
14.Cracknell .65

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Leivo would mesh well with Tavares IMO, their slower heavy style of game should work well together. Both are a nightmare on the boards and Tavares can take advantage of the rebounds Leivo's shot creates.

Maybe not full time, but if we double shift our top-3 centers with the 4th line wingers and keep the 4th line C fresh for heavy PK time.

Leivo-Tavares-Kapanen/Marner would be disgusting

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Leivo played great with Kadri, but this can't be repeated with 43 as the shutdown C now.
I also think that he'd look great with Tavares too.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

Yep, even though I know it's 100% unrealistic I think Leivo-Tavares-Kadri would be an unreal line with Marleau-Matthews-Marner & Johnsson-Nylander-Hyman

I'd run Hyman as 4C and play 7D

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I thought the Leafs had a different GM last year who kept Leivo on the roster.

They still have the same coach this year who hasn’t seemed to want to play him.

I’m guessing the new GM is looking for depth players that maybe the incumbent coach will play, so I would not view past actions by the team as representative of the new GM.

Btw I don’t know why Babcock hasn’t liked Leivo either....

Reactions: Cobra777

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
We were lucky last year with injuries. Chances are we won't be again. These signing are for depth, it doesn't mean they don't value Leivo as a potential everyday player.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Leivo played great with Kadri, but this can't be repeated with 43 as the shutdown C now.
I also think that he'd look great with Tavares too.
They can also get away without a shutdown C now. Tavares, Kadri and Matthews can all match up just fine

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
Dubas knows all about Leivo. Leivo has been buried to make Hyman look like an NHL player. It is the same reason he wasn't dealt so he wouldn't score 20 somewhere else.

Tavares elevates his linemates better than anyone else in the league. Hyman will be on his wing guaranteed. No expense will be spared to make Hyman look like an NHL player

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Dubas knows all about Leivo. Leivo has been buried to make Hyman look like an NHL player. It is the same reason he wasn't dealt so he wouldn't score 20 somewhere else.

Tavares elevates his linemates better than anyone else in the league. Hyman will be on his wing guaranteed. No expense will be spared to make Hyman look like an NHL player
Uhh, did Hyman do something to you? That's kinda weird to say after the playoffs Hyman just had.

Reactions: Raymoondo

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He has arb rights next summer so if he isn't used again I'd imagine he'd demand a trade and I'd be fine with that

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Hyman is the champ for the role he plays, effert he gives and his salary

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad