Speculation: I need elite speculation on Josh Leivo

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
How realistic is it that Josh Leivo will be a full time Leaf next season?

Marleau, Hyman, Johnsson and possibly Grunstrom might throw a cold glass of reality into Josh Leivo's face.

At this point is Leivo a throw-in to a trade?

Could Mason Marchment challenge Leivo for the 13th forward position?

Reactions: Ulysses31

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leivo has always been a fulltime Leaf and he also could potentially be a throw in on a trade.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Realistic. He' signed through next year where he has arb rights, and I'd assume would refuse to sign here if he doesn't play much again this upcoming season. His career would be stalled if that happens. He either is dealt this offseason or gets a chance. Leafs could've easily not signed him to an extension and just not QO'd him this summer but they didn't. So they think he has some value.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's too early for this.

If Nylander moves to C, a RW spot opens up. If Nylander stays at W, it's a bit tougher.

Could Brown be in a deal?

Do we sign any free agent winger?

Do we bring back Komarov, or heck, even JVR?

Is Grundstrom NHL ready?

Based on RIGHT NOW, Josh Leivo would be one of our 8 wingers. However, we aren't even at the draft yet.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
somewhat realistic. jvr is most likely leaving which opens up a spot for him. he brings an element that we lack (size)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
if there were no additions upfront I expect Johnsson or Kapanen to be given the top 9 spot over Leivo. so I think he's moved.
i think the leafs will sign a mid-6 forward to a 1 yr deal to replace jvr. i think leivo should get that spot but management might think otherwise

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's hard to get out of babcock's doghouse
Both Leivo and Gauthier are in constant danger of being passed by because of time, other Marlies, any vet/UFA, coaches decisions on trust/multipurpose players.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Figured with JVR and Bozak gone, Leivo and Gauthier would get first dibs, but now, I'm just tired of seeing them in and out of the lineup; blame Babs, sure, but they both need a fresh start elsewhere.

Andreas has proven his worth; this kid has to be in our lineup FT next season.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
(Should be a poll question)

Honestly, did any of you forget he was still on the team?

I noticed that he has 0 NHL playoff games. Not looking good...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Both Leivo and Gauthier are in constant danger of being passed by because of time, other Marlies, any vet/UFA, coaches decisions on trust/multipurpose players.

And yet he's been signed to an extension by management.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Figured with JVR and Bozak gone, Leivo and Gauthier would get first dibs, but now, I'm just tired of seeing them in and out of the lineup; blame Babs, sure, but they both need a fresh start elsewhere.

Andreas has proven his worth; this kid has to be in our lineup FT next season.
The way I see it is that Leivo has looked ok in his games played. Some love him some or meh on him but Johnsson stepped in and everyone saw a player right away and he just kept on being noticeable out there.
For me I get that fans attach to players but I like the team philosophy that if you want to make this team you need to bring your A game every single shift!
Imho that's why Leivo warms a bench and Johnsson will probably surpass him. That and Leivo is not the skater Johnsson is

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He'd need to play 22 games to avoid becoming a free agent. Seems tough to imagine him being a lineup fixture for the Leafs, yet they've done what's been needed to retain him to this point.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Given that he's been repeatedly over taken by Marlie players I think it's safe to say he won't be a full time Leaf next season.

So he will be traded. Probably as a pot sweetener.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Each team need 3 players in the press box each night and you don't want your "almost ready" guys there, you want them playing. Enter Leivo.

Sucks for him (aside from the pay cheque) but it's a role that needs to be filled.

Reactions: saltming

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
How realistic is it that Josh Leivo will be a full time Leaf next season?

Marleau, Hyman, Johnsson and possibly Grunstrom might throw a cold glass of reality into Josh Leivo's face.

At this point is Leivo a throw-in to a trade?

Could Mason Marchment challenge Leivo for the 13th forward position?

I think the better question might be:

If Leivo played on the current Marlies team; what would be his production and where would he rank in terms of importance to the team?

• If the answer comes anywhere close to Johnsson; then he is as important as Johnsson
  • If the answer comes less important than Johnsson but more important than others; then he is better than Grundstrom, Marchment etc...
  • If the answer is as good as Grundstrom, Marchment etc... then he is at that calibre
  • If the answer is below all of them; then Leivo should be just traded or waived as he is not as integral to the team

What I think?
Leivo's confidence has been shattered due the treatment he received; so either Babs builds his confidence up during training camp; OR ELSE he is not gonna pan out.

I had and still have high hopes for Leivo; lets see what happens

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
He has elite Press box skills, that are going to be difficult to be challenged by newcomers.
That's what I was thinking too. How are young kids going to know how to handle the pressures of sitting in the press box. They should have him to assist any young guns coming in and keep them motivated and/or play games with them in the press box to keep their spirits up for when they get their chance to impress Mike Babcock.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I will always defend Leivo because I think if he doesn't make this roster because of Babcock, we've wasted a good talent.

He's got size.

He can play the two way game.

He can play in tight spaces around the net.

He is elite along the boards.

He can shoot the puck better than most of our forwards.

But for some reason he took a back seat to guys like Komarov and Martin. Given the opportunity, it honestly would not surprise me if he's better than Hyman and Brown as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->