I love that hockey is back and it's early but this tourney proves that the playoff atmosphere isn't

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
There the same way without the fans passion pushing the players.

Obviously this should be a no brainer, but the feel of the playoff atmosphere just isn't there (yet). The fans reactions is what pushes the players to react to certain situations and just makes the game more personal and builds up the rivalry between players and teams.

I kind of knew this before the tournament started but as I'm watching the games and it being elimination type of games I was curious to see if the grit and jam that we normally see in the playoffs would come through, but it goes to show how important fans and their passion translates to teams and players building up the drama between series. So far I'm getting an exhibition type of feel and again.. I'm happy hockey is back but that excitement preparing to watch it just isn't the same.

Would this change come semi finals? Is it just because we are still in qualifications? I guess we'll find out.. but I really do miss the boos for bad calls and the cheers for a good hit. Players rush to make the line changes and the speed and tempo is just somso higher..

The winner still gets a ring and the Stanley Cup at the end of it all, so I'm curious to see how this will change the closer we get to the finals.

Reactions: The Cobra

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I thought I was going to watch, but forgot all about it, both games played so far.

But they want the money. Health risks do not matter.

It's not easy getting excited for that.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I thought I was going to watch, but forgot all about it, both games played so far.

Meh. I think that they've done a spectacular job at mitigating risks so far. I am the furthest thing from a fan of the leagues and I understand that it's all for the money, but they've done this slow and responsibly throughout the process. I don't think that you'll find many players complaining about the revenue when their paychecks come in in the fall.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I've been fired up for every game and there has been buzz around me for each leafs game. I've been watching multiple games per day. The elimination series feel like playoffs to me and I've loved it. How can anyone not enjoy the hell out of this right now?

And now that they're in the bubble and seeing the protocols taking place I honestly believe the chance of an outbreak happening is next to nill. Not worried about anyone's health at all.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

THE NBA AND NHL HAVE TESTED OVER 1100 PLAYERS, DONE 4000+ TESTS WITH NO POSITIVES. Who knew that a lock down of people with controlled access to each other with the use of masks and proper testing would stop people from getting sick and spreading the sickness.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I am surprised how good da games have been this early on. I expected much worse but boys are in good shape and each game you can see da progressions. Of course it is much more fun being there live at games but nothing anyone can do about that issue. And parties are not same either due to limitations at bars. But as cases continue to drop and playoffs start up next week I think you sense a greater buzz around city for our Leafs. Now we just need 2 more wins and start da party.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I am surprised how good da games have been this early on. I expected much worse but boys are in good shape and each game you can see da progressions. Of course it is much more fun being there live at games but nothing anyone can do about that issue. And parties are not same either due to limitations at bars. But as cases continue to drop and playoffs start up next week I think you sense a greater buzz around city for our Leafs. Now we just need 2 more wins and start da party.
18 wins**

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
It's been great, given the circumstances. I too forget there's no fans for stretches of the game. Yeah it sucks there's less energy from the fans but I think the players have done a great job at bringing the intensity in an empty arena.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
i havent minded the games at all. you forget there are no fans pretty much as soon as the puck drops.

the only thing i hate is that god dam birds eye view camera angle. stop trying to make it work. nobody likes it

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Of course it was never going to be the "same".

To me, there are people in life that accept new problems, concerns, and negative developments, head on and adapt/fight. And there are those that are looking for any reason to make excuses as to why they aren't winning or coping.

I think this goes for both the fans and the players in this situation. This is what it is and our reality. The team that wins the Cup will have accepted the new reality, realized that every team is dealing with the same obstacles, and chosen to fight and compete. It's a new challenge, which is unprecedented. Which teams will welcome it head on, not complain about it, and step up to the challenge?

Same goes for fans - which fans can accept the new reality and take pleasure in enjoying the teams ability to overcome the new adversity. I realize we're not all robots and we can share our dissatisfaction for a new reality, but I guess I just don't understand lingering or staying in that mindset because it's completely unproductive - appreciate what we have and how things could still be much worse than it is now - I still find myself geeked for each upcoming game personally.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

There are health risks in everything we as humans do. I think people don't seem to understand that human beings were not invulnerable before COVID but you'd think thats the case by the way people are talking. If you're goign to start talking about health risks, then I think you should stop watching hockey entirely, because plays like what happened to Muzzin can and will happen, thats a bigger risk to his health than COVID would be. I think if you asked him or anyone in the NHL , they'd rather have COVID than a broken neck and potentially paralyzed , don't you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad