I love that hockey is back and it's early but this tourney proves that the playoff atmosphere isn't

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I've enjoyed the games I've watched. They've done a fine job at resuming this season. Way better than I expected.
With regards to the fans, during play I barely notice it. After a goal is scored, and when a player holds the puck behind their net, or on the boards are really the only times I notice the missing fans. The fans that bang on the glass with their hands when the puck is on the boards or behind the net should be banned from stadiums. It's annoying.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why do you still insist on talking like a moron?
To each his won man to each his own ... Leaf fans come in all types ... but I am not a moron far from it .. i have a BSc, mba and a CA (now CPA) after playing and not many guys do ... a word to da wise in life "best to focus on yourself and your family"

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
To each his won man to each his own ... Leaf fans come in all types ... but I am not a moron far from it .. i have a BSc, mba and a CA (now CPA) after playing and not many guys do ... a word to da wise in life "best to focus on yourself and your family"

I'll just leave this here and put back on ignore. Kadri was celebrating his anniversary as per his instagram and Mitch was with PM's family. You're so completely full of it

upload_2020-8-6_12-26-53.png

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Really couldn't disagree more am right into it now. The games have been hard fought too, I cannot believe someone compared it to preseason not with that effort defensively and shot blocking SMH.

+1

I'm sure you're a smart guy but constantly using "da" instead of "the" is annoying and anyone reading your posts for the first time could easily think that you are a moron. Why do you insist on doing this? I mean of course you're free to do what you like but still, why be like this?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah it just isn't there in terms of atmosphere. A given considering the situation. But considering there is discussion about the lack of fans not being noticeable or things feeling exactly the same clearly it is a discussion worth having.

At least the hockey itself is still good. The energy isn't going to be at peak levels with the way things have to be. But at least we do have something to watch here.

In some ways it is a comfort. Confirmation that having people in there creating that energy has value in and of itself. Can have hockey without it, but isn't as good with that element missing. Something to look forward to when (very far) down the road we can watch these games in arenas again.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I don't know about anyone else but I was hanging on every shot, faceoff and whistle in the 2nd Leafs/Jackets game (a little more than the first as the 2nd was pretty much a must-win for Toronto).

The only time it felt really different or odd was the silence when Muzzin was injured. Of course it would have been great to see and hear the fans go nuts when Matthews scored that critical first goal, but it's been more intense and exciting as I could have imagined possible with no fans.

The round robin games though, not quite. It's tough to get excited about games where there is nothing on the line - all the teams are guaranteed to be in the next round, and there won't be any easily beatable teams getting through to the first round & they won't know who they are facing likely until after the play-in/RR is over, so why play 100% 5-gear hockey for better seeding?

Reactions: kb and saffronleaf

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Disagree.

Enjoying myself.

Seems like the only game you were able to catch so far was isles-panthers :laugh:

Reactions: saffronleaf

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
It's perfectly fine. The game quality is great, and it's hard to notice a difference with the crowd unless you're purposefully looking for it.
It's fine for the circumstances, but I disagree, you notice the lack of intensity without the playoff crowd.. as much as Toronto gets ragged on for a quiet arena... Come playoff time we are as loud as any other.. playoffs bring a different atmosphere than regular season.
ACC is a library anyways. The game quality is excellent.
Playoff atmosphere in the ACC is much different than regular season. I agree we are quiet during the 82game seasons due to suits taking the lower bowl, but playoffs brings something else.. that with the crowd gathering outside amplifies the feel. Again, it's better than nothing but you notice the difference.
NHL really pulled this off well.

Playoffs with fans > Playoffs without fans >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>... no playoffs
100% agree.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
To me the best thing about hockey is the passionate fights and scoring. The NHL has taken out the fighting so all that seems to be left is the... scoring? You get a team like Columbus playing and frankly I'm not on the edge of my seat watching the games anymore. I'll watch the game with other electronics to keep me entertained, or not watch at all and catch the condensed replay later. The lack of fans in the arena doesn't bother me one bit. Use to not even want to get up to go for a pee during commercials it was so intense.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
I thought I was going to watch, but forgot all about it, both games played so far.

But they want the money. Health risks do not matter.

It's not easy getting excited for that.

Lol here he is...it's THAT guy

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Fully agree.

NHL has done a great job in its presentation
Not dissing what the NHL has done at all. They've done great considering the circumstances. I would put it on par with the NBA.

The tourney set up is great, I just miss tuning in to other games and watching the rivalry grow with the crowds frustration/exciting growing as the drama progresses through the series and you can tell the players feed off of it and the intensity grows the faster it gets to game 7. What I'm saying is.. it just isn't there yet in this tourney.. the players are playing their game.. but it just proves how much fans watching can create the momentum swings and get in the players heads.

Again.. this might change and we might see different type of games the closer we get to the finals. As much as I'm enjoying it still.. i just don't feel it will measure up to the same feel as regular playoffs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'll just leave this here and put back on ignore. Kadri was celebrating his anniversary as per his instagram and Mitch was with PM's family. You're so completely full of it

View attachment 358273
You must be one of those computer nerd guys ... as i told you call my pro at Islington Phil Cavanaugh and he will tell you that Phil da Thrill, Freddy and Nax played a round together at my club ... Mitch was da 4th but he cancelled ... in fact I can even make it easier for you .. go to club and i think you will still see da picture on wall in mens locker room ... if you look close enough you will see me too ... you can't miss either Freddy or I because of our height

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Personally, I was against it but I am enjoying it. Not like a normal playoffs. I still would be pretty mad and upset if we win this year and no celebration happens/parade/party/bar reactions.

But I am still invested and cheering for my leafs cause I am a die hard leaf fan. Im honestly conflicted in general. I want to win but I dont want to win THIS year because we have waited so long for it that it deserves to he EPIC.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Personally, I was against it but I am enjoying it. Not like a normal playoffs. I still would be pretty mad and upset if we win this year and no celebration happens/parade/party/bar reactions.

But I am still invested and cheering for my leafs cause I am a die hard leaf fan. Im honestly conflicted in general. I want to win but I dont want to win THIS year because we have waited so long for it that it deserves to he EPIC.
If leafs win the cup it's very hard to believe people will follow social distancing.... It's just not going to happen.. we waited so long for a cup, there's going to be parties. It will be frustrating but it is what it is.. I'll be out lol.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While obviously I'd prefer fans, I think this has been well handled by the league. And have really enjoyed the games so far in most of the series and round Robin. The Leafs second game in particular was the most exciting and best played game of the entire season.

Can't ask for much more than that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->