Post-Game Talk: I hate hockey

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
What exactly have Keefe and Dubas done?

Sure Toronto is leading in a very weird pandemic driven season.

If the divisions were in normal alignment I would be very surprised if Toronto was leading their division.

They aren’t that good. We literally gave them no push back.

I disagree, they looked outstanding in this series. The Oilers started out playing as hard as they could in the first 5-7 minutes of each game but were then systematically dismantled and overpowered. The Leafs have arrived as an elite team in this league, they can roll 4 dangerous lines and the defense outplayed ours by far.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I think most of us knew this wasn’t going to be the season. Playoffs would be the goal. We have too many holes to be considered a cup contender yet.

People are getting impatient even though we’ve always known this off season was when we would have space to really work on plugging a lot of our holes.

To be honest, this season feels a little artificial. We’re only playing the Canadian teams so we don’t really know how we stack up to the rest of the league. Same goes for every other team.
That’s exactly it. Oilers making playoffs only twice in 15 years, it’s starting to weigh in on the fans and get tired some. Fans are starting to expect results and being swept last year by the 12th seed team just showed how many weaknesses we have.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
All that I can say is that as heated as Flames vs Oilers fans get, it pales in comparison to the Leafs posters that come onto the boards. I imagine it being worse for Sens fans. To be fair I think a lot of this has to do with having one of the larger fanbases in the sport which means they have more 'interesting' fans than most teams, sort of like the Dallas Stars fans in the NFL. Obviously there are also some reasonable Leafs fans that are vocal (like other fanbases).

I don't think I've ever seen a mod warning such as the one posted earlier in this thread, for example.
Well said. And yea, I think they just have such a large fan base that of course you will get some. I just ignore them. They have a good team this year, hopefully they don’t choke come playoffs time.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
All that I can say is that as heated as Flames vs Oilers fans get, it pales in comparison to the Leafs posters that come onto the boards. I imagine it being worse for Sens fans. To be fair I think a lot of this has to do with having one of the larger fanbases in the sport which means they have more 'interesting' fans than most teams, sort of like the Dallas Stars fans in the NFL. Obviously there are also some reasonable Leafs fans that are vocal (like other fanbases).

I don't think I've ever seen a mod warning such as the one posted earlier in this thread, for example.
I'm just glad the Leafs waited until after I left Toronto and for a pandemic (no possibility of fans in attendance) before they started to play well. And even that is almost unbearable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My Oma (grandma) used to call me a "pinsel" (pronounced pinzell) when I was being a goof. I finally asked her what it meant in English, and she told me "brush". I assumed it was a simple little term of endearment. Much later on, I was speaking to a gal from Germany and when I told her this, she laughed like crazy. She said, in Germany, "pinsel" is slang for "dickhead". Never did tell that to my Oma.

Must be a dialect, I never heard that word, and I never had a Grandma or Grandpa or ANY relatives. We were the cut and standard first generation immigrants that came over here alone. To this day I never met any relative. Been some letters and postcards and such.

Anyway this is OT, but nobody wants to talk about the game anymore, heh. beautiful outside, going back out there.

Reactions: Porkleaker

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Well, considering Boston, Florida and the reigning SC champs would also be in that division, not unreasonable.

That's why I wouldn't anoint the Leafs as cup champs based on a three game series against the Oilers. They looked really good for three games. The same team looked awful against the Sens the week before and were a couple of minutes from being shutout back to back by the lowly Flames. Fanbase and media were calling for heads. Now they are suddenly the perfect team. They are a team somewhere in between those sets of games. Best of a mediocre lot in our division.

Reactions: TB12

North

Jun 25, 2009
I disagree, they looked outstanding in this series. The Oilers started out playing as hard as they could in the first 5-7 minutes of each game but were then systematically dismantled and overpowered. The Leafs have arrived as an elite team in this league, they can roll 4 dangerous lines and the defense outplayed ours by far.

Nah we let up when our goalies gave up softies.

Toronto looked good because we didn’t want it at all.

Reactions: Declassified

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Must be a dialect, I never heard that word, and I never had a Grandma or Grandpa or ANY relatives. We were the cut and standard first generation immigrants that came over here alone. To this day I never met any relative. Been some letters and postcards and such.

Anyway this is OT, but nobody wants to talk about the game anymore, heh. beautiful outside, going back out there.

all I heard was Opa and Oma and Opa saying something like maak je rug recht, kleine rotzak

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I'm just glad the Leafs waited until after I left Toronto and for a pandemic (no possibility of fans in attendance) before they started to play well. And even that is almost unbearable.

I'm certainly glad that I only have to encounter the occasional Leafs fan out here. Cannot imagine dealing with them daily, also feel the same with our fans down in Cowtown.

North

Jun 25, 2009
That's why I wouldn't anoint the Leafs as cup champs based on a three game series against the Oilers. They looked really good for three games. The same team looked awful against the Sens the week before and were a couple of minutes from being shutout back to back by the lowly Flames. Fanbase and media were calling for heads. Now they are suddenly the perfect team. They are a team somewhere in between those sets of games. Best of a mediocre lot in our division.

This. Just a little over two weeks ago this Toronto team blew a 5-1 lead and lost 6-5 to the Sens. A little over a week ago they were blanked by the Flames and barely squeaked out a 2-1 victory the next game with the Flames.

We let the Leafs have their way with us.

I look at the Sens and their goalies regularly give up softies but they still compete until the end.

We on the other hand deflated and then just let the other team have the games.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Spezza and Nylander were like facing Jagr and Mario for some reason, probably cause Oilers.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
What exactly have Keefe and Dubas done?

Sure Toronto is leading in a very weird pandemic driven season.

If the divisions were in normal alignment I would be very surprised if Toronto was leading their division.

They aren’t that good. We literally gave them no push back.
Regardless of anyone's opinions on where the Leafs would sit in a normal season, they systematicially destroyed us for three games to the point where we just gave up last night. I think personnel wise we are closer than the past horrific three game set would show, but they f***ing ate us for breakfast defensively, and we had no answer.

Whether that is on our players unwillingness to adapt, Tippett for refusing change things up (outside of inserting a finished Neal and Turris lol) or Keefe for just having an immaculate game plan, I don't know. But it was f***ing embarrassing, and completely unacceptable to go down the way we did, and the Leafs deserved every win they got.

And to finish, Koskinen still sucks

North

Jun 25, 2009
Regardless of anyone's opinions on where the Leafs would sit in a normal season, they systematicially destroyed us for three games to the point where we just gave up last night. I think personnel wise we are closer than the past horrific three game set would show, but they f***ing ate us for breakfast defensively, and we had no answer.

Whether that is on our players unwillingness to adapt, Tippett for refusing change things up (outside of inserting a finished Neal and Turris lol) or Keefe for just having an immaculate game plan, I don't know. But it was f***ing embarrassing, and completely unacceptable to go down the way we did, and the Leafs deserved every win they got.

Of course they did because we decided not to compete.

Inserting Neal on the top line was ludicrous especially since we know he’s still dealing with his recovery from COVID.

The d pairings were not great either.

Tippett didn’t help the situation but these guys are professionals and the way they came out to play they would have been hard pressed to beat anybody.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
2017 was fun. But they had a legit starter, Talbot. A top line player that actually meshed with Mcdavid, Maroon, and legit depth scoring, Eberle, Lucic, RNH all had 40+ points away from the top line. They had a legit top pair in Klefbom and Larsson, as they both peaked that season.
That was great. Came so close to beating the Ducks in the second round.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Teams I would bet on to beat the leafs in a play off series.

Knights, Blues, Canes, Panthers, Caps, Lightening, Aves

Coin toss vs Leafs -Jets, Bruins, Flyers, Pens, Islanders

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Teams I would bet on to beat the leafs in a play off series.

Knights, Blues, Canes, Panthers, Caps, Lightening,

Coin toss vs Leafs - Stars, Jets, Bruins, Flyers, Pens

I like the Knights, Caps, Lightning, Bruins, Islanders, and Colorado beat the Leafs in a 7 game series.

Coin Toss - Jets, Flyers, Panthers, Canes, Blues, Columbus, Dallas.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
My Oma (grandma) used to call me a "pinsel" (pronounced pinzell) when I was being a goof. I finally asked her what it meant in English, and she told me "brush". I assumed it was a simple little term of endearment. Much later on, I was speaking to a gal from Germany and when I told her this, she laughed like crazy. She said, in Germany, "pinsel" is slang for "dickhead". Never did tell that to my Oma.

OT, but just to be clear - Pinsel (lit. paintbrush) is slang for "dick" but you can also just use it to call someone dumb.
So basically granny was calling you a tool. :laugh:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I suspect if you went over there to seek them out, the experience would wind up something like this....

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Oh sorry, but I get the frustration. I went outside and yelled at the sky for half an hour. Nothing happened so I went back inside. :laugh:
I may have found you yelling at the sky.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad