Post-Game Talk: I hate hockey

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To be honest it blows my mind that seasoned Oilers fans here are acting like making the post-season is a given, especially after being broken and humiliated in that series. Making the playoffs would be a huge accomplishment for this team and make me a happy fan, even if they burn out in the first round.

Calgary will be an important test. I like to think McD will release all his frustration on that team but we have to wait and see. That it is a Saturday night national telecast has me a bit worried.

Reactions: barry halls

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A lot of that frustration was probably built up from not getting any goals in the previous 2 games, on top of missing that chance. Now everyone is squeezing their sticks and doubting themselves when in a shooting lane (exhibit A, Yammo hesitating to shoot instead of one timing).

I bet you almost anything if the Oilers had a couple goals in either of the previous 2 games, they wouldn't have been so tense in trying to make plays.

They needed a lucky bounce to go in the net and just didn't get it. The bulging floodgates will now be Calgary's nightmare to think about.
Totally agree. But the Leafs just wouldn't let us get that goal, and we simply also didn't work hard enough to force the issue.

Reactions: yukoner88

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I wish we saw a bit more intensity and player who look like they care out there.

Still can't believe Caggiula was up for grabs for league minimum this summer and we signed completely useless players like Patrick Russel, Alan Quine and Nygard instead.

Caggiula had just as many invisible nights as everyone else in his time here. He'd barely move the needle if still here

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I have two stubborn genes in me. Who would have thought?

When they got stubborn with each other the roof would come off the house. This is when the yelling in German would start flying..
To this day I have an aversion to the German language. Associated with everytime my parents were fighting it was in German.

anyhoo
How many times did they call you "dummkopf" when you screwed up?;)

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I say we implement a maximum age for Edmonton media. Kick anyone over 40 to the curb.

Should do this for GM’s and coaches too. Dubas and Keefe are killing it while we are stuck with Holland and Tippett’s ‘gut feeling’ strategy

Reactions: KlefDown

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I have two stubborn genes in me. Who would have thought?

When they got stubborn with each other the roof would come off the house. This is when the yelling in German would start flying..
To this day I have an aversion to the German language. Associated with everytime my parents were fighting it was in German.

anyhoo

I avoided that scenario.

Luckily my mother married a laid back Metis fellow.

How could this happen? Well, she was a genius who still is one of the most decorated nursing students in Alberta history. He was a 10/10.

Smart, kind, stubborn women tend to get what they want. lol

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Okay, so you're not making the contact disappear, because there is a pretty hefty price to lose it. First round picks should be made to get good solid pieces, not move junk. We need one or both of these guys to go on long term disability.;)
At some point the Oilers will have to make some tough decisions to create space. I would hope they wouldn't have to give up a first rounder but still. Lucic for Neal-type swaps don't really help all that much, nor do buyouts (still paying for Pouliot btw).

I suspect Klefbom's playing days are done so that will open up some cap space but still.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Should do this for GM’s and coaches too. Dubas and Keefe are killing it while we are stuck with Holland and Tippett’s ‘gut feeling’ strategy

I will wait a while before I anoint Dubas and Keefe. Maybe win a single playoff series first. ;) Chayka was supposed to be the boy wonder. Didn't turn out so well.

Reactions: TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
To be honest it blows my mind that seasoned Oilers fans here are acting like making the post-season is a given, especially after being broken and humiliated in that series. Making the playoffs would be a huge accomplishment for this team and make me a happy fan, even if they burn out in the first round.
Man if this team misses the playoffs this place is going to be absolutely radioactive. And rightly so.

Reactions: barry halls

North

Jun 25, 2009

What exactly have Keefe and Dubas done?

Sure Toronto is leading in a very weird pandemic driven season.

If the divisions were in normal alignment I would be very surprised if Toronto was leading their division.

They aren’t that good. We literally gave them no push back.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I said it before the season started. The playoffs were no guarantee. We were right around 0.500 against Canadian teams. I thought it would be 50/50 with our D and goaltending going in. We are still ok as long as we don't go for a nose dive. CGy/OTT/OTT/OTT

Can we win 3 of those or win 2 lose 1 and lose 1 in OT?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
To be fair, Leafs fans have to get their trash talk in now, won’t last long till they are booted out of the playoffs yet again.

They do this over on the Sens board constantly. Even though the Sens have been much more successful in the playoffs this last decade than the Leafs have been. Oilers as well..... At least Edmonton has made it past the first round.

Last year after the Leafs lost in the first round yet again, the entire board was crying the blues to blow the team up and they’re an embarrassment and they suck. Now because they have a decent record in an average division, they think they’re Gods lol. Comical.

Leafs won their SC this week. Peaked way too early. ;) In all seriousness, the Oilers played as poorly as they possibly could have, and the Leafs played as well as they possibly can. Last week Oiler fans were raving about our bottom six depth and how well our D was playing. Now everything is garbage again. ;) Fans of all teams get way to high and way too low after winning and losing streaks.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
That’s funny. The names are actually in the write up adjacent to the picture. He’s listed as Mikle Smith but I couldn’t figure it out. I was thinking its not Oiler goalie Mike Smith, but now I can see the resemblance,the pouty bottom lip is there. Never took Bubbles to be a rope skipper though.

He played hockey a lot as well. He grew up near my town

Reactions: brentashton

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
They beat us 13-1 in a 3 game set. If this had been the opposite we would be lording it over them. I mean its the way it goes and Leafs fans, one would expect, would be vocal right now. I have no problem with that, except if its taking place on this board.

Leafs are a good club, better than most people are giving them credit for. if the leafs didn't take games off here and there, as all clubs do, they would win almost every night.
I honestly don’t trash talk much so I don’t get it personally. I understand it’s all part of the sport, and nothing wrong with friendly banter. I have some flames people I know and we do it back and forth. Leafs fans are one of a kind though. They have come to the Senators board multiple times with more than insults.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with good fun. Hell I go to the Kings board quite a bit and have fun trash talk. They know me well over there. But there is a difference between “we got you guys good, we are a better team too bad” and “you guys are a dumpster team and need to fold” And these aren’t just hypothetical one offs. It happens quite often on the Sens board. Maybe the leafs fans that have come to the board here aren’t that bad, but much of them on that board can be down right ignorant.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
What exactly have Keefe and Dubas done?

Sure Toronto is leading in a very weird pandemic driven season.

If the divisions were in normal alignment I would be very surprised if Toronto was leading their division.

They aren’t that good. We literally gave them no push back.

Agreed. Leafs would likely be in 4th place in their usual division.

Reactions: TB12 and North

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Leafs won their SC this week. Peaked way too early. ;) In all seriousness, the Oilers played as poorly as they possibly could have, and the Leafs played as well as they possibly can. Last week Oiler fans were raving about our bottom six depth and how well our D was playing. Now everything is garbage again. ;) Fans of all teams get way to high and way too low after winning and losing streaks.
Oilers are who I think they are. A decent team that shows flashes of greatness, and then shows flashes of down right terrible. A team that in my opinion is good enough to make playoffs, and maybe even win a series but not go to the Cup. They still need a reliable goaltender, two more really good defence man and much needed help with the bottom 6. The top two lines are good enough to take Edmonton on a nice run in regular season , but they have too many weaknesses to over come and the Leafs exposed them bad.

But as they say, anything can happen come playoffs.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Oilers are who I think they are. A decent team that shows flashes of greatness, and then shows flashes of down right terrible. A team that in my opinion is good enough to make playoffs, and maybe even win a series but not go to the Cup. They still need a reliable goaltender, two more really good defence man and much needed help with the bottom 6. The top two lines are good enough to take Edmonton on a nice run in regular season , but they have too many weaknesses to over come and the Leafs exposed them bad.

But as they say, anything can happen come playoffs.

I think most of us knew this wasn’t going to be the season. Playoffs would be the goal. We have too many holes to be considered a cup contender yet.

People are getting impatient even though we’ve always known this off season was when we would have space to really work on plugging a lot of our holes.

To be honest, this season feels a little artificial. We’re only playing the Canadian teams so we don’t really know how we stack up to the rest of the league. Same goes for every other team.

Reactions: tardigrade81

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Calgary will be an important test. I like to think McD will release all his frustration on that team but we have to wait and see. That it is a Saturday night national telecast has me a bit worried.

Nothing but Calgary, Ottawa, and Vancouver the next 7.

4 wins is non negotiable if we're going to maintain any facade of being a halfway decent hockey team.

The other important thing to remember is the first two games against Toronto were much closer than they looked on the scoreboard, we just couldn't finish anything. Last night was a stinker, but every team has stinkers.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
My brother got it a lot more than I did. heh. Daily doses in his case. He's older so I learned all the what not do do kinds of things. He also was kind of a master of screwing up. A savant in that way.
My Oma (grandma) used to call me a "pinsel" (pronounced pinzell) when I was being a goof. I finally asked her what it meant in English, and she told me "brush". I assumed it was a simple little term of endearment. Much later on, I was speaking to a gal from Germany and when I told her this, she laughed like crazy. She said, in Germany, "pinsel" is slang for "dickhead". Never did tell that to my Oma.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

These are two teams brushing off epic level tire fires. I always sweat the Flamers though who historically keep the bullseye squarely on beating the Oilers. Expecting a greasy, cheap-ish game by the Flamers who are better able to play that way and a reset Markstrom looking to redeem himself. Honestly, I'm not really sure about the soft Oilers team going into this cage fight... as much as the NHL has become a p***yfied no contact league.

Some of my pre-conditioning of being an Oil fan in Cowtown is creeping back in...

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I honestly don’t trash talk much so I don’t get it personally. I understand it’s all part of the sport, and nothing wrong with friendly banter. I have some flames people I know and we do it back and forth. Leafs fans are one of a kind though. They have come to the Senators board multiple times with more than insults.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with good fun. Hell I go to the Kings board quite a bit and have fun trash talk. They know me well over there. But there is a difference between “we got you guys good, we are a better team too bad” and “you guys are a dumpster team and need to fold” And these aren’t just hypothetical one offs. It happens quite often on the Sens board. Maybe the leafs fans that have come to the board here aren’t that bad, but much of them on that board can be down right ignorant.

All that I can say is that as heated as Flames vs Oilers fans get, it pales in comparison to the Leafs posters that come onto the boards. I imagine it being worse for Sens fans. To be fair I think a lot of this has to do with having one of the larger fanbases in the sport which means they have more 'interesting' fans than most teams, sort of like the Dallas Stars fans in the NFL. Obviously there are also some reasonable Leafs fans that are vocal (like other fanbases).

I don't think I've ever seen a mod warning such as the one posted earlier in this thread, for example.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad