Post-Game Talk: I don't have a creative title

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
In terms of specific analytics the Rangers are getting down there with some of these teams but that's beside the point.

It's always "why are you always so negative" and think our shared experience as fans your perception of me is limited to the Rangers.

Outside of maybe the baseball thread and the Yankees are also a f***ing garbage organization since George died.

It's the Rangers.

If they played a style of hockey that won in the playoffs, or at the very least tried and failed and acknowledged it, instead of thinking their shit doesn't stink, I wouldn't complain about it.

They did finally acknowledge the flaws when they sent the letter and then built a team that plays the same way.
The thing that bothers me is these guys acting like we enjoy bitching. The reason it makes me mad that the rangers suck 5v5 is because it ultimately means that their chances of winning a cup is much lower. Not to mention it’s not all that enjoyable watching this team struggle to create offense, but truly it’s because they dont possess the qualities that a true cup contender has. They could make a run and if they do I will be thrilled. But it’s not that likely I think.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
you said how can the rangers be so lucky to win all of the games they have the past 220 games. That includes the last two seasons. Plus while Igor struggled up until recently Quick has been lights out. Please don’t try to deny a major reason they have won so many games is because of their goalies.

Oh no! The roster players on this team are playing well! The horror. Igor, the starter most of the last two seasons sucked. Halak sucked. Quick was good but was still a backup. You're pretending like we have had Vezina goalie play the last three years and it's been average to below average from Igor. And just above average from Quick.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The rangers have played about 3 good games during this stretch. Tampa, Dallas, and maybe NJ if you’re generous and say they packed it in after grabbing a big lead. Other than that in which of the games have they legitimately looked like the better team?
Colorado, Tampa, Ottawa, Montreal. And yes against Montreal they had some poor defensive lapses but potted 7. Some of you guys accentuate the bad play only. Also having good goaltending gives you an advantage.

Possibly, then don’t waste trade capital and yeah, address it in offseason.
They can still address other needs.

13 games is a tiny sample.
No it is not. It's 22 percent of the season so far.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Henrik Lundqvist had two teams around the 110 point mark in his career (maybe also 16-17?). Last two years we had 107 points and 110 points and are pacing the same this year. Only two seasons ago did the Rangers get Henrik Lundqvist level goaltending and people are running around like their head is on fire because apparently it's all our goaltending.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The thing that bothers me is these guys acting like we enjoy bitching. The reason it makes me mad that the rangers suck 5v5 is because it ultimately means that their chances of winning a cup is much lower. Not to mention it’s not all that enjoyable watching this team struggle to create offense, but truly it’s because they dont possess the qualities that a true cup contender has. They could make a run and if they do I will be thrilled. But it’s not that likely I think.
The people that just enjoy bitching are the people that say "oh we only beat [insert bad team] by one goal" when it was clearly a good game.

The people who complain about the team being poor 5v5 want to win more than anybody else. That's why they're complaining about a team that does win but not in a way that works.

It's also a huge factor that hockey changes in the playoffs way more than other sports. The luck factor and the amount of stupid goals that just bounce in for no reason skyrockets. You have to have the puck to win in the playoffs.

Tonight was actually a good example. Every Leafs goal in this game was stupid. They didn't win because they're just skilled and hot (not untrue tbf) as it's being framed. They won because they had it more than we did and put it on net more than we did.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Henrik Lundqvist had two teams around the 110 point mark in his career (maybe also 16-17?). Last two years we had 107 points and 110 points and are pacing the same this year. Only two seasons ago did the Rangers get Henrik Lundqvist level goaltending and people are running around like their head is on fire because apparently it's all our goaltending.
The rangers are 2nd in sv% since 21-22. 3rd since last year. That isn’t even accounting for shot quality. One year of Henrik Lundqvist level goaltending?

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Oh no! The roster players on this team are playing well! The horror. Igor, the starter most of the last two seasons sucked. Halak sucked. Quick was good but was still a backup. You're pretending like we have had Vezina goalie play the last three years and it's been average to below average from Igor. And just above average from Quick.
Ranger are 2nd in SV% over the last three seasons

Reactions: UnSandvich

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Without respect, my question is why is Zibanejad still a f***ing thing?

I know, I know. NMC.

I wouldn't have given it to him. I would have fired him into the sun and got Jack Eichel.

"Well maybe we don't get Jack Eichel."

I would have put Chytil at 1C and eaten my loss.

He sucks. The analytics warned us for eons that he sucks. I'm sorry, but eventually they're always right.
I was watching some clickbait trade deadline crap on YouTube this morning and the guy was talking about Pacioretty. One of the things he said about him was "... the only Capitol with a NMC besides Ovechkin..."

I was shocked.

WHY DO WE GIVE OUT SO MANY f***ING NMC's???????

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers are on pace to get 113 points this year, last year they had 107, the year before 110. These would rank #1 (tied), # 3, and #2 in the Henrik Lundqvist era. The only year of these three that we got even close to Henrik Lundqvist level goaltending was 2021-22. Yet somehow it's all goaltending. Make it make sense.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The people that just enjoy bitching are the people that say "oh we only beat [insert bad team] by one goal" when it was clearly a good game.

The people who complain about the team being poor 5v5 want to win more than anybody else. That's why they're complaining about a team that does win but not in a way that works.

It's also a huge factor that hockey changes in the playoffs way more than other sports. The luck factor and the amount of stupid goals that just bounce in for no reason skyrockets. You have to have the puck to win in the playoffs.

Tonight was actually a good example. Every Leafs goal in this game was stupid. They didn't win because they're just skilled and hot (not untrue tbf) as it's being framed. They won because they had it more than we did and put it on net more than we did.
No. They won because they scored 1 more goal in the skills competition SO.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Maybe we could try Lafreniere with Kreider and Zibanejad. Earlier in the year, I was worried that we would mess with the steps he was taking, by moving him away from Panarin and Trocheck. I don't think that's the case anymore; he's our second best forward, and he's ready to be The Guy on a line.
Lafreniere to Zibanejad, Kakko to Trocheck.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was watching some clickbait trade deadline crap on YouTube this morning and the guy was talking about Pacioretty. One of the things he said about him was "... the only Capitol with a NMC besides Ovechkin..."

I was shocked.

WHY DO WE GIVE OUT SO MANY f***ING NMC's???????
You have to compete in the free agent market. Washington doesn't have a lot because their roster is ass.

It's not giving clauses, it's who we're giving them to.

Nobody ever talks about Vince Trocheck having a NMC. That's because he's a good player.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
The Rangers are on pace to get 113 points this year, last year they had 107, the year before 110. These would rank #1 (tied), # 3, and #2 in the Henrik Lundqvist era. The only year of these three that we got even close to Henrik Lundqvist level goaltending was 2021-22. Yet somehow it's all goaltending. Make it make sense.
I feel like I'm missing the point you're making here. Henrik had even worse teams most of the time with world-historic terrible PPs.

Also you need to stop this delusion that Igor has been bad for two seasons. Or you need to accept that even if Igor is had been bad compared to what you think good goaltending is, he's still been extremely good relative to the league.

The irony here is that our best team in the hank years, hank was hurt for much of the year and we didn't even get 100 points.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Every Leafs goal in this game was stupid
Yes! The leafs goals were why the Rangers played a poor game; it was their damned fault all those goals happened in the first place because of garbage clearing attempts. No one can say a game was played well when you literally poo the bed.

If the Rangers cleared the puck well they wouldn't have had all those chances against and they probably win outright in regulation.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
You have to compete in the free agent market. Washington doesn't have a lot because their roster is ass.

It's not giving clauses, it's who we're giving them to.

Nobody ever talks about Vince Trocheck having a NMC. That's because he's a good player.
I get your point but I can't help but think if the Caps were the Rangers, Mantha, Oshie, Carlson, Wilson and (possibly) Milano would all have full NMC's

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ok, if that's the case is goaltending not a position in the game of hockey? The Chiefs are only good because of Mahomes.
Quarterbacking is reliable.

The NHL playoff meta, goaltending isn't.

We've seen this play out time and time against and you're just being contrarian.

You're unfancy EdJovanovski, just saying silly shit just to say it but without being 12 years old.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like I'm missing the point you're making here. Henrik had even worse teams most of the time with world-historic terrible PPs.

Also you need to stop this delusion that Igor has been bad for two seasons. Or you need to accept that even if Igor is had been bad compared to what you think good goaltending is, he's still been extremely good relative to the league.

Igor has been average at best the last two years until like February. Right before this stretch his save % dropped below 0.900. His save % is below 0.910 now. Even in today's league it's not good.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
At the risk of repeating others, the hockey changes completely in the postseason. I don't doubt that we can't tighten up with the passing and structure. But the weaving and the high flying theatrics will be gone. Playoff defense just doesn't allow that type of play. And if this team can't play that game, it's in trouble because it doesn't generate offense any other way. The concern that we can't generate offense is not new but remains legit. Regular season means little.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Quarterbacking is reliable.

The NHL playoff meta, goaltending isn't.

We've seen this play out time and time against and you're just being contrarian.

You're unfancy EdJovanovski, just saying silly shit just to say it but without being 12 years old.

Dude, silly shit is acting like the Rangers are the 92 or 93 Ottawa Senators every time they play a game where they get outplayed 5 on 5. I was pissed last game because they got caved against a terrible Blue Jackets team in the third period (the first two were pretty good). They lost to one of the most talented offenses in the league and looked clueless defensively at times. But that happens against that team. They lost in a skill competition. And if Igor was the reason we got a point what about Samsonov? He was making difficult saves all night. Panarin should have scored in OT to win the game and he robbed him. Just one example.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get your point but I can't help but think if the Caps were the Rangers, Mantha, Oshie, Carlson, Wilson and (possibly) Milano would all have full NMC's
I doubt it.

That's really not the problem.

The Rangers have NMC's because they're a contending team.

The 7 such clauses on our roster is not the most in the league and it's not out of the ordinary for teams serious about winning games this season.

The problem is that we gave two to players who aren't good, one of whom is absolutely terrible at this point.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
At the risk of repeating others, the hockey changes completely in the postseason. I don't doubt that we can't tighten up with the passing. But the weaving and the high flying theatrics will be gone. Playoff defense just doesn't allow that type of play. And if this team can't play that game, it's in trouble because it doesn't generate offense any other way. The concern that we can't generate offense is not new but remains legit. Regular season means little.
And that will change when they get another legit RW and NHL level 3C. These additions will make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad