Friedman: "I do think they would move Andrew Shaw"

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He's not getting 2 2nds, one of which being Debrincat.

Probably not but he would fetch a decent return. Most GM's value those hard hitting guys and the fact that he's won a cup raises his value (it's stupid but it really matters to GM's).

I don't think he's worth much but I think that GM's think that he's worth it.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
would mtl be interested in mathieu perrault? winnipeg could use a bottom-6 upgrade and kyle connor seems ready to be a top-6 guy.

idk if this is fair value or not;

shaw + fucale for perrault + 2nd?

or just

shaw + 2nd for perrault

1. Perrault is worth more than that on his own
2. Fucule isn't worth two 2nds. He isn't worth one 2nd. In fact, he probably isn't worth anything.

Reactions: Evil Little

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
wow. i thought fucale had some value.
Yeah, in his draft+1 he looked fine. Not a step forward, but a good outing.

He's fallen on hard times since then. His draft +2 was a major step back and his draft +3 didn't get him on track.

He's basically a dime-a-dozen prospect, maybe less. If he suddenly turn things around it will come from nowhere.

Edit: On the plus side, no major injuries that I've heard about and he's been getting playing time. Goalies are weird and can take awhile.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Shaw for DeBrincat (CHI) + Girard (NSH)? :sarcasm:

f*** Bergevin.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Andrew Shaw has a terrible contract but people here seriously overrate GM's. The Habs can easily fleece a team like the Oilers. Chiarelli is trying to create the Boston Bruins team that won the Cup despite having the best young player in the game.

If Bergevin is serious, he could get quite a lot for Shaw. GM's are dumb.
And Bergevin is what?

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Retain salary and you'll be surprised by the takers.. that Stanley cup pedigree is greatly over rated by gms

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Heh, I remember when everyone laughed and mocked the Habs for this signing, yet masses of Canadiens fans defended it because Shaw was supposed to make them "tougher." All he did was make them dumber.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Habs should add Pacioretty + Price + 1st 2018 + 1st 2019 + 1st 2020 and NYR should add Lundqvist + Staal + 6th 2018 to make it fair.
Lol.

Rangers don't do the original offer. You acting like the Rangers are making out so well in that trade is hilarious. I know Habs fans love to talk about how Galchenyuk is so "misused", but fact of the matter is that two different coaches see fit to play him fourth line minutes while Hayes is getting tough minutes and still produces at a ~45 point clip. Oh, and he's an actual center who doesn't get shifted to the wing at a moments notice.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What part about Montreal acquiring Shaw has gone right? They gave up picks 39 and 45 in 2016 to get him in the first place, which is an overpayment by itself (They didn't give up DeBrincat and Krys, mind you. It is just more salt in the wound that those picks became what they did.), and then they decided that it would be a good idea to lock the guy up to a contract that is only a year shorter and .35 million less in terms of AAV than what Viktor Arvidsson, the 30/30 guy got this summer. A horrible use of assets and cap space, I think.

They probably couldn't get much for him in a trade either.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
What part about Montreal acquiring Shaw has gone right? They gave up picks 39 and 45 in 2016 to get him in the first place, which is an overpayment by itself (They didn't give up DeBrincat and Krys, mind you. It is just more salt in the wound that those picks became what they did.), and then they decided that it would be a good idea to lock the guy up to a contract that is only a year shorter and .35 million less in terms of AAV than what Viktor Arvidsson, the 30/30 guy got this summer. A horrible use of assets and cap space, I think.

They probably couldn't get much for him in a trade either.

It's difficult to compare salaries given the different tax climates. If Arvidsson is a Montreal Canadien, and has a 30/30 season, he's easily getting the contract Drouin got.

The trading of Eller and acquisition of Shaw was about swapping the two players. Eller was drawing $3.5 million USD on his deal. He's an advanced stats darling, but contributes less offensively. I thought Shaw had a decent first season with 12 goals and 29 points in 68 games. Shaw is off to a slow start offensively, like the rest of the club, but he's one of the few guys winning face offs and creating offensive zone starts with the puck.

Both players returned two seconds. The two seconds for Shaw came in the same year. The two for Eller are spread over 2017 and 2018. Joni Ikonen was drafted using the pick acquired from the Capitals. We won't be able to compare until we see what Montreal picks in the deep 2018 draft. There's no doubt the fact that DeBrincat fell to the second round stings, but Ikonen is a very promising prospect.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It's difficult to compare salaries given the different tax climates. If Arvidsson is a Montreal Canadien, and has a 30/30 season, he's easily getting the contract Drouin got.

The trading of Eller and acquisition of Shaw was about swapping the two players. Eller was drawing $3.5 million USD on his deal. He's an advanced stats darling, but contributes less offensively. I thought Shaw had a decent first season with 12 goals and 29 points in 68 games. Shaw is off to a slow start offensively, like the rest of the club, but he's one of the few guys winning face offs and creating offensive zone starts with the puck.

Both players returned two seconds. The two seconds for Shaw came in the same year. The two for Eller are spread over 2017 and 2018. Joni Ikonen was drafted using the pick acquired from the Capitals. We won't be able to compare until we see what Montreal picks in the deep 2018 draft. There's no doubt the fact that DeBrincat fell to the second round stings, but Ikonen is a very promising prospect.

It all depends on how the situation is managed, and since there is no way of knowing what Arvidsson would have done as a Canadien, it is highly irrelevant to bring that up.

Trading Eller shouldn't be factored in anything regarding Shaw, though. It is possible that the two trades were in fact dependent on each other, but even with Eller bringing back the same amount of draft picks from the same round, they mismanaged the acquisition of Shaw badly. He hasn't looked anything like a player you would comfortably spend two mid-to-high second round picks for, and he certainly isn't worth 3.9 million a year for the next eternity.

If, for example, Montreal gave Chicago two 3rd round picks for Shaw and signed him to a four-year, 12-million contract, then criticizing the management would be much less warranted, as the price of acquisition and the contract would have been more in line with the talent Shaw possesses, but as it stands, the same cannot be said.

As for Eller, I like the trade (mostly due to the subsequent death of Habs fans' proposals including Eller, Tinordi and a 2nd), and selecting Ikonen at 56 was a good choice, even with his massive struggles this season.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
It all depends on how the situation is managed, and since there is no way of knowing what Arvidsson would have done as a Canadien, it is highly irrelevant to bring that up.

Trading Eller shouldn't be factored in anything regarding Shaw, though. It is possible that the two trades were in fact dependent on each other, but even with Eller bringing back the same amount of draft picks from the same round, they mismanaged the acquisition of Shaw badly. He hasn't looked anything like a player you would comfortably spend two mid-to-high second round picks for, and he certainly isn't worth 3.9 million a year for the next eternity.

If, for example, Montreal gave Chicago two 3rd round picks for Shaw and signed him to a four-year, 12-million contract, then criticizing the management would be much less warranted, as the price of acquisition and the contract would have been more in line with the talent Shaw possesses, but as it stands, the same cannot be said.

As for Eller, I like the trade (mostly due to the subsequent death of Habs fans' proposals including Eller, Tinordi and a 2nd), and selecting Ikonen at 56 was a good choice, even with his massive struggles this season.

It's entirely relevant because you're comparing Shaw's salary to Arvidsson. Don't bring him up if you don't want to know what his contract likely looks like in a Habs uniform.

The Shaw and Eller deals are entirely linked. They happened at the draft floor on June 24th, 2016.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It's entirely relevant because you're comparing Shaw's salary to Arvidsson. Don't bring him up if you don't want to know what his contract likely looks like in a Habs uniform.

The Shaw and Eller deals are entirely linked. They happened at the draft floor on June 24th, 2016.
The point of the comparision was to point out how overpaid Shaw was from the very beginning of his time in Montreal, not to suggest that Arvidsson is in any way linked to the Habs or even should be. If a sixty-point, thirty-goal player who also shines in two-way game gets 4.25 on a long-term deal, it is a ridiculously good deal and exposes the fact that Shaw got way too much from Montreal. Now, I acknowledge that taxes play a part in every negotiation, but while Tennessee's lower tax rate could potentially explain Arvidsson's low salary, the difference between the two states is simply not enough to explain why Shaw is making so much. The real difference was made by Poile and Bergevin.

And since you can't seem to grasp my point, I'll say it once more: even if the deals were linked, Montreal still overpaid for Shaw. It wasn't a requirement to give up two high picks and to overpay for a 30-35 point winger. It is one thing to get a good price for your 3C, and a good one without a doubt, but what they gave up to acquire Shaw was too much and in a way undoes the good they did with the Eller deal.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Shaw for Eriksson.

It’s clear that Loui needs a change of scenery, maybe back to the same division. He’s not his normal self here on the best coast.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00