I could handle a bad season

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
With the shortened season, O'Reilly's hold out, Downie's injury and the quality of the top 6 players in this years draft, I wouldn't be devastated if the Av's had a bad season. I don't know what it is, I just don't see a contender out of this team. I think we would be a lot further along if we added one of MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, Monahan, Zadarov. And trading some of our older pieces for more picks/prospects. We could set ourselves up for a long term plan, this is the year to do it IMO.

That feels good to get off my chest. Either way, I just want to win the cup!!

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If the team does that poorly, the GM and coach should both be fired.

No. Failure is not acceptable. This team has tanked it badly twice now, and traded away a high first rounder just last season. I want to see actual progress from this club. If it's not taking place, people need to lose their jobs. Simple as that. A holdout of a key player and injury to another is not an excuse.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
As long as the games are entertaining, I'll live with whatever the outcome may be. But within two years we better damn well win a playoff series or I'll sacrifice Svatos to the hockey gods.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Im actually somewhat in the same boat.

If it was a full 82 game season then no, I would not be able to handle sucking all year. But for only 48 games, I could probably handle sucking if it meant getting Seth Jones.

However, I think this entire draft has a lot of really good prospects. I think the entire first round of this draft will be good prospects, so I don't really care where we finish in the end.

I think we'll end up in the 10-20 range again, and I think they're will still be some great prospects on the board in that range.

Any of Ristolainen, Pulock, Zadarov, Morrisey, or Nurse would be great additions. And obviously they're are some good forwards such as Domi, Nichushkin, and Lazar. Although personally I would take a Dman in this draft, but any one of those guys would be solid pick ups IMO.

Reactions: MaKarter

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Please no. That would mean the young players' potential wasn't reached.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
With the shortened season, O'Reilly's hold out, Downie's injury and the quality of the top 6 players in this years draft, I wouldn't be devastated if the Av's had a bad season. I don't know what it is, I just don't see a contender out of this team. I think we would be a lot further along if we added one of MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, Monahan, Zadarov. And trading some of our older pieces for more picks/prospects. We could set ourselves up for a long term plan, this is the year to do it IMO.

That feels good to get off my chest. Either way, I just want to win the cup!!

Well we really werent a contender even with ROR and Downs
A playoff spot is still a maybe regardless with this squad.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I am all for this if the alternative is a panic trade to somehow sneak into the playoffs.

This draft is massive! And there are only 46 games to go.

This team clearly lacks another blue chipper or 2.

I just don't see the top line superstar talent up front or at the backend.

Duchene Landeskog and EJ are very much unproven (at least I am not sure that they will develop into bonafide franchise guys) right now.

It would probably mean that Sacco is gone (at least I hope it).

I am actually fine with this scenario if Duchene, Landeskog, EJ and our young dman don't suffer from another bad season.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Avs can't tank, too much talent. at worst we become a perpetual 9th, 10th, or 11th seed like the Flames or something.

First off, gross
Second we can most def. tank, we already are without two of our top 6 from last year
another injury to a vital position will at the very least get us out of the post
But hopefully no one else gets hurt and whoever replaces Downie will produce.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I see the Avs missing the playoffs this year without Downie and RoR. I'd be fine with it as long as Sacco is fired.

I'm sorry, but people can talk about talent all they want, I'm pretty sure players like Statsny, Duchene, Jones, etc. have more talent then Penguins 4th line of Vitale, Adams, and Glass.

Honestly that Penguins 4th line looked more creative with the puck than any of our lines. It's a joke.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Define "handling a bad season". If you mean that you would be totally okay with the Avs having a bad season than I am totally against that. If you are saying that you'd still be a fan even if the Avs have a bad season than I can understand that.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
I think playoffs will help are players more than another prospect in the long run (unless its a Jones or Mac). So playoffs please or if we do suck, can we please suck hard?

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Well doesn't Sacco now have an excuse? 2 top 6 players missing from the lineup for the whole season.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Didn't they change the draft lottery to include all non-playoff teams like the NBA where 9-15 has a shot at the 1 seed? Or did I just read that as a "maybe" before they signed...

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
What's the point of drafting high? If it's with someone else's pick I'm fine with it. I'd rather be in playoffs personally. Loved watching the Avs play the Sharks a couple years back. Playoffs without shipping out the young talent for overpaid over-the-hill players about to go UFA is a no-no. However I'm sure Sherman can make a trade or two to make us more competitive without killing the core.

MacKinnon and Jones are great prospects. However I don't feel like missing playoffs again in order to get them. Winning games is more fun then losing. I don't know if I'd be able to just watch our team lose our way to the bottom of the league. So depressing.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'd like to have a great first half and then a collapse to land Mackinnon. This team simply isn't going to make the playoffs and a crash lasting 24 games wouldn't be bad at all.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Hell no, I'm tired of seeing this team lose. If Duchene, Landeskog, EJ, Varly, Stastny are going to be a part of a successful core long term they can't carry our team to another bottom finish. We may not make the playoffs with ROR/Downie but we better not tank.

You don't need to tank to get a good player anyways, every year good players are picked outside (and well outside) the top 5. I'd rather we just draft well like Ottawa and St Louis (or ourselves in 09)

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad