I could handle a bad season

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
I'd like to have a great first half and then a collapse to land Mackinnon. This team simply isn't going to make the playoffs and a crash lasting 24 games wouldn't be bad at all.

What Seth Jones has no good youtube videos? :sarcasm:

There's my overused and unfunny joke of the week

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I can't handle missing the playoffs 3 years in a row.

Well, IMO the Avs were a playoff bubble team anyway, and that with O'R and Downie in the lineup. What they're icing right now will certainly not cut it, I don't think.

I'm OK with them missing the playoffs, as long as they're doing the right things: signing the correct players, developing the young players in the AHL/juniors, and the young NHL players improving towards their potential. Unfortunately, there is a lot of room for improvement here.

The best part about the Avs missing the playoffs again, would be the potential firing of Sacco and Sherman. ;)

Reactions: Lemonlimey

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Avs can't tank, too much talent. at worst we become a perpetual 9th, 10th, or 11th seed like the Flames or something.

At worst?

What would propel the team into the perpetual 4/5/6th place territory?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I wast really confident about this lineup when downie and oreilly were in it. This roster isn't a playoff roster and I'd rather finish last than ninth this year.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Personally, I've had enough bad seasons lately.

I get the idea that it's a good draft, and we need one or two top notch guys to complete this roster.

But I want to see the guys we have progress, not just stay the same or regress.

I want to cheer for playoff wins, not a good lottery pick.

The tank stank, and I don't want to drive it again.

Now, if we miss the playoffs, I'll be hoping like crazy that we get lucky enough to win the lottery and score at the draft!

But I'd rather see a good season and the playoffs than a bad season with better draft position.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There are always good players that go late 1st round or later every year (Giroux, Eberle, Benn, Lucic, ROR, etc.). I'd rather have a good season and see this team get into the playoffs. Then hopefully Varly can stand on his head.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I couldn't. We'll end up tanking for that blue chip prospect and waiting 2-3 years from him to really have an impact. Look at Adam.L for NJ. Was suppose to come in and be a player from the get go, hasn't happened like that. I think the Avs have got really lucky with Landy, Duchene, O'Reilly where they came in and were able to play a pretty big role quickly. Guess it would be nice to get that high talent player, because I do agree that's what we lack.

Give me playoffs over anything and I honestly don't think we can finish in the bottom 3. More likely to finish 9th-11th this year in the West. Rather just compete in the playoffs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We're not getting Burke. No way, no how. They'll have to shoot Lacroix and drag him from the premises before they even tender Burke an offer.

And I don't want Burke anyway. He bungled things so badly in Toronto the only reason he wasn't considered by many the worst GM in the league was because Scott Howson and Steve Tambellini continue to be employed.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Yup, we have a pretty unworthy, poor quality roster as it stands today. I hear the big guns in Kobasew and Hunwick are making their long awaited debut's for the year today.

In my opinion, I'd love to see us land someone like Mckinnon. God knows we need some high end talent on this very mediocre team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yup, we have a pretty unworthy, poor quality roster as it stands today. I hear the big guns in Kobasew and Hunwick are making their long awaited debut's for the year today.

In my opinion, I'd love to see us land someone like Mckinnon. God knows we need some high end talent on this very mediocre team.

So Landeskog, Duchene, EJ, and Varly don't count as high end talent? All of those players have the talent to become top 10 players at their positions. Now they may not make it (just like Mckinnon, Drouin, Jones, etc may not).

Even the Penguins are lacking talent at positions... I mean they sometimes play Tangradi on a line with Crosby.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So Landeskog, Duchene, EJ, and Varly don't count as high end talent? All of those players have the talent to become top 10 players at their positions. Now they may not make it (just like Mckinnon, Drouin, Jones, etc may not).

Even the Penguins are lacking talent at positions... I mean they sometimes play Tangradi on a line with Crosby.

Yeah but we don't have one surefire Top Line player or #1 dman.

All we have is potential. And I have to say that (probably because of Sacco) I am not that impressed. I am not sure that Duchene will turn into a Giroux or Toews. I am not convinced that EJ will turn into a Pronger. I am not really convinced that Landy can be our Iginla.

Bottom line is that more high end talent is needed on this team.
I don't want to top out as perenial playoff team in Duchenes and Landeskogs prime which gets routinely effed by the likes of EDM, LA, MIN or Chicago.

I want a team with the potential to contend for a cup.
Right now I don't think that we are talented enough to do just that.

So I am on board with sucking for another year if we can not overcome our injuries. I just don't want to end up 9th or 10 th in the West again.
Rather tank for 40 games and get rid of Sacco and Lacroix (pipedream).

And hell hell hell no to Brian Burke!

chocoloco

Jan 19, 2013
Colorado
That is ludicrous. Kronke sports will never start spending to make the Avs better unless they make ton of profit like they did when they were bad ass. Playoff games make tons of money. It would be better to have even one playoff round for more profit rather than another season watching Kings like the Kings win it while still being on par with the Avalanche.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah but we don't have one surefire Top Line player or #1 dman.

All we have is potential. And I have to say that (probably because of Sacco) I am not that impressed. I am not sure that Duchene will turn into a Giroux or Toews. I am not convinced that EJ will turn into a Pronger. I am not really convinced that Landy can be our Iginla.

Bottom line is that more high end talent is needed on this team.
I don't want to top out as perenial playoff team which gets routinely effed by the likes of EDM, LA, MIN or Chicago.

I want a team with the potential to contend for a cup.
Right now I don't think that we are talented enough to do just that.

So I am on board with sucking for another year if we can not overcome our injuries. I just don't want to end up 9th or 10 th in the West again.
Rather tank for 40 games and get rid of Sacco and Lacroix (pipedream).

And hell hell hell no to Brian Burke!

No draft pick will ever be a surefire player, potential is all they have. Busts happen all the time.

Not too long ago Duchene was thought of as a player that could possibly hit 90 points in a season. Johnson was a sure thing to be the next hall of fame defensemen. Hell, Adam Larsson was the next great Swedish defensemen, now he is getting scratched (I still think he ends up fine). The fact is, many of these flavor of the weeks tend to not reach their full potential. Tanking just to get more elite talent doesn't guarantee Cups. Smart trading, drafting, and signings get cups... it takes all 3.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
have awesome season, 2-3 playoff rounds(maybe win cup), trade ryan o'reilly for first pick overall and get Barkov and im happy! :D

seriously though, i dont want us to tank... losing in a playoff round is better than last seasons, the excitement from playoffs is worth more imo..

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
There are always good players that go late 1st round or later every year (Giroux, Eberle, Benn, Lucic, ROR, etc.). I'd rather have a good season and see this team get into the playoffs. Then hopefully Varly can stand on his head.

I agree 100%. I like the management and the scouting staff and trust them to improve the team. And I certainly want to watch some exciting hockey and many Avs wins.

outoftune

Nov 16, 2011
1000 Chopper Circle
Well all I have to say is that if we do look like we will be out of it early april I hope Greg from accounting has the sense to trade almost our entire defense for picks/prospects and bring up gaunce elliott, chouinard etc.... if we are going to lose lets do it right

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well all I have to say is that if we do look like we will be out of it early april I hope Greg from accounting has the sense to trade almost our entire defense for picks/prospects and bring up gaunce elliott, chouinard etc.... if we are going to lose lets do it right

Good Lord...the team's been rebuilding for years and you want to strip it down to the point where a guy playing for the Cutthroats has to be put on the roster? :laugh: Not even the Oilers could fail on purpose so spectacularly. I'm guessing if the Avs did something so stupid the league would be investigating them.

And "if we are going to lose let's do it right." is an oxymoron. You can't fail correctly. New rules regarding the draft don't reward the worst team in the league like they used to.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada

Let`s not overreact, we had a bad game in 4. And we were playing against possibly the best team in the league.
At least this game against the Sharks clearly showed what the team is lacking... some puck movers at the blue line.
I also think that we need somebody else to play with Statsny. IMO Landy should be playing with him and Hejduk with Duchene.
ALSO WE NEED RADAR BACK!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad