McKenzie: "I believe the Oilers will add an experienced defenseman"

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
Franson, and the moment he inks a deal with the Oilers a surge of strength will run through his body and he'll become one of the best defensemen in the league.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If dealing with Vegas for like Garrison, IMO Vegas has to take back Fayne. It still would save Vegas about a million bucks.

I think Franson is basically who the Oilers are looking at though. He has OK shot suppression numbers and PP ability and is big and hits which kinda fits Chia's mold.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Franson, and the moment he inks a deal with the Oilers a surge of strength will run through his body and he'll become one of the best defensemen in the league.

No joke I see him regaining some of his offense in Edmonton. Signing there is probably the smartest move for him to get an opportunity to do that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well, Oilers fans: it would likely only cost a 3rd or 4th round pick. Any interest in Garrison or Sbisa?

I'd say yes, except that right now Franson is available for just money. Franson is RHD as well. I'd think it would be a 4th, not a 3rd, just because Vegas has no leverage

But maybe Vegas could take a contract back, and that's appealing because we're close to the limit.

edit

and to those saying Mike Green, even Detroit fans, I don't think he's available. Detroit will be trying to make the playoffs this season, or else why did they sign Daley? But if you are looking to the future deadline, then maybe, but that doesn't help us with the pressing problem, which is Sekera's injury

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Would they have any need of Polak I wonder. Some nice grit on the bottom pairing or as the extra defender.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
How much would Jason Demers cost? From what I've heard, he's quite available. A second pairing of Russell - Demers might be passable until Sekera is back. I think he'd be better than Franson, but it depends on the acquisition cost, as I although I see Demers as an upgrade on Franson, I don't think it's such a massive upgrade that would justify trading a huge asset to acquire Demers, so the price would have to be relatively low, which is why I first asked what would be the probable cost to acquire him would be. I can tell you that it's very likely that we're not trading our 2018 1st, Yamamoto, Caleb Jones, or especially Ethan Bear (IMO) for him (and Puljujarvi which goes without saying), so is there a possible deal to be done for maybe a 2nd or something else or not? If not, fine, but hold back the flames and be reasonable and respectful please.

Actually, since Demers has a few more years on his contract he's probably not a likely candidate, unless FLA is willing to eat some of his contract and that would probably be asking a lot, or drive up his acquisition cost too much to make it still make sense over just signing Franson.

Last edited:

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
If dealing with Vegas for like Garrison, IMO Vegas has to take back Fayne. It still would save Vegas about a million bucks.

I don't mind Fayne, but taking him on doesn't really alleviate our logjam on D. And cap hit isn't as important as real dollars - Fayne gets paid $3.5M this year, while Garrison only makes $2.5M

I'd say yes, except that right now Franson is available for just money. Franson is RHD as well. I'd think it would be a 4th, not a 3rd, just because Vegas has no leverage

But maybe Vegas could take a contract back, and that's appealing because we're close to the limit.

If we take back a contract, it would need to be a forward that we can pass through waivers.

Garrison for Patrick Russell + 2018 4th rd pick?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How much would Jason Demers cost? From what I've heard, he's quite available. A second pairing of Russell - Demers might be passable until Sekera is back. I think he'd be better than Franson, but it depends on the acquisition cost, as I although I see Demers as an upgrade on Franson, I don't think it's such a massive upgrade that would justify trading a huge asset to acquire Demers, so the price would have to be relatively low, which is why I first asked what would be the probable cost to acquire him would be. I can tell you that it's very likely that we're not trading our 2018 1st, Yamamoto, Caleb Jones, or especially Ethan Bear (IMO) for him (and Puljujarvi which goes without saying), so is there a possible deal to be done for maybe a 2nd or something else or not? If not, fine, but hold back the flames and be reasonable and respectable.

Actually, since Demers has a few more years on his contract, he's probably not a likely candidate, unless FLA is willing to eat some of his contract, and that would probably be asking a lot, or drive up his acquisition cost too much to make it still make sense over just signing Franson.

Demers would be the add, but FL will not pay for you to take him, IMO, and as you say cost too likely prohibitive.

Franson is a dynamite add for RHD on PP especially.
But he is slower than slow and sucks defensively.

I'd be looking at Calvin De Haan or Matt Dumba

2 players you could get by not giving up too much and IMHO are primed to take the next step.

De Haan is conceivable, but not cheap - not crazy expensive, but not cheap. NYI need a reason.

Dumba will cost huge, why you would think 'not giving up too much' applies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How much would Jason Demers cost? From what I've heard, he's quite available. A second pairing of Russell - Demers might be passable until Sekera is back. I think he'd be better than Franson, but it depends on the acquisition cost, as I although I see Demers as an upgrade on Franson, I don't think it's such a massive upgrade that would justify trading a huge asset to acquire Demers, so the price would have to be relatively low, which is why I first asked what would be the probable cost to acquire him would be. I can tell you that it's very likely that we're not trading our 2018 1st, Yamamoto, Caleb Jones, or especially Ethan Bear (IMO) for him (and Puljujarvi which goes without saying), so is there a possible deal to be done for maybe a 2nd or something else or not? If not, fine, but hold back the flames and be reasonable and respectable.

Actually, since Demers has a few more years on his contract, he's probably not a likely candidate, unless FLA is willing to eat some of his contract, and that would probably be asking a lot, or drive up his acquisition cost too much to make it still make sense over just signing Franson.

idk what demers value is, but would a 2nd for demers be fair value?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Vegas would have to retain on Garrison or take back a similar contract for it to work. The Oilers have $8.328M in cap space but potential bonuses of $7.525M. They need to keep a cushion for payouts this season so nothing carries over into 2018-19 when McDavid's extension starts.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There are 4 possibilities from Rangers: top shelf, MccDonagh, Smith. Also as noted, Holden and/or Staal.

Holden is cheapest in $. His cap is 1.6, expiring. We estimate his cost as late 1st to early 2nd. GMJG will likely hold out for top dollar, but will not wait if ballpark close offer is on the table. Translation: cough up the Oiler 2018 1st, NY will add a 2018 3rd to Holden. He can play either side has decent size and skating. He is inconsistent on D, but like Staal, was often paired with Girardi, who due to being shotblocking champ one too many times, now has statue level immobility.

Staal is the cheapest in asset cost - a conditional 7th, assuming he waives, but he might to the right place since there is a logjam at LD. He has 4 years remaining at 5.7, but Rangers will eat 2.7 reducing your cost to 3m per. He can then be bought out cheaply, or flipped to a cap dweller. Marc was once the best shutdown D in the league --- again, I said SHUTDOWN --- but had a serious eye injury and two or three concussions, varying degrees from which he has recovered. Translation: if you pair him w/mobile enough partner, and do not overwork 20+ mins per nite, perhaps half of that, he will do solid enough man to man coverage and stickchecking. However, he now sucks at handling puck generally and using the stick in particular.

Conceivably, Smith could be offered, think he has nmc this first year, but say he waives. He just signed 4 years, reasonable, he will cost overpayment. Maybe not massive overpayment, but definitely serious overpayment. Like Sekera, shoots left, comfortable on the right. Solidly tough, mobile -- not a speedster, but does not drag. 5% chance he is moved only if Oil pony up.

McDonagh, ONLY reason he is even mentioned is his sweetheart 4.7 per deal is up in 2 years. At that time, he can get upwards of 8m+ multiyear. There is a chance he may do a parallel Chapman rental and return to the Yankees, except he would give NYR a hometown discount to return; maybe, maybe not. If NY is not offered sufficient overpay, probably massive overpay, they hold him. But if a team coughed up enough, GMJG will listen, IMO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad