McKenzie: "I believe the Oilers will add an experienced defenseman"

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lindholm? Oops, sorry I'm not very familiar with any of the American teams.

Agreed every time I watch that blonde swede I come away impressed. His skating is like - it's like wow! Impressive.

What about Nugent Hopkin and Cam Talbot? The Oiler could have a team that scores so many goals they don't need a D. What the Oil really need is some slick passers on the backend to help their transition game get to the next level. I think McTavish knows this, it's why he signed Russell long term. Russell is great with the transition passes. They really need a cannon who can shoot bombs across two lines to give their speedy skillsters the puck at speed.

What is with this post? MacT isn't the GM anymore and Russell sucks at transitioning. That's more Klefbom's role and maybe Sekera/Nurse/Benning too. Gryba handles the puck like a grenade (as does Fayne).

Who needs D transition when you have Draisaitl and McDavid who are probably top in the league in entering the O-zone... Hall was too. There was stats on how Hall + Draisaitl were excellent in lugging the puck from the D-zone to the O-zone. It's guys like Eberle who need to be passed the puck.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
What is with this post? MacT isn't the GM anymore and Russell sucks at transitioning. That's more Klefbom's role and maybe Sekera/Nurse/Benning too. Gryba handles the puck like a grenade (as does Fayne).

Who needs D transition when you have Draisaitl and McDavid who are probably top in the league in entering the O-zone... Hall was too. There was stats on how Hall + Draisaitl were excellent in lugging the puck from the D-zone to the O-zone. It's guys like Eberle who need to be passed the puck.

I think we all know who's really pulling the strings behind the scenes...

Doesn't matter how good they are at entering the zone. Transition D are absolutely key for a team with moves, and Edmonton has enough moves to win Dance Dance Revolution 10/10.

You think it would hurt to dump some of the grenadier division on the back end in exchange for some medic/sniper passers with eagle eyes and wheels? Couldn't hurt. :nod:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
That's a great point. Green would be an excellent fit on Edmonton. If I were them I'd also try to flip Nurse for a more offensively oriented D and basically just stack the Oils top 6 with puck movers. If they try to get Green at the deadline, depends what kind of seasons he's having, but I can imagine him earning a 2nd rounder. Maybe a middling prospect as well.

As a Ducks fan Lindholm just isn't available. That would be like Edm moving McD or LD. Just wont happen. I actually think the Ducks could really use a center as I don't want Vermette at 3c and I want to keep Rakell at wing. So I am not against RNH as an addition. But we can't really afford him without sending money back and also not keen on making EDM blue line better. If EDM and ANA made a deal it likely would be around Vatanen, but I would refer you to my earlier comment.

As for Green I think you are underselling the cost for offensive RS D. Green Shoots like a forward. He was Detroits #1 D in pretty much all categories save PK time. He also had 36 points on the 26th ranked offense in the league(by goals for). For comparisons sake, EDM was ranked 8th overall in GF and their highest scoring D was Klefbom with 38. It is a pretty safe assumption that Greens point totals go up pretty significantly playing for a team that scored 45 more goals last year. If Green isn't extended and is traded instead he will cost at least a first rounder likely with a + or a very solid prospect with equivalent value. At least IMO.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Of course they would. You think Russell's teammates are gonna say "Oh yeah, actually he's real bad"?

If Russel was half as bad as his advanced stats say his teams wouldn't consistently outscore the opposition when he's on the ice over a several hundred game multi team sample size.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Of course they would. You think Russell's teammates are gonna say "Oh yeah, actually he's real bad"?

I'll start off by saying I was not a big Russell fan when Chia brought him in. But, if you actually watch him play he is 100% a top 4 D man. Pleasantly surprised by his overall game. I don't think he does anything exceptionally, except maybe blocking shots, but he is is solid #4. I wouldn't trust him anchoring the second pairing, but I have no problems with him being the supporting D on that unit.

Character guy that I am happy to have. :nod:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'll start off by saying I was not a big Russell fan when Chia brought him in. But, if you actually watch him play he is 100% a top 4 D man. Pleasantly surprised by his overall game. I don't think he does anything exceptionally, except maybe blocking shots, but he is is solid #4. I wouldn't trust him anchoring the second pairing, but I have no problems with him being the supporting D on that unit.

Character guy that I am happy to have. :nod:

very happy to have him. I do not understand the hate he gets.

I met a fellow Oilers in Ottawa this week while working and he expressed doubts in Russell. I just don't understand the hate he gets, he has been stellar for us, and what we need.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hot about something smaller like Nick Holden for Juhjar Khaira?

The Rangers have a gut of defensemen, Holden had a very good year last year and can play either side and all situations. His cap hit is very small for a 4/5 defenseman. The Rangers need a bigger body for their 4th line.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Always amusing when people are so confident in their terrible opinions

Sorry he is no longer a top 4 d man. Injuries have taken their toll. On a team with any depth he is a 5/6 guy.

Love homers who think others are wrong. Add Edler being a top 4 d man to the Tanev is worth a top 5 pick and Hutton is worth a mid first and top prospect. Edler is no longer a top 4 guy on a good team. He is a depth guy

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Sorry he is no longer a top 4 d man. Injuries have taken their toll. On a team with any depth he is a 5/6 guy.

Love homers who think others are wrong. Add Edler being a top 4 d man to the Tanev is worth a top 5 pick and Hutton is worth a mid first and top prospect. Edler is no longer a top 4 guy on a good team. He is a depth guy

But the Oilers have an above average number three in Sekera, who has chemistry with Russell. So he can comfortably play there regardless of where we think he belongs on the depth chart. But who knows, maybe another year of watching the playoffs will turn me on him completely. I was close at the end of it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
But the Oilers have an above average number three in Sekera, who has chemistry with Russell. So he can comfortably play there regardless of where we think he belongs on the depth chart. But who knows, maybe another year of watching the playoffs will turn me on him completely. I was close at the end of it.

Russell for Edler then?

Oilers have Benning and Nurse. EDLER would be fighting for ice time.

If the Vancouver eats 50% I give a 2nd. When was the last time he played 75 games in a year. I posted those stats earlier. He is entering the injury prone discussion

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Russel was half as bad as his advanced stats say his teams wouldn't consistently outscore the opposition when he's on the ice over a several hundred game multi team sample size.

If Russell was half as bad as his advanced stats say, his teammates would not brag about how good he is, managers would hate his game, and he never would have gotten an extension.

Kris Russell is the posterboy for why advanced stats aren't always an indicator of a player's ability.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

The thing is, we don't need a 5/6. We have Nurse and Benning, both who should be better than last year you would think. We have Dillon Simpson looking to get a shot. I'd rather see what we have in him than trade anything, even mid round picks, for any aging, falling apart defenseman. Kind of goes against what McKenzie said I guess though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
very happy to have him. I do not understand the hate he gets.

I met a fellow Oilers in Ottawa this week while working and he expressed doubts in Russell. I just don't understand the hate he gets, he has been stellar for us, and what we need.

His haters tend to be advanced stat hounds. Guys who watch those numbers closer than the actual game.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
MacT's dream of a d-corps with all puck movers is as much of a canard as Oilers Hockey, offense all the time, going for goals on the rush with no though of what happens when the other team has the puck.

Glad that era is over and management/coaching understands that to win you need to do well on both ends of the ice and values players who can make a difference defensively.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
If Russell was half as bad as his advanced stats say, his teammates would not brag about how good he is, managers would hate his game, and he never would have gotten an extension.

Kris Russell is the posterboy for why advanced stats aren't always an indicator of a player's ability.

No he's the poster boy of how most proponents of advanced stats either solely or overwhemingly favor metrics that lead to scoring goals, and either ignore or downplay ones that have to do with preventing goals against like shot suppression, limiting opposition scoring chances per entry (not the same as zone exits) shot quality limitation, high danger scoring chances against or other valid defensive metrics.

If you're open to metrics, you should accept all of them not just the ones that lead to more goals.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4