McKenzie: "I believe the Oilers will add an experienced defenseman"

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
...wait long enough...like two years and it will eventually happen...what an assclown lol

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Right around the time you trade us Brock Boeser for Sekera, sure.
Boeser is worth 2 Yamamotos.
1--edler not a top 4 d-man any more

2--lets see--missed 14 games last year, 30 the year before, 8 the year before that and 19 the year before that---For me trading a guy who 70+ games over the past 4 years is a bad thing

this is not a 25 year old edler who plays an all around game and gettingn 10 goal a year this is the Edler who get 21 pts a year

Edler would need to battle Russell for the Number 4 spot if Benning or Nurse do not steal it

Edler is on the downslide of his career

Wrong. Edler is a top 4 defensemen. His defense is better now than it was when he was 25. And he is not overpaid.

He is a much better player than scrubs like Russell and Nurse.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Oilers fans thinking Yamamoto can fetch them a top pairing dman... hilarious, just hilarious :laugh:

You guys gave up your 2nd best player, a top 10 left winger in the game, for a #2/#3 dman in Larsson yet Yamamoto can land you someone better?

Please, get real.

Reading is difficult I see . No where in the post did he/she say Yamamoto was worth a top pairing D . The statement was if we were going to trade one it should be for a top pairing D . Common sense would tell you have to add .

For cap reason if the LA Kings could not sign Doughty and he was willing to sign with the Oilers for around 9 to 10 million

RNH
Sekera
1 or Yamamoto or Puljujarvi
1st

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Hickey and a 3rd

For

yamamoto

Hickey can play on either side and is a solid 4/5 dman. He is a lot better then people think. Biggest grip fans have is he is not a big crease clearing dman. Isles have 5 young dman fighting for 2-3 spots as of now

Or.

Hickey

for

3rd.

Sounds more fair and realistic.
Definitely more accurate. Hickey wouldn't even be on the ice once Sekera comes back
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning
Gryba

Wrong. Edler is a top 4 defensemen. His defense is better now than it was when he was 25. And he is not overpaid.

A late 1st round pick 2 years ago who played 9 meaningless games is not worth 2 late 1st's

That "scrub" Russell was the Oilers #1 ES and PK defenseman last year. Edler is declining year after year and injury prone. He's slightly overpaid for what he brings now and I'm predciting he'll be considered massively overpaid by Christmas. I can't believe the Canucks have the 5th highest payroll in the league lol

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Elder has been better than both of those guys when healthy, yep. But he is hurt too much. Russell excelled in his role last year, and Nurse still has tons of potential and could easily break out this season. He was playing amazing last year until he was injured and didn't look the same when he returned. He'll grow out of that issue.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers fans thinking Yamamoto can fetch them a top pairing dman... hilarious, just hilarious :laugh:

You guys gave up your 2nd best player, a top 10 left winger in the game, for a #2/#3 dman in Larsson yet Yamamoto can land you someone better?

Please, get real.

Straw men are fun to argue against

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe we'll just keep an eye on the waiver wire if we're looking to add another defenseman.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Please, get real.

Still upset that you got dealt Taylor? I wouldn't trade Draisaitl, Larsson or Klefbom for Hall. Maybe 2nd best in your eyes.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Just use Fayne for a month. He's not terrible.
Or Stanton. Or Auvito. If all they need is a stop-gap, there's plenty of options.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Just use Fayne for a month. He's not terrible.
Or Stanton. Or Auvito. If all they need is a stop-gap, there's plenty of options.

Gonna be until January not a month. As of now its likely

Klefbom - Larsson
Russel - Benning
Nurse - Gryba*

* Could be any of the above guys you mentioned + someone like Mantha.

Also, Fayne is pretty terrible

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gonna be until January not a month. As of now its likely

Klefbom - Larsson
Russel - Benning
Nurse - Gryba*

* Could be any of the above guys you mentioned + someone like Mantha.

Also, Fayne is pretty terrible

Could be as late as January but could be as early as November. I'm OK with Gryba as a #6 for a couple months.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Definitely more accurate. Hickey wouldn't even be on the ice once Sekera comes back
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning
Gryba

A late 1st round pick 2 years ago who played 9 meaningless games is not worth 2 late 1st's

That "scrub" Russell was the Oilers #1 ES and PK defenseman last year. Edler is declining year after year and injury prone. He's slightly overpaid for what he brings now and I'm predciting he'll be considered massively overpaid by Christmas. I can't believe the Canucks have the 5th highest payroll in the league lol

Buffalo's best #1 all situations defenseman this year was Rasmus Ristolainen, noted defensive liability. Russel isn't anything close to a 4.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There's a name that has interested me in the past. He had some decent success last season in limited games didn't he?

He is really bad at the whole defense part of the equation still. I mean he has come a decent ways, but he just isn't reliable in his own end and that is his big problem still.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sproul passes through waivers in terms of the NHL scouts when that time comes, that is of course if he is even cleared at the start of the season and there is some doubt associated with that still. Sproul hitting waivers means he is healthy enough and all of Detroit's d-man make it through the pre-season injury free which would be a big hurdle at this point for Ericsson and Kronwall.

I know Detroit fans consider him likely gone, but I would actually be pretty surprised if he isn't still in the organization come the start of the season.

He has upside to be sure, but Sproul looks like a guy that isn't going to put all those tools together at this point. He is also far from experienced in terms of what Edmonton is supposedly looking for.

Last edited:

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Any chance they trade one of their better players for a really good dman? I'm thinking Rylan Nugget Hopkins + a 3rd for Hamson Lindlehome. Lindlehome would make a huge difference back there. Think of the breakaways McDavid would get!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Any chance they trade one of their better players for a really good dman? I'm thinking Rylan Nugget Hopkins + a 3rd for Hamson Lindlehome. Lindlehome would make a huge difference back there. Think of the breakaways McDavid would get!

You're not really thinking of the Ducks needs at all in this wishful proposal for Hampus Lindholm. The Ducks are deep at center and would value Lindholm above that offer to be sure in my opinion.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
You're not really thinking of the Ducks needs at all in this wishful proposal for Hampus Lindholm in my opinion. The Ducks are deep at center and would value Lindholm above that offer to be sure in my opinion.

Lindholm? Oops, sorry I'm not very familiar with any of the American teams.

Agreed every time I watch that blonde swede I come away impressed. His skating is like - it's like wow! Impressive.

What about Nugent Hopkin and Cam Talbot? The Oiler could have a team that scores so many goals they don't need a D. What the Oil really need is some slick passers on the backend to help their transition game get to the next level. I think McTavish knows this, it's why he signed Russell long term. Russell is great with the transition passes. They really need a cannon who can shoot bombs across two lines to give their speedy skillsters the puck at speed.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lindholm? Oops, sorry I'm not very familiar with any of the American teams.

Agreed every time I watch that blonde swede I come away impressed. His skating is like - it's like wow! Impressive.

What about Nugent Hopkin and Cam Talbot? The Oiler could have a team that scores so many goals they don't need a D. What the Oil really need is some slick passers on the backend to help their transition game get to the next level. I think McTavish knows this, it's why he signed Russell long term. Russell is great with the transition passes. They really need a cannon who can shoot bombs across two lines to give their speedy skillsters the puck at speed.

I think that undersells what Talbot was last year. Again I doubt the Ducks are unhappy with the goalies they have and are firm believers in John Gibson moving forward.

Lindholm is a tall order to pry out of Anaheim.

I think Mike Green is eventually moved to Edmonton at the deadline, the fit makes a lot of sense. I am curious what the return will be for Detroit. In all honesty the Wings should entertain doing this right now, they are not going to be a very good hockey team this year. Time will tell there. He is a guy that can play decent minutes and is an excellent outlet passer to players with a lot of pace. Fits the vet bill, just not sure he is available yet.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I think that undersells what Talbot was last year. Again I doubt the Ducks are unhappy with the goalies they have and are firm believers in John Gibson moving forward.

Lindholm is a tall order to pry out of Anaheim.

I think Mike Green is eventually moved to Edmonton at the deadline, the fit makes a lot of sense. I am curious what the return will be for Detroit. In all honesty the Wings should entertain doing this right now, they are not going to be a very good hockey team this year. Time will tell there. He is a guy that can play decent minutes and is an excellent outlet passer to players with a lot of pace. Fits the vet bill, just not sure he is available yet.

That's a great point. Green would be an excellent fit on Edmonton. If I were them I'd also try to flip Nurse for a more offensively oriented D and basically just stack the Oils top 6 with puck movers. If they try to get Green at the deadline, depends what kind of seasons he's having, but I can imagine him earning a 2nd rounder. Maybe a middling prospect as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad