Speculation: Hypothetically , Hamilton or landeskog

Who would you rather sign as a free agent

• Total voters

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Could have just dumped Al Kerfoot’s contract on Seattle and still had a prospect and a pick to go along with the cap space.

But that would require a competent GM.
Yeah, what a mistake to have a perfect contingiency plan at low cost.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yes. He’s very good playing in an offensive role, but he’s poor defensively.

There’s a reason he’s never been a top pairing defenseman, and there’s a reason he moves around regularly.

This.

Folks criticize Rielly because of his average to subpar defending .. I don’t think Hamilton is much better in that area.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I went neither player because we don't have the cap space.

Leafs currently have $9.3 mil free space, but that is a result of our current UFAs status as in #1LW Hyman ($2.25 mil), #1G Andersen ($5 mil), 3rd pairing Dman Bogosian ($1.0 mil) and a pair of depth forwards Thornton ($750k) and Galchenyuk ($1.0 mil) = $10 mil

Each one of those players needs to be replaced at least those positions filled to go from 17 players to 21-22 to start the season. Leafs can steal a couple mil from the goaltending position and find a backup for $3 mil, to reallocate to #1LW to replace Hyman for approx $4.5 mil and a depth Dman for $1 mil and a couple of forwards making league min at $750k, without any larger contracts going out.

Leafs are not in a position to go deep sea fishing for a $9 mil player like Hamilton nor Landeskog, but rather be fishing near the shore line looking for bargains and fill some key positions of departing players strategically but cost effectively.

If you want Hamilton then Reilly has to be going out and not much cap money coming back.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This.

Folks criticize Rielly because of his average to subpar defending .. I don’t think Hamilton is much better in that area.

He's not Doughty in his prime, but he's closer than Rielly is, can handle big forwards more effectively, and his point shot would really help open up our PP which has been an Achilles heel for this team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
why would you trade the guy who actually did something in the playoffs. that too on a good contract?
He has pretty good value and I don't find that his playoff was overly remarkable.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Neither. The Leafs need more depth, not to become more top heavy. It's the single biggest reason they can't win in the playoffs.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Landeskog has a lot of what we need, but 8.5 on another forward is just too rich.

Maybe at 7.

But if contracts didn't matter I'd prefer Landy over Hamilton would give the top 6 an insane boost.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
He has pretty good value and I don't find that his playoff was overly remarkable.
But it was good. Why keep more overpaid players when we want cap relief instead of shifting deck chairs?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
But it was good. Why keep more overpaid players when we want cap relief instead of shifting deck chairs?
I don't know that they are looking for cap relief at the moment. I think first and foremost in their minds is making the playoffs next season.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I don't know that they are looking for cap relief at the moment. I think first and foremost in their minds is making the playoffs next season.
Fair enough but i doubt they trade william for landy as I think landy costs more.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad