Speculation: Hypothetically , Hamilton or landeskog

Who would you rather sign as a free agent

• Total voters

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
At those deals? Hamilton ainec.

Hamilton is one of the 5 best defenseman in the league and arguably the best offensively.

Landy is a great top-6 forward but he brings defense more than offense. He'd be a great pick up, but there's 0 chance he should be making more than 5-6M.

I'd like both of them, but if it's one or the other Hamilton, by a lot.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So no one has talked about The Great 8, he's a UFA and rumored to be in the $8 to $11 mil category (depends on term) ... big range for a great player... 35 years old, the guy is a lock for 40 goals every year.

Hell this team is all scoring all the time, why not say F it with our bottom 6 , everyone is league min. Play the top 2 lines 22 minutes a night, the bottom 2 mines get 8 minutes each. ... ;)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Trade Rielly and Marner and sign both.

7x8.5 for Hamilton
7x7.5 for Landeskog

Having an abundance of RHD depth is a better issue to have and have another former captain who plays with some grit instead of Marner.

Reactions: MJK and Jmo89

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Lando is one of my favourite Kitchener players ever so the bias in me wants him.

Realistically I think we should spread that kind of money across many people.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
How about:

Hamilton & Landeskog are buy 1 (@8.5m) get 1 free but you have to bring back Jumbo & play him 20+ minutes a night.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
We need 2 LWs and a goalie, we can't afford a player at 8.5M this offseason
Although not ideal, Hutchinson is still under contract for next season. He had a fine year last season, and at least has shown an ability to be an NHL goalie. Kallgren could surprise and prove he's NHL ready. Robertson should give the same sort of performance and production that you could get for under 2 million.

I also don't see or believe Landeskog will get 8.5. Everything that matters comes down to what will make each player the most amount of money in the long run. The deal in the poll is 42.5M over 5 years. for 50M over 7 years would be just over 7M per. The decision at that point comes down to the player betting they will make more that 7.5M in the 2 years after the 5 year deal is up. Landeskog would be 34 after a 5 year deal. It's possible and even likely he will still be a player worth more than 3.75M per year after that, but 1 bad injury, or a couple poor seasons, and that becomes much more unlikely.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I know both of them are asking for $9 million each so I just try to make the term and value close to what they were asking.

My vote goes with Landeskog. I think it would be an amazing fit with AM34

Sadly Leafs only have about $9 mil total in free cap space and need 2-3 wingers/forwards, a dman and a 1B goalie as they only have 17 players under contract to get up to 21 players.

A first line LW at @$3.5 mil and a 2nd/3rd line LW for $2.5 mil and a depth vet dman @$ 1.5 mil and a reliable backup goalie at ~@$3.0 mil = $10.5 mil

How could you make adding either Landeskog or Hamilton work @$ 9 mil without first getting rid of one of Leafs biggest contracts like say trading Marner @$10.9 mil for futures picks and prospects and then reinvest his cap space into that player you listed and still fill out the rest of the roster as I have suggested to address other needs?

Last edited:

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
And what 5 roster spots to fill?
Landeskog-Matthews-Marner
xxx(Robertson)-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
xxx(Anderson)-Brooks-Spezza
Other players to fill xxx include Malgin, Bunting, Dal Colle, Sherwood, Merkley, Timashov

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
xxx(Liljegren)(League min FA Defender ala Bogosian)

Campbell
xxx(Hutchinson)(Kallgren)

So really all you need to do is find a better backup.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Obviously Hamilton but what this team needs most is depth. There is no one player that’s going to turn this around. I’d rather go with several depth pieces like the Isles than throw everything at one guy.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Landeskog. But Toronto will get neither. My guess is the Leafs will sign Granlund and Mrazek this Wednesday. I’m hoping they’ll also sign Ritchie and Gudbranson as well.

Granlund - Matthews - Nylander
Ritchie - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Engvall - Brooks - Spezza

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Gudbranson

Campbell - Mrazek

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Landeskog-Matthews-Marner
xxx(Robertson)-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
xxx(Anderson)-Brooks-Spezza
Other players to fill xxx include Malgin, Bunting, Dal Colle, Sherwood, Merkley, Timashov

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott
xxx(Liljegren)(League min FA Defender ala Bogosian)

Campbell
xxx(Hutchinson)(Kallgren)

So really all you need to do is find a better backup.
Did we bring back Tima?

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Could have just dumped Al Kerfoot’s contract on Seattle and still had a prospect and a pick to go along with the cap space.

But that would require a competent GM.
Kerfoot is worth more than a 7th + low prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad