Proposal: Hypothetical: Jonathan Drouin's agent goes to Kent Hughes and offers a 1yr extension at league min. Do you accept it?

Re-sign J. Drouin to a 750,000 NMC contract?

• Yes

Votes: 70 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 293 80.7%

• Total voters

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The OP said with though

Yeah, but i'm not the OP. We can discuss alternatives, can't we?

I think adding a nmc/ntc defeats the whole purpose of re-signing him for cheap, as I don't want him for anything more than trade fodder to get picks next year and he gets to upgrade his value if he's motivated enough. Win/win. If it takes a nmc/ntc to convince him, then it's a no-go for me.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Yeah, but i'm not the OP. We can discuss alternatives, can't we?

I think adding a nmc/ntc defeats the whole purpose of re-signing him for cheap, as I don't want him for anything more than trade fodder to get picks next year and he gets to upgrade his stock if he's motivated enough. Win/win. If it takes a nmc/ntc to convince him, then it's a no-go for me.

Why don't "we" just trade him at this year's deadline then? I doubt he'll have more value next deadline versus this one. His stats show decline on an annual basis.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why don't "we" just trade him at this year's deadline then? I doubt he'll have more value next deadline versus this one. His stats show decline on an annual basis.
This is what happens, when you play for the name on the back, and not the crest on the front.
Bergevin totally misjudged this kid, and Stevie Y knew better, and fleeced him.
Expiration date is up.................................

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
This is what happens, when you play for the name on the back, and not the crest on the front.
Bergevin totally misjudged this kid, and Stevie Y knew better, and fleeced him.
Expiration date is up.................................
Honestly, let's say Bergervin was smart (I know, long shot. Fake news) and gave Drouin a "show me" contract when he traded for him. Lets say two years. Would he have earned a second contract?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Because we have better trade baits to retain on this year and can only retain on three contracts. Drouin's salary this year is a massive hurdle as trade bait. At 750k, not so much.

And as I previously said, a Drouin at 750k will have no more pressure and expectations. Some people strive under high pressure and expectations, while others perform better when they are free from those. I believe Drouin is the latter.

It's a no cost gamble that could have a nice pay off.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Because we have better trade baits to retain on this year and can only retain on three contracts. Drouin's salary this year is a massive hurdle as trade bait. At 750k, not so much.

And as I previously said, a Drouin at 750k will have no more pressure and expectations. Some people strive under high pressure and expectations, while others perform better when they are free from those. I believe Drouin is the latter.

Alright, I see the logic - I just don't like it haha. I don't know if my stomach can handle another year without forming ulcers.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Unlike YOU..................it doesn't matter where a kid is born, I cheer for the Habs.
You are the one who is not being honest...............and should use your mirror. I call out all the lazy players, which is why Drouin is a target............I call out me me me players, which is why Danault was a target....Growing up and watching the Habs, Lemaire, Cournoyer and Lafleur and Dryden were my favorite payers so you can shove your theory you know where.
You have ZERO credibility with me....................no worries, your boy is on his way to the Land of Oz very soon, I hope he can find what he is looking for there.
Cheers.
:laugh: you never give up, attacking player , attacking fans ...

I am here to share opinion with others that also have an opinion. Not to read emptiness comments

" this player is lazy, this other is me me me" " That's why they are my target" .
Yeah, nothing can be more appropriate to describe your attitude ; you want a target , someone to attack, to insult

Just stop to quote me, stop to answer my posts or the ones of people talking to me.
I don't want to read your bad comments , your attacks, the dots....................... that you put everywhere in your posts. I like to read or share constructive and positive comments, not annoying , destructive attacks , so bye

Have a good end of evening

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Honestly, let's say Bergervin was smart (I know, long shot. Fake news) and gave Drouin a "show me" contract when he traded for him. Lets say two years. Would he have earned a second contract?
Unfortunately, Bergevin would still have been the GM, so he would have been re-signed -- and "earned" would not have been part of the equation.

i don't think he has recovered from 3 wrist surgeries and one ankle surgery in 4 years... people tend to conveniently forget that stuff.
If he hasn't recovered in four years, then he's done and one more year isn't going to make a difference.

Reactions: Habs13

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Unfortunately, Bergevin would still have been the GM, so he would have been re-signed -- and "earned" would not have been part of the equation.

If he hasn't recovered in four years, then he's done and one more year isn't going to make a difference.
he's had a surgery each year. we don't know if one year will make a difference, we aren't doctors. When he's healthy he produces, unless the team is in the toilet then he doesn't put himself at risk. I think someone will roll the dice on him at the deadline anyway. He's a cheap gamble and can play in the top 6 on a skill team.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
:laugh: you never give up, attacking player , attacking fans ...

I am here to share opinion with others that also have an opinion. Not to read emptiness comments

" this player is lazy, this other is me me me" " That's why they are my target" .
Yeah, nothing can be more appropriate to describe your attitude ; you want a target , someone to attack, to insult

Just stop to quote me, stop to answer my posts or the ones of people talking to me.
I don't want to read your bad comments , your attacks, the dots....................... that you put everywhere in your posts. I like to read or share constructive and positive comments, not annoying , destructive attacks , so bye

Have a good end of evening
Put me on ignore............
I can reverse your entire drivel of a post.
You defend a lazy overpaid floater, and expect no pushback? God forbid someone point out what useless turd Drouin has become....
As for your target comment, not even close.............all these kids have to do is play the game, the right way, and EARN their money.......something your hunny bunny Drouin has NOT done in 6 years.
But by all means, leave your rose coloured glasses on.
Cheers.......

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The show me contract, would have shown nothing................
Bottom line, is, the trade should never have been made.
We all know why, as he admitted the reason he made the trade......stupid reasoning, stupid clown GM.
But, here we are talking about a kid who some fans defend as he moves the goal posts 6 years in a row, each and every October, we heard all the right things, only to go out and $hit the bed...............

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Yeah and Bergevin would've signed him for 8x 5.5, cuz that's the season (his 2nd here) he produced on the Domi line.

We'd be stuck with 5 more years of Drouin at 5+ million!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Actually, the Habs do not have three better trade baits to retain on this season, IMO. There are four pending UFA on the roster -- Drouin, Dadanov, Monahan and Byron. Right now, unless Monahan gets and remains healthy, the most attractive of those four may actually be Byron. A team up against the cap could send the Habs a player under contract plus a pick/prospect in order to use his LTIR space. No salary retention would be needed in such a case.

Even if Hughes backs off on his stance of not retaining on multi-year contracts, there are only two vets on the roster who have one more year before UFA -- Edmundson and Hoffman. The former would be the only one that would make sense to retain on. Hoffman is probably stuck here for another season.

There is no way Hughes will retain on the longer contracts of Armia or Anderson.

So, at most, I see only two possible retention slots being taken up (Monahan and Edmundson), and neither of those are definite for the reasons outlined above.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Drouin averaged 50 points his first two years here so he would've easily earned a second contract. He wasn't living up to his potential, but he was looking better his second season playing mainly with Domi/Shaw.

It was in his third year that the injuries started and ever since he has completely fallen off.

Part of the issue when he was traded for was he was made to be the savior of our offence, which was a ton of pressure for a 22 year old given how shitty our offence was at the time (and still is...). I wonder if things would have been different if we re-signed Radulov which would have helped take some pressure off Drouin and given him a talented player to play with.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
A thought came to my mind, if Drouin's agent said to the Habs that Drouin is desperate to make it work and pay back the faith the Habs and Habs fans placed in him -- it would be a PR and goodwill coup for both Drouin and the Habs (and possibly give Drouin another shot to extend his NHL career) -- would the Habs accept? Should the Habs accept?

Why or why not?

For your information he has 0 goals, 5 assists in 18 games this season (on pace for 23pts in an 82 game season). He had 20pts in 34gp last season. In his best seasons as a Hab he had 46 and 53 points.
If you are tanking again next season......then extend Drouin

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He would have been an RFA at the end of the deal for one. Secondly, Drouin put up decent numbers in his time in Montreal prior to this year. He absolutely would have been given another contract.

Drouin obviously never lived up to his draft position, and trading Sergachev for him clearly didn't work out for Montreal, but prior to this year Drouin had 157 points in 263 games with the Habs. Over an 82 game schedule, that's a little over 48 points. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
4F3EB7CF-1C06-40DF-BD4F-3F7B87AE00AC.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad