Proposal: Hypothetical: Jonathan Drouin's agent goes to Kent Hughes and offers a 1yr extension at league min. Do you accept it?

Re-sign J. Drouin to a 750,000 NMC contract?

• Yes

Votes: 70 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 293 80.7%

• Total voters

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Wouldn't it be funny if we traded him back to tampa at the deadline for a 4th round pick.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
It's not about contract value per points produced, this is not a healthy relationship and time to move on (for both sides).

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
he can leave. see ya...useless player
TB knew it, MB was a clown to do that deal
5.5 million per year for 6 years given before he even played 1 game with us, the ONLY reason being his Last name. Nonsense like that can never happen again in this organization. The French media RDS/TVA really is an enemy of the wellbeing of this team.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Habs13

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He would have been an RFA at the end of the deal for one. Secondly, Drouin put up decent numbers in his time in Montreal prior to this year. He absolutely would have been given another contract.

Drouin obviously never lived up to his draft position, and trading Sergachev for him clearly didn't work out for Montreal, but prior to this year Drouin had 157 points in 263 games with the Habs. Over an 82 game schedule, that's a little over 48 points. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Responding to the bolded, he’s such a defensive liability that if he’s not averaging well over 60 points a season, he’s not worth putting on the ice.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If a team wants instant production and playoff production they’ll take a cheap flyer on Drouin if they think he’s healthy. Unlike the casual fan they know he’s had wrist and ankle problems but the strength of his game is creativity and he just needs decent linemates. Need to put him on the top line to show what he can do.

Last edited:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Responding to the bolded, he’s such a defensive liability that if he’s not averaging well over 60 points a season, he’s not worth putting on the ice.
That's objectively not true. He'll never win a selke, but his defense is better than a handful of guys on the team.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Why would a team want him? So that his team mates could resent him? If any GM is willing to give the prima donna a contract they are losing their mind.

Do you have evidence to support an advocate for mental health and a player nominated by the team for his humanitarian(charity) efforts is a prima donna?

As far as I know Galchenyuk is on his 7th NHL team in 6 years and is still given opportunities. I'm pretty sure if Drouin wants to continue playing he'll get an offer. It won't be an expensive one though.

Reactions: ZUKI

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Do you have evidence to support an advocate for mental health and a player nominated by the team for his humanitarian(charity) efforts is a prima donna?

As far as I know Galchenyuk is on his 7th NHL team in 6 years and is still given opportunities. I'm pretty sure if Drouin wants to continue playing he'll get an offer. It won't be an expensive one though.
The question is would Drouin be willing to go down in order to get back up? It's hard to see him cracking anyones lineup as it stands. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Literally no reason to re sign him and I would think he would want a fresh start somewhere else although he’s probably at PTO status at this point.

I still think the team didn’t do him any favours especially that first year Claude played him at centre the whole season which was so dumb.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The question is would Drouin be willing to go down in order to get back up? It's hard to see him cracking anyones lineup as it stands. Just my opinion.

I don't think he'd have a problem being a top 13 forward. We've seen worse players get tryouts and contracts.

By no means am i suggesting he'll be successful. I just think he's young enough and hasn't exactly tried multiple organizations. He'll get a chance somewhere IF he wants to continue playing.

I don't think he needs to go to AHL either.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
If a team wants instant production and playoff production they’ll take a cheap flyer on Drouin if they think he’s healthy. Unlike the casual fan they know he’s had wrist and ankle problems but the strength of his game is creativity and he just needs decent linemates. Need to put him on the top line to show what he can do.
Drouin's had one good playoff performance, and that was seven years ago. His playoff prowess is a myth.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
:laugh: you never give up, attacking player , attacking fans ...

I am here to share opinion with others that also have an opinion. Not to read emptiness comments

" this player is lazy, this other is me me me" " That's why they are my target" .
Yeah, nothing can be more appropriate to describe your attitude ; you want a target , someone to attack, to insult

Just stop to quote me, stop to answer my posts or the ones of people talking to me.
I don't want to read your bad comments , your attacks, the dots....................... that you put everywhere in your posts. I like to read or share constructive and positive comments, not annoying , destructive attacks , so bye

Have a good end of evening
Pot meet kettle. If you are upset by post that are negative, why are you on this board? Your hands are as dirty as everyone else, just not when it comes to Drouin. Then its entirely different. I won't bother digging up your old posts like a troll, but

aa38a03b-1bfb-4965-9f63-120c8769337c_text.gif

Reactions: BLONG7 and amethyst

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Drouin averaged 50 points his first two years here so he would've easily earned a second contract. He wasn't living up to his potential, but he was looking better his second season playing mainly with Domi/Shaw.

It was in his third year that the injuries started and ever since he has completely fallen off.

Part of the issue when he was traded for was he was made to be the savior of our offence, which was a ton of pressure for a 22 year old given how shitty our offence was at the time (and still is...). I wonder if things would have been different if we re-signed Radulov which would have helped take some pressure off Drouin and given him a talented player to play with.
46 point first line center. Having never played a single game for the habs we betrothed the top dog position to someone who not only didn't earn their contract, but wasn't even his natural position. That is how insane this team was run in the mid Berg years. Do you know the last time we had a 46 point center? The year Koivu was injured and played 54 games and had 47 points. And Desharnais had 48 points in 82 games in 2015.

in 2017 chuck had 44 points in 61 games, but wasn't our 1C, Dan-0 had 82 games and 40 points Shaw-wasn't a center full time had 68 games 29 points, pleks 78 games 28 points.

Drouins first season in 77 games 46 points while playing top line. Chuck who was started on the 4th line wing no less ended that season with 51 points. From this I can only guess why Drouin had such bad numbers...must have been Chucks fault.

Reactions: Rapala and BLONG7

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
:laugh: you will be deceived because i won't care . To me hockey isn't that important and i don't follow the career of former Habs , even if sometime i will just give a look to their stats. I am not worry about the future of his career, he's already richer than 95% of the population

People here think that i am a big fan of Drouin, but they are completely wrong. I just don't accept the treatments or insults he receives day after day
The bolded part is all you needed to post.

Personally I can't wait till he is taking one less roster spot. I don't care about his pro rated mid level stats despite not completing a full season as a hab.(came close in one year with 81 games). Its his allergy to taking a hit, his lack of defense, his gliding about on the pond style of play. Amazing backyard player, but not what we need on this team. Let someone else use that position to strive for. We ain't winning so why would I care if an aging vet gets 25 points in 70 games, vs giving some young guys a chance to play and make 20 points between them but developing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Forum93

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Ignore lists are for wussies, don't do it.

I used to think the very same thing, until I realized trolls and failed contrarians are a waste of time and pollute/derail threads and the best thing to do to reduce their impact or motivation is to just ignore them. If people can't debate properly, they're not worth my time or attention.

I still whipe out my list from time to time, except for a few extreme cases who are just worthless in debates.

I'm not gonna bother with someone who constantly uses sophistry. The constant corrections to all their strawmen, spins and distortions is just way too time consuming.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I used to think the very same thing, until I realized trolls and failed contrarians are a waste of time and pollute/derail threads and the best thing to do to reduce their impact or motivation is to just ignore them. If people can't debate properly, they're not worth my time or attention.

I still whipe out my list from time to time, except for a few extreme cases who are just worthless in debates.

I'm not gonna bother with someone who constantly uses sophistry. The constant corrections to all their strawmen, spin and distortions is just way too time consuming.
On a site like this, people are going to have varying opinions.
It's going to happen where people are going to agree, and disagree..............we all see it differntly.
People can double down on things so hard, it doesn't make sense some times, and we will all but heads at times.

I do also believe, there are those that simply oppose the general consensus on a players performance and when wrong, are embarassed and will not walk it down from their perspective just because.

In this thread there are some, who still feel Drouin is a good player...........which is absolutely astonishing to most of us. Astonishing............but hey it takes all kinds.

Drouin has done almost nothing as a hab, and has made excuses all the way along, always never his fault... we all wanted him to succeed but when he barely tried on most nights, it was hard to take.............glad this is the last year with him around....

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
On a site like this, people are going to have varying opinions.
It's going to happen where people are going to agree, and disagree..............we all see it differntly.
People can double down on things so hard, it doesn't make sense some times, and we will all but heads at times.

I do also believe, there are those that simply oppose the general consensus on a players performance and when wrong, are embarassed and will not walk it down from their perspective just because.

In this thread there are some, who still feel Drouin is a good player...........which is absolutely astonishing to most of us. Astonishing............but hey it takes all kinds.

Drouin has done almost nothing as a hab, and has made excuses all the way along, always never his fault... we all wanted him to succeed but when he barely tried on most nights, it was hard to take.............glad this is the last year with him around....
There is a lot of stat watching in all sports, but the eye test is more useful in hockey IMO. Not the be all and end all. but when you see a talented player that has very low motivation, for whatever reason, it leaves a distinct taste in your mouth. I know Kovy is more liked by many hab faithfuls than Koivu, and I loved his talent level. That being said he also spent a lot of time floating around when he wasn't ON.

Saku generally gave 85-100 % each night. Rarely took nights off while being surrounded by 'neverweres', 'whowasits', and 'i sorta remember them' players. Chris Higgins-future captain of the habs, come on down. Kovy on the other hand could dazzle and elbow shiver tucker on a given night and then disappear for 5 games at a time.

I was going to do a Petrov vs Berezin comparison, but most under 30 would have little idea of whom I am talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad