News Article: Hyman's next contract

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Much probably depends on the feeling of having all of Marner, Nylander, Mikheyev and Robertson as the top four wingers moving forward. Mikheyev would be a season away from UFA status himself. Robertson has yet to carve out that significant of a role.

Reactions: qqaz

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That seems a little weak for a team trying to win now.
I don't think they are winning now ... my entire point is we need a couple playoff runs first so da boys learn what it takes to win in playoffs ... so why waste away on another asset like Freddy where we might be able to get a 2022 1st rounder for him

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't think they are winning now ... my entire point is we need a couple playoff runs first so da boys learn what it takes to win in playoffs ... so why waste away on another asset like Freddy where we might be able to get a 2022 1st rounder for him

That’s fair, I agree with trying to get something for the asset, if not resigning

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
If he were to chase money high reaching comparables could be guys like Kane (7m x 7 but percentage of todays cap equals 7.6 x 7), Lee (7mx7) , Kreider (6.5m x7) & Gallagher (6.5m x6)

Reasonable comparables are Anderson :/ (5.5m x 7), Killorn (4.45m x 7 but percentage of todays cap equals 4.97m x 7), Connor Brown (3.6m x 3 signed as RFA), and maybe on the low end pre-breakout Bryan Rust (3.5m x 4 signed as RFA)

Killorn signed at 27, Hyman will be 29 so with the pandemic 4.5m x 5 would be very fair for both sides.

Low comparables are like Brandon Tanev (3.5m x 6) and Kassian (3.2m x 4)

His short term value is between 5m-5.75m, if he has another good year I could see a desperate GM offer him 6M with like 5-6 year term

I'd like to think he'd be the guy to take a big hometown discount if he gets term and big signing bonus deal.

3.75m x 7

If the last years are bad just deal with it then.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not sure I do want him to stay, he's going to be 29, which by itself I don't care about. But his body has already started to break down he's already had one MAJOR knee injury

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I'm not sure I do want him to stay, he's going to be 29, which by itself I don't care about. But his body has already started to break down he's already had one MAJOR knee injury
So in the last 4 seasons where he's been up with the big club he's played 51, 71, 82 and 82 games... Aside from this past season missing a good amount of time, not sure how that really indicates his body has already started to break down. Lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So in the last 4 seasons where he's been up with the big club he's played 51, 71, 82 and 82 games... Aside from this past season missing a good amount of time, not sure how that really indicates his body has already started to break down. Lol

Well he missed 11 games last year and 19 this year that's 30 games combinef the last 2 years.

So you tell me how is that not a sign his body is breaking down given the style he plays?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
On the positive side for the Leafs hes in the tier of players who will likely get their salaries pinched while league finances get pinched by covid.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

How do you do this though? I mean, unless Campbell/Dell makes him redundant, how do you trade away your goalie, that gives you that chance to win in the playoffs, and learn? I understand the thought process, but also consider that they need to win a round or two, to do that learning, and right now, Freddie gives them that best chance. You know quite a bit about Dell I would imagine? Can a Campbell/Dell pairing suffice?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Well he missed 11 games last year and 19 this year that's 30 games combinef the last 2 years.

So you tell me how is that not a sign his body is breaking down given the style he plays?
Injuries happen. By this logic, Tavares missed 19 games this year, his body is clearly breaking down too. Trade him!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How do you do this though? I mean, unless Campbell/Dell makes him redundant, how do you trade away your goalie, that gives you that chance to win in the playoffs, and learn? I understand the thought process, but also consider that they need to win a round or two, to do that learning, and right now, Freddie gives them that best chance. You know quite a bit about Dell I would imagine? Can a Campbell/Dell pairing suffice?
Freddy is 0 for 8 when it counts for us ... I don't know if Campbell and/or Dell or even a red hot Woll can win us a series or two but we can't be any worse off than going 0 for 9 ... winners win losers lose that is life ... Fredy is gone after this season no matter what we can't afford what he wants and he likely needs a change of scenery anywho ... I'd rather get an asset for him then lose in playoffs and then forgo a pick too ... don't forget he cost us a late 1st rounder ... I hope we cut bait and get some value ... just look at what Khudobin did for Dallas ... no reason one of Campbell or Dell can't do same

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I think Hyman is aware that, while he could probably make more money elsewhere as a free agent, he's wildly unlikely to find a better on-ice situation.

Here in Toronto he's practically guaranteed to play with 2 of our big 4, every single game. That's a very favorable spot to play.

I'm expecting a reasonable AAV, with player friendly term and movement clauses to compensate.

Reactions: Korg and TMLAM34

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think Hyman is aware that, while he could probably make more money elsewhere as a free agent, he's wildly unlikely to find a better on-ice situation.

Here in Toronto he's practically guaranteed to play with 2 of our big 4, every single game. That's a very favorable spot to play.

I'm expecting a reasonable AAV, with player friendly term and movement clauses to compensate.

This is a good point. Wilson and Landeskog are really the only two players who've consistently played a similar role in the whole league. Guaranteed minutes with elite linemates isn't common for muckers and is arguably worth millions itself.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
let him walk , signing him would be Clarkson 2.0

good thing is Dumbass hasn't left himself 2 nickels to rub together so he can't overspend on a Hyman

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad