News Article: Hyman's next contract

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
If he's serious and willing to give us a discount I'd give him 3.75 x 6years full NTC and heavily front loaded to make up for the half mill I'm taking off him.

I can see something close to that with a plan to keep him in the organization after he retires. Position to be named later. He is an exemplary player - person

Reactions: BlueBaron

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Because it is by far the best sports article site. You get what you pay for.
Oh ok. I’m going to start advertising on the sly too. I’ll just say if you signup for the free trial they will try taking money out your account even after you unsubscribe. Thats what i know personally. Carefully how you give out private information. I will decide where is best to get my sports articles. I’ll take free but if paying makes you feel smarter have at it. I’ll feel smarter with $70 in my pocket

It’s not a free trial so read carefully

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I can see something close to that with a plan to keep him in the organization after he retires. Position to be named later. He is an exemplary player - person
I could definitely see him staying with the organization in a player development role or something.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Oh ok. I’m going to start advertising on the sly too. I’ll just say if you signup for the free trial they will try taking money out your account even after you unsubscribe. Thats what i know personally. Carefully how you give out private information. I will decide where is best to get my sports articles. I’ll take free but if paying makes you feel smarter have at it. I’ll feel smarter with $70 in my pocket

It’s not a free trial so read carefully

The difference between you and The Athletic is there is multiple insiders that write for The Athletic across multiple sports (Lebrun for example), there is experienced beat writers per city (Mirtle) and the quality of the posts and reports are better than you can find anywhere else.

I never said paying makes me smarter, I just enjoy quality content and find that it worth paying for.

There also is a limited free feature that you can read 3 articles per month without signing up for the free trial. Amazon also autocharges for prime following their free trial, are they crooks as well?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The difference between you and The Athletic is there is multiple insiders that write for The Athletic across multiple sports (Lebrun for example), there is experienced beat writers per city (Mirtle) and the quality of the posts and reports are better than you can find anywhere else.

I never said paying makes me smarter, I just enjoy quality content and find that it worth paying for.

There also is a limited free feature that you can read 3 articles per month without signing up for the free trial. Amazon also autocharges for prime following their free trial, are they crooks as well?
Ok yeah. I might been testy there :) all good. I don’t appreciate them much either. Hell yeah on lots out there trying to renew things because you didnt Read the finest print.

Reactions: The Podium

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
come on guys, hyman is on pace for a 60 per 82 year, probably a 50-60 point guy next year on his contract year and he has a U infront of his free agency...if we had cap space and hyman was on another team, i throw 5 mill at a hyman like player any summer, might even go higher to outbid someone

what 50-60 point winger, that plays great D, and plays first unit PK minutes...i mean what winger like this make 3 mill or even 4 mill in this league, who? where? what team? we really looking at a number closer to 5

and hyman is part of this forward core, along with matthews tavares marner nylander and probably robertson...its our 3rd line and 4-6 D thats gonna have to suffer and be paid small amounts which means most likely weaker players...but we gotta pay our big boys right

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs need to be careful with this one. Hyman will be 29 at the end of this current contract. Undoubtedly he brings a lot of compete, grit, leadership, and work ethic but I'm nervous to think what his on ice play will look like when he loses a step. His puck skills won't get any better either, and they are not that great to begin with.

I love the guy and what he brings but I'd be extremely hesitant to hitch my wagon to him long-term.

If you can get him on a 4 year deal around $4-$4.5 mill AAV, I think the Leafs do well here. If it's a term longer than 5 years I think they lose this deal.

Agreed. Though I so think they could give him like 3.5-3.75 on like 5 or 6 years and it would be fine.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
come on guys, hyman is on pace for a 60 per 82 year, probably a 50-60 point guy next year on his contract year and he has a U infront of his free agency...if we had cap space and hyman was on another team, i throw 5 mill at a hyman like player any summer, might even go higher to outbid someone

what 50-60 point winger, that plays great D, and plays first unit PK minutes...i mean what winger like this make 3 mill or even 4 mill in this league, who? where? what team? we really looking at a number closer to 5

and hyman is part of this forward core, along with matthews tavares marner nylander and probably robertson...its our 3rd line and 4-6 D thats gonna have to suffer and be paid small amounts which means most likely weaker players...but we gotta pay our big boys right

This season was Hyman’s outlier but we could see a better touch and a calmer player in the paint. I wouldn’t want to guess his ask but I wouldn’t go $5,000,000 yet. Best part is more clarity will be there to evaluate after next season. If he plays like this year again you are in the right range likely right? Wouldn’t be that far off anyways! Nobody could really argue he’s not worth $5,000,000 then much. The cap flattening out for a couple years could turn it in to a bigger decision.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think management could counter with the statement: "where else will you play alongside Matthews or Marner".

If he wants 5 or close to it, he will be getting that on another team. Which is fine, hockey is a business, but he will have to "give" on his end if he wants to stay a Leafs.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
The Athletic shows his comparable in the 4-5 million range, and predicts a 4.3 million contract.
Sounds about right. Somewhere between 4 and 5 million is my guess.

hyman is getting 5.5m from a lot of teams next year as a ufa, hes not taking a big cut, nobody has so far and nobody has to...hyman has the defense offense combo to play on any top 2 line, and hes a 1st unit PKer, that gives you 50 points and thats super useful in hockey...hoping he signs for 5m and its probably 5 years

Yeah teams with some extra room will probably throw him some good money. Only way we keep him is if he signs for less here. From a cap perspective our big 4 just has so much of the pie there isn't much to go around.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
a lot depends on how much other teams bid for hyman, and as we can see, crap happens so you gotta look after yourself and family first and get paid and we dont blame him or anyone...this is his prime 28 years of life biggest contract in his life contract, he aint taking it lightly i promise you that

every team with cap will throw 4.5mill at hyman, and imo the highest one team might bid is 5.5m over 5, it only takes one team...im sure being a local boy and starting career here he would ove be here a long time but thats a lot of money

so we looking in the 4.5-5.5 range for hyman if hes a 50 per 82 player next year, and thats highly highly doable, 55-60 is possible...pageau just got 5 and kreider just got 6.5 and jvr 7 last year, and some GMs might like hyman like player over all 3, if i was gm i easily give 5 over 5 to hyman over any of those contracts...it will come down to if we match close to it or not, cause hyman is getting his money

Last edited:

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Some team will offer him 5 a year I think, but I don't know if he cares enough about money to take it. From a rich family so he might stay on the Leafs for 4ish.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
3x7.

Yes I'm serious.

Thinking the exact same thing. Think of the Pens and the deal they gave Tanev. I actually think it gets a bit higher than 3, likely around 3.5-75. The fact is it’s still a great deal for somebody currently playing in your top 6 for the next 3 years and will likely be a very reasonable when he drops down into that third line roll and finally if he gets pushed into a forth in the final 2 years.

If progress of Mikheyev and Robertson continues then I suspect it’s Hyman and Mikheyev as your top two LW, Robertson likely jumps in the following year (2021-2022 ) as your 3LW. After his first season jumps up and our LW looks like this Mikheyev, Robertson and Hyman.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
hyman is getting 5.5m from a lot of teams next year as a ufa, hes not taking a big cut, nobody has so far and nobody has to...hyman has the defense offense combo to play on any top 2 line, and hes a 1st unit PKer, that gives you 50 points and thats super useful in hockey...hoping he signs for 5m and its probably 5 years

Hyman has never scored more than 41 points. Don’t use the well if he played a full 82 games scenario garbage. He could have just as easily broken his leg or blown out his knee again or gone on a cold spell. He will be 28 this summer and 29 when he becomes a UFA. I am not disputing he is super useful but if we offer him more term and upfront signing bonus I think we get that number down. How far down is the question. Second here he will likely be able to play with Matthews or JT for the next 3-4 years.

See my earlier post to see what I think the AAV would be on a 7 year deal. If the cap hadn’t been destroyed by COVID-19 then sure bigger dollars but with likely a flat cap this year and a marginal increase next season it will not look good for RFA and UFA unless they only care about money and teams like the Sens break the bank.

Reactions: Advanced stats

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
His dad at one point owned something like 90 GTHL AAA minor and multiple junior A teams. Despite being from an undeniably privileged background he's the player we see today, an engine that never quits, on or off the ice. There are rumours that his trade here was nicety to let Florida recoup a pick because he was going to wait and sign here anyway. He's a successful children's author.

Financially set, already successful outside of hockey, and big signs that he's playing for passion/pride more than money, and that said passion/pride is tied to the Leafs.

Not saying he's going to play for league min in some act of charity, but that there's a good chance that a middle ground could be found a long term deal that's comfortable for the Leafs and less than a player of his skillset could demand on the open market.
I tend to agree with most of this. However, on the flip side, someone with his pedigree and business background might be wired to make the best business decision. I'm sure he is well aware that the NHL is cutthroat, and there's no loyalty on both sides. You become an expendable asset very quickly.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like the ideal candidate to walk into a front office position once he’s done playing. They’ll consider that when making the deal.
Impossible to guess what it will come in as salaries are going to drop to some degree.
Pre-COIVD I would have expected him to come in around 5x5.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Going to be interesting to see what he signs for, he is a local boy with a lot of his business ties to Toronto. Maybe the MLSE will buy his Esports team for like 15mil in and wink wink deal so he can sign for like 2mil for another 5 yrs.
With Zach it won't be down to last nickel like Mitch whose family needed it. Stuey does not need anything from MLSE. In fact he could just drop his sponsorship deal by whatever Zach thinks he is short by and it would be an even steven. Da Hymans are one of Toronto's wealthiest families. No worries there. They love hokey and have devoted millions into hockey development over da years. Great people.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think rather than the term/details of his contract the more interesting aspect will be the timing. If he knows he wants to be a Leaf and they work out a deal early his background might make him feel comfortable enough financially to sit on the deal until after the expansion draft to save us an expansion protection slot.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think rather than the term/details of his contract the more interesting aspect will be the timing. If he knows he wants to be a Leaf and they work out a deal early his background might make him feel comfortable enough financially to sit on the deal until after the expansion draft to save us an expansion protection slot.

I've thought about this before, but I don't recall it happening with anybody last time, so I assume it's considered to be in poor taste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->