News Article: Hyman's next contract

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I've thought about this before, but I don't recall it happening with anybody last time, so I assume it's considered to be in poor taste.

Sharks did it with Thornton, thought there was more but can't remember off the top of my head.

Edit- Marleau would have been another if we hadn't "nabbed" him with the 3rd year

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Mirtle and Siegel: Can the Leafs find a way to keep Hyman, Andersen and Rielly? - The Athletic

Mirtle: Fair questions. That knee injury he had and the surgery also wasn’t minor. That was big.

But I think one thing we haven’t touched on is that some of the reluctance to pay Hyman around the league will be because of who he’s played with. Yes, he’s produced a lot lately, but he’s also been able to ride shotgun with some of the best young players in the league.

He has value, absolutely, and other teams recognize that, but he’s not getting Kreider-like offers. It probably helps the Leafs that he’s not viewed as a “tough,” Clarkson type, even if he’s a much better player.

It’s possible that injuries diminish Hyman into his 30s, but I look at how he rehabbed from that knee. He was reading all the medical literature and talking to doctors and talking to players who had had the same surgery and trying to build back the area stronger than it was before he had the surgery. (He had read about some NFL running backs who had managed that and made that his goal.)

That’s not exactly a normal approach. It’s possible that Hyman’s workmanlike approach to not only playing, but keeping his body in one piece could mean he’ll be effective longer than people expect.

At a minimum, I feel reasonably confident he’ll be a very useful player until 33 or 34. And, at that point, if you structure the deal right, there won’t be much money left to pay off and he can be moved.

He won’t be easy to replace, that’s for sure. The Leafs need more players who show up like he does every game. If you lose him as a UFA, there’s not going to be an easy fit at $4 million-ish who can play on one of your top two lines and kill penalties and face the other team’s best players.

Mirtle: The problem with a five-year deal is you’re looking at an even bigger cap hit. Probably more in line with that $4.7 million figure you offered up top. And with how tight their cap situation is that number makes me uncomfortable.

If Hyman can’t play in your top six for another three or four years, you’re right, it doesn’t make sense to pay up. But I believe he can. And I think the Leafs do, too.

I get that going really long term is a bit intimidating, but the other point worth making is what’s happening with Johnny Boychuk and the Islanders. Players don’t finish out these longer deals all the time, due to early retirements, health issues or side deals. That really mitigates the risk on a six-plus-year contract, in my opinion.

But, look, there’s some internal debate in the organization on this. I believe some members of the front office would be open to exploring a trade, as Hyman could have considerable value on the open market.

But I expect those who want to keep him, including the GM, will win out. As long as they can get creative on bringing that cap hit down enough for it to make sense, I think they’ll find a way to get something done.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Mirtle and Siegel: Can the Leafs find a way to keep Hyman, Andersen and Rielly? - The Athletic

Mirtle: Fair questions. That knee injury he had and the surgery also wasn’t minor. That was big.

But I think one thing we haven’t touched on is that some of the reluctance to pay Hyman around the league will be because of who he’s played with. Yes, he’s produced a lot lately, but he’s also been able to ride shotgun with some of the best young players in the league.

He has value, absolutely, and other teams recognize that, but he’s not getting Kreider-like offers. It probably helps the Leafs that he’s not viewed as a “tough,” Clarkson type, even if he’s a much better player.

It’s possible that injuries diminish Hyman into his 30s, but I look at how he rehabbed from that knee. He was reading all the medical literature and talking to doctors and talking to players who had had the same surgery and trying to build back the area stronger than it was before he had the surgery. (He had read about some NFL running backs who had managed that and made that his goal.)

That’s not exactly a normal approach. It’s possible that Hyman’s workmanlike approach to not only playing, but keeping his body in one piece could mean he’ll be effective longer than people expect.

At a minimum, I feel reasonably confident he’ll be a very useful player until 33 or 34. And, at that point, if you structure the deal right, there won’t be much money left to pay off and he can be moved.

He won’t be easy to replace, that’s for sure. The Leafs need more players who show up like he does every game. If you lose him as a UFA, there’s not going to be an easy fit at $4 million-ish who can play on one of your top two lines and kill penalties and face the other team’s best players.

Mirtle: The problem with a five-year deal is you’re looking at an even bigger cap hit. Probably more in line with that $4.7 million figure you offered up top. And with how tight their cap situation is that number makes me uncomfortable.

If Hyman can’t play in your top six for another three or four years, you’re right, it doesn’t make sense to pay up. But I believe he can. And I think the Leafs do, too.

I get that going really long term is a bit intimidating, but the other point worth making is what’s happening with Johnny Boychuk and the Islanders. Players don’t finish out these longer deals all the time, due to early retirements, health issues or side deals. That really mitigates the risk on a six-plus-year contract, in my opinion.

But, look, there’s some internal debate in the organization on this. I believe some members of the front office would be open to exploring a trade, as Hyman could have considerable value on the open market.

But I expect those who want to keep him, including the GM, will win out. As long as they can get creative on bringing that cap hit down enough for it to make sense, I think they’ll find a way to get something done.

I read that, I think it’s ok to paste portions of articles, not the whole article.
For those wanting a subscription, see Lebruns twitter link, he says Black Friday special for a $1 a month.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I hope we can keep him - he so consistently steps it up and performs in big games. Incredible compete level, and becoming increasingly effective with the puck - he’s a plus skater, has a pretty good shot, and decent hands and offensive instincts.

If he wants to maximize his salary, he can probably get $5 mil. But he’s one of the few guys who might take a hometown discount, and re-sign for more like $4 mil, with hopefully non-crazy term (4ish years).

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Hyman's transformation since his rookie season has been something to behold - he's turned into a legitimate complementary top six (arguably top line) winger. I hope we can re-sign him. That being said, I wouldn't give him more than 3.5-4m, and I think we need to be careful with term too. Players of his ilk can't usually maintain their skillset past their early 30s.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
3x7.

Yes I'm serious.

You’re not far off from what I would suggest. He will be 29 when he hits UFA. He is a great player that right now is punching above his weight class but doesn’t look out of step. Ideally he should be a 3rd line player but he can play up which has been a godsend.

I think 3.25-3.5x7 is reasonable cap hit moving forward for him and what he brings. Takes the lower AAV but locks up for 7 years. I would give him the vast majority of it up front to be more enticing too. Just a M-NTC so we have flexibility. He will be 36 at its end and I think he likely is still relevant as a player given his strong skating and at that cap hit.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I worry about his style of play and age. He;ll be 29. Have to watch the term on it. I think that Galagher contract will be terible soon enugh due to his size, stye of play and age.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Honestly I think the 7x3ish is safer than 4x4.5+. I'd want to see how many 1sts Babcock's new team is willing to offer first though.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Whatever it takes to keep the AAV down, I'm ok with.

Frontload it like crazy, huge signing bonuses, NMC, give him term. Whatever he wants. Just keep the AAV low so we can fit him under the cap.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I’d almost (I repeat almost!) would keep hyman over rielly. This coming from a reformed hyman hater after his first couple of seasons.

I just hope hyman doesn’t price himself out of the leafs range

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
4 million per year over the next 5 years. NTC attached. Very fair for both sides.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I’d almost (I repeat almost!) would keep hyman over rielly. This coming from a reformed human hater after his first couple of seasons.

I just hope hyman doesn’t price himself out of the leafs range

Both should be moved. Hyman brings an element the team needs, but apparently this organization has a deep prospect pool at wing. So need to use it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We will find out a way to keep Zach and Morgan. Guys like Kerfoot, Freddy and Holl will have to go. Freddy is done here so best to get an asset for him as this team is still 2-3 years from serious Cup contention and Freddy sucks in playoffs anywho.

Reactions: Brown Dog

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Agreed with Freddy and Holl having to go. That alone is 7 million dollars. If Rielly gets a raise from 5 to 8 million and Hyman from 2.25 to 4 million, that's an increase of 4.75 million which still allows just over 3 million for a goaltender to run a 1A -1B goaltending tandem with Campbell. Keeping Hyman and Rielly won't be difficult and something that needs to get done.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
We will find out a way to keep Zach and Morgan. Guys like Kerfoot, Freddy and Holl will have to go. Freddy is done here so best to get an asset for him as this team is still 2-3 years from serious Cup contention and Freddy sucks in playoffs anywho.

So you're riding with Campbell (who if he's the starter will want more money)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So you're riding with Campbell (who if he's the starter will want more money)
Yep Soup and Dell would be fine ... they will both help to get us to playoffs and maybe a round or 2 ... da team is still not ready to win Cups yet needs a couple seasons of runs first

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
wont be able to keep him. will need a goalie and morgan is too important. add in lehtonen being a ufa and if he is good you'll want to keep. only way you keep him is if willie is moved

I do think one of Nylander or Marner will be gone after this up-coming season. Both are fantastic players, and given the two contracts I'd honestly rather keep Nylander when you have 11+ million in Matthews and Tavares.

Reactions: axlrose87

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I do think one of Nylander or Marner will be gone after this up-coming season. Both are fantastic players, and given the two contracts I'd honestly rather keep Nylander when you have 11+ million in Matthews and Tavares.

Rinse, repeat...

Leafs would be crazy to trade Marner with his elite talent.

Reactions: qqaz

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
he said he wants to be a leaf for life and i believe him, but with his rising production, i don't see how we keep him. he's turned into more than just the grinder/puck retrieval guy on our top line
Agreed.
I love the guy but he will be hard to hang onto.
If the Hyman family is anything like the marner family, just trade him now.
Hopefully he isn’t as selfish and settles in at something reasonable and we can keep him.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Depends what happens this year and how many years he wants. Physical wingers often tail off after 30. The Leafs are stacked on the wings. If he tails off and wants 5 years plus, we may have to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad