News Article: Hyman's next contract

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Mirtle, in an article discussing Zach's value to the Leafs going forward, asks the question "Would it be that far-fetched to commit to Hyman with some serious term, in order to bring the cap hit down?" Currently, at 2.25 M/yr, Zach can be pretty much considered a bargain. After next year, what term and value would you be happy to see him remain a Leaf?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
like what?

His dad at one point owned something like 90 GTHL AAA minor and multiple junior A teams. Despite being from an undeniably privileged background he's the player we see today, an engine that never quits, on or off the ice. There are rumours that his trade here was nicety to let Florida recoup a pick because he was going to wait and sign here anyway. He's a successful children's author.

Financially set, already successful outside of hockey, and big signs that he's playing for passion/pride more than money, and that said passion/pride is tied to the Leafs.

Not saying he's going to play for league min in some act of charity, but that there's a good chance that a middle ground could be found a long term deal that's comfortable for the Leafs and less than a player of his skillset could demand on the open market.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Hymans contract comparable should be Zach Kassian's contract ! Shouldnt be too complex

I love Hyman but if he wants more than around 3.25 million a season then see you later i guess .
He's having a great year for points but lets be real hes exceeding his point production this year . Cant be paying a guy like that 4 +/- million a year who will be pretty worn down at the point that extension ends.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The Athletic shows his comparable in the 4-5 million range, and predicts a 4.3 million contract.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I want Zach Hyman to be a career Leafer.

If only we had 3 more like him.

Correct answer at the right price of course.

The problem is that the Leafs (with their wimp culture they've cultivated) have a complete and total absence of players like Hyman.

I'm sure him and his agent know he's in the driver's seat as far as negotiations go but you have to hope it's the hometown glory he's looking for.

As someone above eluded to already, he's shown he wasn't interested in playing in sunny Florida at a time when his playing options were limited.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He seems like the type of player who would be willing to work with Leafs management to get something acceptable to both parties so he can remain in Toronto

If the cap remains 81,5M and he wants every dollar possible he's going to end up somewhere else and I don't think either side wants that

I wouldn't be shocked if he took something around 3-3.5M with some term and trade protection, his book career, financial situation and how beloved he is within the fan base are going to influence his decision making process imo

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Love the player. Exactly what the Leafs need more of but I don't see it happening.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Hyman seems to have his head on straight, he knows his stats wouldn't be close to what they are if he wasn't playing with superstars every night. He'll take a lower AAV for term. I'm guessing 6 years, 3.75M.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Leafs need to be careful with this one. Hyman will be 29 at the end of this current contract. Undoubtedly he brings a lot of compete, grit, leadership, and work ethic but I'm nervous to think what his on ice play will look like when he loses a step. His puck skills won't get any better either, and they are not that great to begin with.

I love the guy and what he brings but I'd be extremely hesitant to hitch my wagon to him long-term.

If you can get him on a 4 year deal around $4-$4.5 mill AAV, I think the Leafs do well here. If it's a term longer than 5 years I think they lose this deal.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
3-3.5 for 4 years is what the leafs should offer. It will suck if it doesn’t work out, but paying him anymore is not going to be beneficial

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hyman is getting 5.5m from a lot of teams next year as a ufa, hes not taking a big cut, nobody has so far and nobody has to...hyman has the defense offense combo to play on any top 2 line, and hes a 1st unit PKer, that gives you 50 points and thats super useful in hockey...hoping he signs for 5m and its probably 5 years

Reactions: BrainyBomber

OptimusReim

Jul 13, 2011
What we should pay him? 4M AAV over 5 years
What Dubas will be worked for? 5 AAV over 3 years

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Correct answer at the right price of course.

The problem is that the Leafs (with their wimp culture they've cultivated) have a complete and total absence of players like Hyman.

I'm sure him and his agent know he's in the driver's seat as far as negotiations go but you have to hope it's the hometown glory he's looking for.

As someone above eluded to already, he's shown he wasn't interested in playing in sunny Florida at a time when his playing options were limited.

Have to wonder if his Esports business benefits from his Toronto exposure and that plays a role somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad