Hyman appreciation thread, the guy is playing a foot taller of late

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
On of the biggest pluses with Babcock being canned, we can now look at players on their own merit, rather than obscured by coaching debates. Hyman isn’t anyone’s “son”, he’s a legit top nine forward who plays a very useful role on a scoring line. Hyman deserves every second he gets.
That whole "Babcock's son" debacle was the stupidest thing. All those posts were pathetic and empty.
I never understood how people cannot see that name calling just makes their argument appear weak. Even if it is a valid point, which in the case of Hyman it wasn't, name calling makes the point seem weaker.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That whole "Babcock's son" debacle was the stupidest thing. All those posts were pathetic and empty.
I never understood how people cannot see that name calling just makes their argument appear weak. Even if it is a valid point, which in the case of Hyman it wasn't, name calling makes the point seem weaker.
It was particularly funny last year when he was on a top 5 line in the entire league and still being criticized. What more could you possibly ask for? Then the hilarity of reading he should be reunited with Matthews when his line was struggling, we had come full circle.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It was particularly funny last year when he was on a top 5 line in the entire league and still being criticized. What more could you possibly ask for? Then the hilarity of reading he should be reunited with Matthews when his line was struggling, we had come full circle.
It is nice to go through his appreciation thread and not have to read silly crap.
I also have noted that when Matthew's and Marner have been put out there, posters also overlook who Keefe plays with them, Hyman. Hmmm

Reactions: DarkKnight

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs overall recent play and the return of Zach Hyman are no coincidence.

His compete engine drives the Leafs to work harder and as a result of elevating others around him the results are being seen on the scoreboard and in the win column.

Reactions: danny90

danny90

Nov 27, 2019

I think the main issue people had was how high his ice time was relative to more talented players during stretches where we had to score.

Seems like whenever we had an extra attacker he'd fly over the boards skate to the puck and fall down or try a weak wrap around.

His hands look way better this season though!

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Babcock's legacy with the Leafs is Hyman. He might be the one player who Babcock saw something in that the majority of us didn't at first.

Hyman is a guy who I thought was overpaid at 2.2M on a 4 year deal. Now I wish it was a longer term. He's one of my favorite players.

Always brings it every night. Smile on his face. Ready to forecheck like a beast. Block shots. Physical when the need arises.

Now he's also got a backhander like Sundin haha.

I think Babcock's legacy with the leafs is player development. Maybe it is the system in general but Babcock's tenure was the first time I recall the leafs system graduating so many players that were successful transitioning to the NHL. From the high picks to guys like KK, Hyman, AJ, to guys like Kadri, and Reilly looking improved. People always had fodder for debate with his deployment and management, but the players seemed to succeed under him.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think the main issue people had was how high his ice time was relative to more talented players during stretches where we had to score.

Seems like whenever we had an extra attacker he'd fly over the boards skate to the puck and fall down or try a weak wrap around.

His hands look way better this season though!
Why not throw him over the boards then? First he will cause chaos which creates chances and 2nd it rests a skill player to come out for the pp if no goal results.

As for his hands, they have been getting steadily better as time has passed and imo they were never as bad as posters felt. Imo natural progression and development is why.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The Leafs overall recent play and the return of Zach Hyman are no coincidence.

His compete engine drives the Leafs to work harder and as a result of elevating others around him the results are being seen on the scoreboard and in the win column.
Leaf fans were traditionally appreciative of blue collar work ethic on the ice. It is why so many of us grew up believing we could be stars of a game when playing it, regardless of our relative genetic gifts. Advanced stats have only muted the heroic moments of journeymen by averaging their greatest achievements with their complete body of work. We look more to "giftedness" as something to cheer for rather than the true measure of greatness...the application of sheer will when it counts. This isnt real life folks. All studies of real success in anything has only one common factor....not talent, not skill not luck...it is perseverance and will. The very thing that stats will never do is look at the victories and credit who was among the responsible party. It runs contrary to the need for sample sizes. We can attempt to apply the laws of physics to predict future success but will has not been adequately quantified person to person and remains the biggest gap in predicting outcomes. Zack Hyman is a guy who can make a difference because of his unquantifyable will. People only need to get their nose out of the stats sheet and watch the game to really see it.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
There are very few players that are around 30 and NOT stars that I would give a 5-6yr deal to...but he is one of them. He is pretty much always the best conditioned player in training camp and as he ages you can drop him down the line-up and still be an effective player. Question is...how much could he get from other teams and what would he sign for here? If it was in the $3.8-4.1M for 5-6yrs...I would do it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Leaf fans were traditionally appreciative of blue collar work ethic on the ice. It is why so many of us grew up believing we could be stars of a game when playing it, regardless of our relative genetic gifts. Advanced stats have only muted the heroic moments of journeymen by averaging their greatest achievements with their complete body of work. We look more to "giftedness" as something to cheer for rather than the true measure of greatness...the application of sheer will when it counts. This isnt real life folks. All studies of real success in anything has only one common factor....not talent, not skill not luck...it is perseverance and will. The very thing that stats will never do is look at the victories and credit who was among the responsible party. It runs contrary to the need for sample sizes. We can attempt to apply the laws of physics to predict future success but will has not been adequately quantified person to person and remains the biggest gap in predicting outcomes. Zack Hyman is a guy who can make a difference because of his unquantifyable will. People only need to get their nose out of the stats sheet and watch the game to really see it.
giphy.gif

AND
giphy.gif

Well put. Introspective and concise.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

To be the best in the world, you need it all. If you aren't that talented, a talented person will match your work ethic.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That goal Marner scored off the face off is the perfect example, there is no advanced stat to measure that will, in that circumstance. It is just a goal stats wise, but I can only think of one other player on the team capable of willing that play. Hyman. That’s why advanced stats are a tool and not the toolbox, helpful but never whole.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That goal Marner scored off the face off is the perfect example, there is no advanced stat to measure that will, in that circumstance. It is just a goal stats wise, but I can only think of one other player on the team capable of willing that play. Hyman. That’s why advanced stats are a tool and not the toolbox, helpful but never whole.
One of the reasons Gilmour is an universal all time leafs nation favorite: heart, compete, skill and more heart

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hyman won me over in the 2018 playoffs, and his value became clear when he missed all those games this season. He's a glue guy who does a lot for this team and gets better every year. Hope we can keep him around after next season.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
To be the best in the world, you need it all. If you aren't that talented, a talented person will match your work ethic.
Not true. I've witnessed a lit of successful people in my years. I've seen average intelligence people will their way into med school as an example. I've seen average engineering students drive their creative passions into building hugely successful businesses. I've seen a small player drafted 7th overall to become captain of the leafs and a HOF recipient. Will matters most of all.
Greatness gets defined in moments. The immaculate reception in 1972 comes to mind (I was lucky enough to see Franco get his hall of fame ring in 3 rivers stadium years afterwards)

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
There are very few players that are around 30 and NOT stars that I would give a 5-6yr deal to...but he is one of them. He is pretty much always the best conditioned player in training camp and as he ages you can drop him down the line-up and still be an effective player. Question is...how much could he get from other teams and what would he sign for here? If it was in the $3.8-4.1M for 5-6yrs...I would do it.

He seems like the type of player to not do that from my perspective. Poor hands, limited IQ.. once his speed goes his biggest asset of forechecking will take a big hit. And speed is generally the thing that goes sooner.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Brandon Tanev just got 3.5 x 6 and Hyman is a better player who plays more minutes almost exclusively with star players. He'll probably get 5 AAV over 5 or 6 years.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He seems like the type of player to not do that from my perspective. Poor hands, limited IQ.. once his speed goes his biggest asset of forechecking will take a big hit. And speed is generally the thing that goes sooner.
Guys like Marleau leetch Blake would disagree with you about the speed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad