Hyman appreciation thread, the guy is playing a foot taller of late

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I've always liked his game, and he has been remarkably consistent over the years. I think the biggest difference is that when he is actually scoring, the people who only see points, and not play, think he's playing better.

Of course, that applies to a lot of players - some fans see a player's name on the scoresheet, and say he played well, and if they don't see his name, he didn't.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

RLF

May 5, 2014
There were stretches where he looked very ineffective with Matthews. If he's playing with players like Marner/Tavares, that line can still produce even if he's not having an great night. Yes, there were definitely times Matthews line was struggling and Hyman wasn't helping and people got annoyed because Babcock's only idea was switching Nylander with Brown.

I would have had no problem with him trying someone other than Hyman on that line when they struggled (which wasn't often). The issue is that people always blame Hyman when the stars on his line struggle. Why is Matthews struggling now? When Hyman missed 8 games with injury, Marner was held pointless 4 times. Not saying Hyman is responsible for Marner's production, he will produce with or without Hyman, but people always saying Hyman is the cause of a line slumping is just false. Stars struggle sometimes, it's not always the "lesser" talent on the lines fault.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hyman just needs to spend an hour a day with Mitch showing him how to handle the puck in tight. If he had trained hands, he would be really good.

RLF

May 5, 2014
You never have to worry about Hyman showing up. He brings it every game. Against Boston in the playoffs he was awesome as well.

He is one of our best playoff point producers. His games is well suited for the playoffs when the checking gets tighter and you have to battle your way through.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
You must be British. Here the term is "giving the finger". Only one - the middle finger.

Had to explain that to a scouse friend a few years ago. He couldn't understand why other drivers were giving him funny looks when he gave them two.

I am indeed.

We do give people the finger too. 'Flip them off' - But I think that's used in NA too?

horner

May 22, 2007
Hyman just needs to spend an hour a day with Mitch showing him how to handle the puck in tight. If he had trained hands, he would be really good.
Keep going to the net learn how to be very good at deflection s.
Bother the goaltender.
There was a player from detroit that was grt at that .

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I would have had no problem with him trying someone other than Hyman on that line when they struggled (which wasn't often). The issue is that people always blame Hyman when the stars on his line struggle. Why is Matthews struggling now? When Hyman missed 8 games with injury, Marner was held pointless 4 times. Not saying Hyman is responsible for Marner's production, he will produce with or without Hyman, but people always saying Hyman is the cause of a line slumping is just false. Stars struggle sometimes, it's not always the "lesser" talent on the lines fault.

If someone gets on this fan base's bad side, they'll always be blamed for everything. That's just how Leafs fans are. I don't always think it's useful to point to a single player as the reason a line is struggling but if a line with our star players is struggling and Hyman is doing nothing to help he should be moved around. When Babcock refused to move Hyman for two straight seasons regardless of how good or bad the line looked, it got on some people's nerves.

RLF

May 5, 2014
If someone gets on this fan base's bad side, they'll always be blamed for everything. That's just how Leafs fans are. I don't always think it's useful to point to a single player as the reason a line is struggling but if a line with our star players is struggling and Hyman is doing nothing to help he should be moved around. When Babcock refused to move Hyman for two straight seasons regardless of how good or bad the line looked, it got on some people's nerves.

I would say it was on many's nerves regardless of struggles. Not sure how many times I read "Brown would be obviously better" whether they struggled or not. Don't hear much of that now. I think it is more of the "need to stack the lines" or "he really is a 3rd/4th liner". Rarely do teams have 3 true first liners, 3 true 2nd liners, 3 true 3rd liners etc. We should be happy the guy can play up and down the line up allowing us to have 3 potent lines.imo

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
This is by miles my biggest concern (my only concern really), I'm worried we're just too soft as a team and we're anything but relentless. If we're to have success we need more guys to start playing for keeps. We added Muzzin, that helps. Hyman plays a playoff hockey type game and Kadri is not the type to be intimidated ever but after that, it thins out pretty quickly. People say we're easy to play against and as much as I hate to say it, I think they may be right. Hyman's awesome though!
Your concerns are not displaced.
We're WAY too soft.
Tons of talent.
Very little toughness.
Big issue come playoff time.
Wonder Boy doesn't seem to agree.
Hope we're wrong.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
He has carved out an effective role here as a workhorse on a line with top players. I really appreciate his work ethic, but his skill level still leaves something to be desired for me for the most part. He has put together a nice little run here though, which is nice to see.

An interesting thing with Zach is that if he was "properly slotted," I feel that he would be a guy that many people would be trying to trade to save a bit of money. He would probably have a tough time putting up 30PTS with Kadri, and a much harder time with that on the fourth line.

Reactions: illusory

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I think this requires a bump. We're going to need four rolling lines in the playoffs, he's certainly raised his game. Two goals tonight against the Flames and not even half way through the second.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Good player.

Really improved his game since I've watched him. He's gone from playing in the peripheral to going hard to the net with reckless abandon. Precisely what we need if we want to roll four dangerous lines.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hyman is pretty good. Always looking to get better. Probably broke into this league with a worse skill set than Connor Brown, but got more tenacious, got heavier, got a better nose for the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->