Hyman appreciation thread, the guy is playing a foot taller of late

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I have so much love for the guy.

Love that he's sticking two fingers up to the people who are desperate to slate him at very opportunity too.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
1. When the team is tired, he seems to be the few of em to keep his wheels strong and win puck battles.

2. Gets in peoples faces, and so far has won every fight scrum hes been in.

3. Has a playoff motor. Which is a huge Qiesrion mark. For most if this team sadly.

4. One of the few players to make 99.9% of his haters eat crow on HFBoards. Myself included.

Props to Hyman!

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
The same guys praising him in this thread are probably the same ones bashing him a week ago. Just like the same ones praising Matthews 2 games ago are the same ones bashing him now. It's really amazing to watch.

RLF

May 5, 2014
8 pts in the last 10 games. Sticks up for Marner...not by just yapping at the guy or giving the guy a shove, actually drops the gloves. On pace for another 40+pt season with no PP time. Kills penalties. Plays a physical game. Does it all for $2.25M per. We hear about the bargain Rielly, Kadri is at their contracts or even those who say Willy is a bargain at $7M(7pts in last 10 games). No one talks about Hyman and the value he is at $2.25M per. By no means am I saying he has the talent of those other guys, but at $2.25M, he brings a lot.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's not only producing, but he's playing physical and relentless on the puck.

We are going to need this in the playoffs, we don't have enough of it.

This is by miles my biggest concern (my only concern really), I'm worried we're just too soft as a team and we're anything but relentless. If we're to have success we need more guys to start playing for keeps. We added Muzzin, that helps. Hyman plays a playoff hockey type game and Kadri is not the type to be intimidated ever but after that, it thins out pretty quickly. People say we're easy to play against and as much as I hate to say it, I think they may be right. Hyman's awesome though!

Reactions: SAMCRO44

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Major ups for how Hyman is playing right now. This is one of the best stretches of hockey he's played in a Leafs uniform. He's an absolute horse along the boards per usual, but what really stands out to me is that he's been a lot more crafty with the puck on his stick. Normally the Hyman special is to carry the puck into the corners, get tied up, and then hope the puck squirts free to one of his linemates, but lately he's been carrying the puck to the half wall and then pulling up to make a deke or a pass. He's also been way more confident carrying the puck behind the net and his assist to Johnsson against the Habs was a fantastic play that I never expected him to make. He dropped the gloves to defend Mitch last night and that was freakin awesome.

I don't really expect him to keep playing this well, but I hope to hell he does. He's got such a great motor and skates so well that adding confidence with the puck to his toolbox makes him a legit top6 player.

AnomX

Oct 25, 2013
The team needs to feed off him or we're done come play-offs like many before me have mentioned. Right now... we're toast.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I think Hyman is a better fit with Marner and Tavares than he was with Matthews. It also helps that Babcock isn't throwing Brown on that line with Tavares. My complaint with Hyman has always been about where he's playing in the line up and with Babcock's inability to move him around when it's clear he's not helping the line he's on. He does seem to be playing with a bit more of an edge this year though, I'm becoming a fan.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I think Hyman is a better fit with Marner and Tavares than he was with Matthews. It also helps that Babcock isn't throwing Brown on that line with Tavares. My complaint with Hyman has always been about where he's playing in the line up and with Babcock's inability to move him around when it's clear he's not helping the line he's on. He does seem to be playing with a bit more of an edge this year though, I'm becoming a fan.

I have always questioned this line of thought. So which line has he played on that didn't produce? If he is not helping the line, wouldn't that line struggle?

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
He's not only producing, but he's playing physical and relentless on the puck.

We are going to need this in the playoffs, we don't have enough of it.
He has always Play that way most times he’s like the only one that cares on the team no hesitation to stick up for teammates you think the rest of them might learn by his example

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I have always questioned this line of thought. So which line has he played on that didn't produce? If he is not helping the line, wouldn't that line struggle?

There were stretches where he looked very ineffective with Matthews. If he's playing with players like Marner/Tavares, that line can still produce even if he's not having an great night. Yes, there were definitely times Matthews line was struggling and Hyman wasn't helping and people got annoyed because Babcock's only idea was switching Nylander with Brown.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I have so much love for the guy.

Love that he's sticking two fingers up to the people who are desperate to slate him at very opportunity too.
You must be British. Here the term is "giving the finger". Only one - the middle finger.

Had to explain that to a scouse friend a few years ago. He couldn't understand why other drivers were giving him funny looks when he gave them two.

Last edited:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
You never have to worry about Hyman showing up. He brings it every game. Against Boston in the playoffs he was awesome as well.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
This, all day every day. Constantly moaning about where he plays, while his line has almost never been the issue (everyone/every line has off games here and there)

Reactions: RLF

HalfLife

Jan 29, 2019
Toronto
The same guys praising him in this thread are probably the same ones bashing him a week ago. Just like the same ones praising Matthews 2 games ago are the same ones bashing him now. It's really amazing to watch.

Agreed. This board is more bi polar than a well known Raptors board. That says alot cause 80% of the posters on that board are bipolar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad