Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes to Match part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
As i stated in the previous thread i dont think they can truly afford to operate at such a huge loss the next 2 seasons straight and this is a smokescreen to try and get MB to offer more to make it more palatable for their fans
Get your facts straight.

It’s an offer sheet that Aho has signed. It is his next contract. There is no ”offering more”.

I’m sorry to tell you this.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
So, if the canes do finally match, will they still be able to afford to stop us from pouching Svechnicov in a couple years if we do the same thing?

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Get your facts straight.

It’s an offer sheet that Aho has signed. It is his next contract. There is no ”offering more”.

I’m sorry to tell you this.
I guess you could do a side deal but then that becomes a NHL question of will they allow it knowing they are trying to circumvent the rules. The OS should be setup to allow the teams to negotiate a different settlement if they so desire in the 7 days time.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
this is the best....did Aho not wanna pick up the phone for Canes????? lol
Agent calls no tech difficulties...Canes say call us..ooops tech difficulties..lol

More from Aho's agent Gerry Johannson: "I can assure you that Sebastian and I have been 100 percent on the same page for the last 12 months since we started the negotiations with Carolina." Said he spoke to Aho "probably 15 times yesterday and 15 times today."

Hurricanes intended on having Sebastien Aho available for the call with Tom Dundon and Don Waddell, but said technical difficulties prevented him from calling in from Finland. It will be interesting to hear his version of the events in light of Dundon's and Waddell's comments.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
We have all our 1st round picks .All you need is 4 out of 5 1st round picks in 5 years to OS someone. So, no. It's not holding anything up.

If you are going to that top tier I believe that is true, but that doesn't hold for the other tiers requiring a 1st to my understanding.
It does tie them up for a few days in any possible trade being finalized though which is about all the muscle the Canes have to flex back with right now.

I'm not here to stir up an argument though. Was just reading through and wanted to offer the thought on the ROR situation

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I guess you could do a side deal but then that becomes a NHL question of will they allow it knowing they are trying to circumvent the rules. The OS should be setup to allow the teams to negotiate a different settlement if they so desire in the 7 days time.
Nhl should do this. The mlb you can.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
As I just asked on the Trade board, does anyone know what happens if CAR defaults on the first bonus payment?
Probably they get sued for breach of contract or something. Won't nullify the contract or make our offer stand again.

At least that's what I think.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
It’s a signed contract - just like any other. You can’t just negotiate to be different in the middle of it.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal

More from Aho's agent Gerry Johannson: "I can assure you that Sebastian and I have been 100 percent on the same page for the last 12 months since we started the negotiations with Carolina." Said he spoke to Aho "probably 15 times yesterday and 15 times today."

Hurricanes intended on having Sebastien Aho available for the call with Tom Dundon and Don Waddell, but said technical difficulties prevented him from calling in from Finland. It will be interesting to hear his version of the events in light of Dundon's and Waddell's comments.

The dude doesn't give a shit about them :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Uncle Gary

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
We have all our 1st round picks .All you need is 4 out of 5 1st round picks in 5 years to OS someone. So, no. It's not holding anything up.

it's holding up OS signings in the same $ bracket or lower--- any OS that requires a 2nd or 3rd round pick

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007

Bergevin rigged the Finnish phones so only he and Aho's agent can communicate with him :sarcasm:

I actually hope this drags out for seven days:popcorn: These are normally boring months for us until season starts.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
If you are going to that top tier I believe that is true, but that doesn't hold for the other tiers requiring a 1st to my understanding.
It does tie them up for a few days in any possible trade being finalized though which is about all the muscle the Canes have to flex back with right now.

I'm not here to stir up an argument though. Was just reading through and wanted to offer the thought on the ROR situation
I'm not a CBA expert so you might be right. Also, feel free to argue with me. As long as there's intelligence behind your argument I'm good lol

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Agent calls no tech difficulties...Canes say call us..ooops tech difficulties..lol

He picked up but they cant tell canes fans he doesnt want to be there anymore :popcorn:

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Does it really make a difference how quick it was matched? 1 day or 7, it's the same outcome.
I agree with you. But their whole PR twitter campaign combined with a small market with only logical reason in waiting is to say "wait to get back at MTL and tying their hands for other free agents" is so weird. Why would they wait till the end of the week to sign it just doesnt add up tbh. Habs knew the Canes could do it, just to evaluate the whole thing in 7 days to see if it makes sense or not. They did this announcement to make journalists, media and fans look away for a while and avoid any external pressure, and maybe come up with ways to make this contract fit and move on like it didnt even affect them but made them stronger.

You could make the case that the Habs are tied up because they had no choice but to submit their OS that they had planned out for a while so that they could use it on July 1st ASAP. If another team would've done it we wouldve lost out no matter what. Yet Aho signed with us on that day, despite the rumours of 2-3 other teams with interest. MB discussed with Duchene and other ufas. He knew who was going where and what was happening around the league for ufa agents. The window to talk to agents is like june 26-1st of july, so he's definitely been plotting this out well enough to benefit us in return/good value and so far hes gotten Aho to even sign it. He mustve decided signing Duchene wasn't as good of a chance as getting Aho to sign an offersheet and winning.

Now that I think about it though, Canes mustve known they would commit to Aho right away no matter the cost, even if it destroys them. Because to reverse that much press and announcement would be a huuuuuge deal, probably even worse then signing him. If they sign are they going to be at such a risk of losing so much money in the next two years that they will affect a potential lockout, the leagues revenue/cap situations, relocation? Maybe... Just maybe...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I tell ya one thing is for sure,...Aho is backed into a corner....

Does he back his agent who said Aho wanted to play in Montreal ? or does he back his owner who said Aho didnt want to play in MTL ?

Worth the price of admission here....

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If they’re negotiating extra assets, great.

If not and Bergevin was played into helping along the negotiation, lol.

I think they’ll match and that’ll be that. Not sure why you formally announce it and then don’t make it official, though. It’s not like we’re strapped for cash. It literally does nothing to us. I don’t think we’d be targeting other RFAs.

Except there was no negotiation with the Canes. They were willing to allow Aho to sit until September or later. They hadn't spoken in weeks. They low balled Aho then stopped negotiating. No wonder his agent went out to find a better deal. If the Canes are bargaining faithfully, I guarantee no offer sheet is extended.

Let's not forget that Aho was fine with what he signed. The Canes talking about "how easy it would be to sign the offer sheet". Really? Then why the low ball offers? Why didn't you just sign him in the first place instead of treating your best player like crap by not negotiating?

Frankly, other GMs should be happy with what happened here, because MB behaved responsibly with this contract. He didn't extend an outrageous offer that would hurt the comparables. It was fair. Something that the Canes were unwilling to do.

The signing of Meier and Aho set the market for a lot of these rfas. The Trouba contract will set it for the D-men (McAvoy, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad