Prospect Info: Hurricanes select D Jesper Sellgren #166 OA

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'll raise my hand as culprit #1 for overrating the guy. I legit thought he might play a bottom-pairing NHL role this year. From what it sounds like he hasn't been lighting up the AHL, and that guys like Max LaJoie and Jalen Chatfield were playing better than him. Not a bad flyer to take as a 6th rounder. Might be the last we'll hear about him for some time.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Figured he had a shot at being Tobias Enstrom, oh well. I bet if they traded his rights to a team who’d play him, he’d be back right quick.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Figured he had a shot at being Tobias Enstrom, oh well. I bet if they traded his rights to a team who’d play him, he’d be back right quick.
I'm sure many teams have their own Sellgren that for whatever reason struggles to make the jump or to get a chance. Maybe a bottom feeder would give him a shot but getting pummeled on the bottom pairing of a bad team every night isn't exactly great long term for your career, especially if you're not actually ready for it.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m assuming we low balled him or gave him no reason to think he’d get higher than the ahl anytime soon. Might as well make better cash in your own country while waiting for someone to offer you a shot.

Probably right.

I can see the pitch now - “here’s your qualifying 2-way offer. We have a potential slot open on our 3rd pair, you’ll have to earn it, no guarantees. Take it or leave it.” He obviously left it.

But as has been said, every team has a Sellgren. That sort of deal is likely the best he can get from any team barring him showing a lot more than he has so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad