Prospect Info: Hurricanes select D Jesper Sellgren #166 OA

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
shoutout to Sean Hill who had 44 points in only 62 games in the 99-00 season. I didn't remember him being that much of a point producer but he must've gotten a lot of assists bouncing pucks off Roberts and Battaglia. and IIRC Kovalenko was pretty good at that too although it was a year before I really became a hardcore fan of the team.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
shoutout to Sean Hill who had 44 points in only 62 games in the 99-00 season. I didn't remember him being that much of a point producer but he must've gotten a lot of assists bouncing pucks off Roberts and Battaglia. and IIRC Kovalenko was pretty good at that too although it was a year before I really became a hardcore fan of the team.
I remember Sean Hill being such a badass- looking at his season by season stats all his best years were as a hurricane; he never really even got close to the same success anywhere else (individual stats-wise... did win a cup as a rookie in Montreal).

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

sean hill had an absolute bomb of a shot in an era where the slapshot was still alive. players are so defensively aware and structured on the penalty kill that those lanes just aren't available anymore. if you had a guy like hill who could rip, very few goalies could field it cleanly and you were almost assured a few whacks at it out front. hill was underrated offensively as well. he could pretty much do it all. he had trouble finding a role elsewhere that gave him the liberty he had with carolina to shoot whenever possible. justin faulk might suffer a similar fate.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
NHL future?

without question in my opinion. the somewhat unusual route to allow him to go back to the shl was made with that in mind in my opinion. it's honestly a bit much that we have all this defensive talent that needs to play and we would be suited to perhaps trim that down somehow. bean, priskie, kaski, and sellgren could all believably be on the roster next season. a lot will depend upon what we do with edmundson as to how many of them we see. what i like about sellgren's chances above them all is his designation as a more defensive defenseman despite the recent point production. if tvr and edmundson both depart, at least one of those replacements needs to be a safer style player and that describes sellgren's game well.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
without question in my opinion. the somewhat unusual route to allow him to go back to the shl was made with that in mind in my opinion. it's honestly a bit much that we have all this defensive talent that needs to play and we would be suited to perhaps trim that down somehow. bean, priskie, kaski, and sellgren could all believably be on the roster next season. a lot will depend upon what we do with edmundson as to how many of them we see. what i like about sellgren's chances above them all is his designation as a more defensive defenseman despite the recent point production. if tvr and edmundson both depart, at least one of those replacements needs to be a safer style player and that describes sellgren's game well.

Fleury, a stay-at-home guy, will have the #5D spot to himself next season IMO. Considering this, I suspect that next season will be Jake Bean's time to shine. Priskie and Sellgren have two years of waiver exemptions after this season to marinade in Charlotte, while Kaski has one more season of waiver exemptions. For this reason, I see Bean as the #6D and the winner of the McKeown/Forsling training camp battle as the #7D in our 23-man roster next year. I see our defense next year being:

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Fleury-Bean
McKeown

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jesper Sellgren, D, Sweden

The 5-foot-11, 169-pound prospect is an under-the-radar, undersized defenseman with a lot of upside who was passed over at the NHL Draft in June. He played a poised, patient game paired with Gustav Lindstrom (Detroit Red Wings) and confidently moved the puck when pressured. Sellgren, had one assist, five shots on goal and a plus-5 rating. He has seven points (two goals, five assists) in 24 games for MODO in Allsvenskan.

"He can skate, move the puck, play with grit but he is good defensively too," Sweden coach Tomas Monten said.
"He's a Tobias Enstrom type of player."

Tobias Enstrom was a very good player for Atlanta and Winnipeg:

NHL Totals 719 Gms54G254A308Pts422Pims
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Reactions: TheKingSlayer

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Sellgren is much better than Fleury for me

Perhaps Sellgren is the answer to who should play with Pesce on the 2nd pair. It makes it a little easier to potentially have to expose Bean and/or Fleury to the expansion draft knowing that Sellgren is exempt and waiting in the wings.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Fleury, a stay-at-home guy, will have the #5D spot to himself next season IMO. Considering this, I suspect that next season will be Jake Bean's time to shine. Priskie and Sellgren have two years of waiver exemptions after this season to marinade in Charlotte, while Kaski has one more season of waiver exemptions. For this reason, I see Bean as the #6D and the winner of the McKeown/Forsling training camp battle as the #7D in our 23-man roster next year. I see our defense next year being:

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Fleury-Bean
McKeown

i wouldn't be so sure about fleury's chances of a long term future here. it's just one of those feelings for me because it seems like brind'amour doesn't exactly trust him taking a regular shift despite his improved contributions. over the past 2 seasons, he has played 50+ games and is averaging just over 12 minutes per game. that kind of usage is not a regular shifting 3rd pairing guy. you would expect him to be closer to the 15-17 range, but the fact that he's not being deployed a lot on special teams seems like an indictment. he's getting better, but at what rate remains relatively unknown because of how much he's being protected. there would be worse times to sell on fleury, but my supposition is that he would probably be one of the guys we were more keen to move on from in the near future. it wouldn't shock me at all to see him as part of a package at the deadline to improve our forward group and our interest in a "depth defenseman" seems to me to be more smoke to the concept that they don't like fleury in full time considering how much better tvr has played lately. that's another underrated talking point. he has gotten over 20 minutes of ice in 3 of the last 4 games, so he's really being leaned upon.

i'm not sure about how comfortable they would be inserting bean into the lineup of a team that has real expectations mid-season, but the first call up is his to lose. i more strongly suspect that we might trade for a veteran bottom pairing defenseman with a specialty and ship fleury back in return to a team that wants to give him a chance to get 5-10 games at least of 18 minutes or more and just take a hard look at what they have. i certainly don't see his usage this season as a reason for optimism going forward.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
One thing to remember is the Rona situation. From my understanding for instance Pulju intends to start in Finland and potentially transfer to NA when the season starts bit later than usual.

Right now the covid situation is noticeably better in Europe but that can quickly change. Also KHL isn't really an option this year. I think Sellgren playing in SHL this season is wise.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Sellgren's point production has slowed. However, he is making a case for top SHL defenseman. He is on the top pair with Stefan Elliott who has 87 NHL games to his credit.

Sellgren played 23:11 in yesterday's game. The most on Frolunda and actually the most of any player in SHL by more than a minute in the 3 games yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad