DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Last edited:

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
He'll be playing for "my" team this winter in SHL, Lulea (same as Lucas Wallmark did), I get to see just about every game and it'll be interesting to watch him play. Swedish U20 coach calls him "one of the absolute best signings in SHL this year", and he did really well in the WJC so hopes are high. If he can develop far enough to get to NHL I'm a little doubtful about though, but we'll see.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
This doesn't have to be a bad pick, just because he's overage. Just look at Lawrence Pilut, who is a defenseman with similar size and skillset as Sellgren. He didn't get drafted anytime, and was an okay defenseman in the SHL and never played in the WJC for Sweden.. But this year, at age 21/22, he exploded with 38 points in 52 games and won Defenseman of the year in the SHL and was signed by Buffalo.

And it's not just him, Joel Persson came in from the third division last year to Växjö, who won the league, and scored 34 points his first season in the SHL. And that by the age of 23. He got signed by the Oilers.

I'm not saying Sellgren will be just like these guys, but they are similar players who got significantly better at age 21/22. Will be fun to watch Sellgren this season in Luleå, can't say I remember him so much from the WJC-team this winter.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This doesn't have to be a bad pick, just because he's overage. Just look at Lawrence Pilut, who is a defenseman with similar size and skillset as Sellgren. He didn't get drafted anytime, and was an okay defenseman in the SHL and never played in the WJC for Sweden.. But this year, at age 21/22, he exploded with 38 points in 52 games and won Defenseman of the year in the SHL and was signed by Buffalo.

And it's not just him, Joel Persson came in from the third division last year to Växjö, who won the league, and scored 34 points his first season in the SHL. And that by the age of 23. He got signed by the Oilers.

I'm not saying Sellgren will be just like these guys, but they are similar players who got significantly better at age 21/22. Will be fun to watch Sellgren this season in Luleå, can't say I remember him so much from the WJC-team this winter.

Yep, this guy was quietly one of the standouts for Sweden at the WJC. I won't be surprised if he has a big year this year or next and then comes right over to be the top LHD for Charlotte (assuming that Carrick isn't still around) and pushing for NHL ice time.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Sellgren playd his first game in the swedish national team when they playd in the 4 teams tournament i Finland and he was really good.
PS that finnish goalie Vehviläinen also playd his first game in finnish national team , 2 games 2 SO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad