Prospect Info: Hurricanes select D Jesper Sellgren #166 OA

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Nice hit from a tiny guy.
Yes, he's small but strong on the skates, good balance and lower body strength. 2nd in minutes in the current no 1 team in SHL playing a very mature game. Overall a promising guy for a 6th round pick. Of course, a big step up to NHL still but there's definitely potential as a 2nd-3rd pairing 2-way/defensive guy.

What I liked so much about that hit that I posted it here is the whole process including puck treatment afterwards. It's very typical play for him, nothing fancy but beautifully executed in its simplicity. If you wished for something extra he could've played it to center to initiate a faster attack but the team rarely play it that way, the puck is usually moved up along the boards to the blue line, to minimize risk of high danger shots.

Jagge11

Dec 13, 2018

You have a late-round steal here. Jesper Sellgren has been one of SHL's best defensmen this season. He plays 20 minutes per game and is smooth with the puck, with a fantastic first pass. He has played in all international tournaments with Tre Kronor.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
interesting to note that the shl scoring is way down compared to most other euro leagues. not a single regular has a point per game. sellgren's offensive totals, while on their face fairly unimpressive, are 2nd in the league for players U21 behind rongo's first round pick nils lundkvist. not an easy league to post points in from the defense. strong developmental year for him.

dragovici

Dec 24, 2013
in orbit
So would you call him a puck moving/defensive d-man? Seems similar to a lot of what we have currently which isn't bad.

Yes. He's got an offensive upside too though.
Luleå currently sits at #1 in the SHL and Sellgren is on the top pairing. He's on the ice for all deciding moments of the game. He seems to grow better for each game and you can tell he's playing with a lot of confidence right now. Terrific skater. Very good vision, passing and positioning.
This guy is a gem and I'll be surprised if he's not signed next season.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
interesting to note that the shl scoring is way down compared to most other euro leagues. not a single regular has a point per game. sellgren's offensive totals, while on their face fairly unimpressive, are 2nd in the league for players U21 behind rongo's first round pick nils lundkvist. not an easy league to post points in from the defense. strong developmental year for him.

To put into perspective Dahlin put up 20 pts in 41 games, and he got drafted 1st overall. Definitely a low scoring league.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Yes. He's got an offensive upside too though.
Luleå currently sits at #1 in the SHL and Sellgren is on the top pairing. He's on the ice for all deciding moments of the game. He seems to grow better for each game and you can tell he's playing with a lot of confidence right now. Terrific skater. Very good vision, passing and positioning.
This guy is a gem and I'll be surprised if he's not signed next season.
Thank you! Appreciate the info. Hard for us to get to watch the guys in SHL so we are stuck to stat watching.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Jesper Sellgren with GWG from tonight's SHL Semi final #3, with just 2 minutes left of the game (link to vid below). Really important goal to get Lulea back into the series, now at 1-2 for Frolunda. Overall, a great game throughout, solid at both ends.

He also took game #1 to OT with a late 3-3 goal. Seems like he's got what it takes when push comes to shove.
Luleå Hockey - Frölunda HC 2-1

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
bart finger is the worst of them imo

I disagree, Bort Finger is worse

f3cd8572-1590-43fa-8cc1-d43792b0c20d.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Never. An Euro boy drafted at age of 20 will have the exclusive right of negotiation for his services retained by the club through and including the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, after which he is draft-related UFA.

It was a joke CBA boy. :sarcasm: And @RodTheBawd complains about me being too literal.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It was a joke CBA boy. :sarcasm: And @RodTheBawd complains about me being too literal.
I pondered on adding "he signs with Rangers June 2nd next year" myself, but decided to just play my straight man role and let someone pick up on the "draft-related UFA".

Another Finn with pass first attitude, same result as always.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
For those of you who like to do comparisons--what player would be Sellgren's ceiling? Nutivaara? Brodin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad