Hurricanes Lounge XXXII: wait, but why?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Tangentially on the topic of plunderphonics, I was mightily amused in the store yesterday over the Christmas tunes they were playing... an off-tone version of a song that was very recognizable as the one with jingling bells and fun to ride, but with just enough departure from the notes in the original composition to avoid having to pay money to any huge multinational record conglomerlate over playing it to the shopping audiences.

Akin to this Phil Collins-y excerpt of music:

edit: pastiche, apparently, it is called. I still maintain the store did it for copyright (reimbursement) reasons.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Can this year suck any worse?

Yup...

This was the hardest thing I have ever had to type.

laugh3.gif

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
The hills are alive with tons of Christmas tree seekers.

Soaking in the Parkway access as long as it lasts. Snow is in the forecast. Had to have an encore Apple Butter Margarita at Old Hampton before it is replaced with Buttered Rum concoctions and the like. They had live music today. Heard a fab rendition of Sweet Melissa.

We're FINALLY coming back to town this week. Haven't been since February, which feels like an eternity for us. Very much looking forward to the forecast. Probably going to try out Old Hampton, for the first time.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
We're FINALLY coming back to town this week. Haven't been since February, which feels like an eternity for us. Very much looking forward to the forecast. Probably going to try out Old Hampton, for the first time.
Enjoy! The fried okra appetizer is so good. There’s a chill in the air but still nice out when in the sun and moving about.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Some guy got probation for assault. The guy was planning to assault Lil Mosey and live video it when he had a gig in Helsinki (the guy had boasted about it beforehand), but instead the guy assaulted someone who was pretending to be Lil Mosey for their own social media video purposes.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My avatar and sig say it all. Walter Williams is one of my all time heroes and had a profound effect on how I view the world. The only solace in his passing is that he has finally been reunited with his beloved wife Connie.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Hey @Socks it's been a bit. I'd have a hard time living up north again...the south has softened me too much to the winters.

Hard to give up 70f Thanksgiving and Christmas.
No kidding. I’ve only been here 4 years and I’m done with cold. If I can just bundle up in a blanket that’s fine but that’s not exactly reasonable at work.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
My avatar and sig say it all. Walter Williams is one of my all time heroes and had a profound effect on how I view the world. The only solace in his passing is that he has finally been reunited with his beloved wife Connie.

Interesting fact about Mr. Williams, one of his cousins is none other than Dr. J

RIP

Reactions: DaveG and sabremike

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hey @Socks it's been a bit. I'd have a hard time living up north again...the south has softened me too much to the winters.

Hard to give up 70f Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Yep. We still have a farm up north (don’t go to it in winter) and both my wife’s family (East Coast) and my family (northern mid-west) live up north, but no way I could spend winter up there again.

We visited my family 2 years ago in early February. Got stuck in Chicago because of a snow storm, had to rent a car and drive ~5 hours in the storm, it was -5F the next morning, and never got above 16F the entire time. Not doing that again unless entirely necessary.

I actually had to go out and buy boots and winter outerwear just for the trip and they have been stored away ever since.

EDIT: Summers up north are glorious though

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Yep. We still have a farm up north (don’t go to it in winter) and both my wife’s family (East Coast) and my family (northern mid-west) live up north, but no way I could spend winter up there again.

We visited my family 2 years ago in early February. Got stuck in Chicago because of a snow storm, had to rent a car and drive ~5 hours in the storm, it was -5F the next morning, and never got above 16F the entire time. Not doing that again unless entirely necessary.

I actually had to go out and buy boots and winter outerwear just for the trip and they have been stored away ever since.

EDIT: Summers up north are glorious though
Now we know why birds go up north for the summer, and fly south for the winter! They're smart. I'd love to have 2-3 homes I could rotate around for the best seasonal weather possible. It always blows my mind when we're having spring blooms and 75F weather my friend in Colorado is like "yup, it's snowing again"

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Frank Stasio bid WUNC goodbye today on "The State of Things." Such a treasure will be missed.

And, WUNC announced that they're cancelling the show altogether. Loved the coverage of topics from across the state.

This year really continues to disappoint.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Now we know why birds go up north for the summer, and fly south for the winter! They're smart. I'd love to have 2-3 homes I could rotate around for the best seasonal weather possible. It always blows my mind when we're having spring blooms and 75F weather my friend in Colorado is like "yup, it's snowing again"
On the topic of birds' migration, I was very surprised to learn in the corovir threaf from @MrazeksVengeance that there's no eagles in Czech Republic.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
On the topic of birds' migration, I was very surprised to learn in the corovir threaf from @MrazeksVengeance that there's no eagles in Czech Republic.
I expect this to be a setup to some joke, but just in case - we got eagles just not many.

Some of them are males despite the lack of the classic good old wiener.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I expect this to be a setup to some joke, but just in case - we got eagles just not many.

Some of them are males despite the lack of the classic good old wiener.

Curiously no, it was legit bewildement over this very curious map (Golden Eagle). But apparently the map is not perfectly accurate.

640px-AquilaChrysaetosIUCNver2018_2.png

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad