Hurricanes Lounge XXXII: wait, but why?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
@Unsustainable wrote in the last thread:

5g will replace dsl. Direct Wireless will be replacing a lot of stuff. You will either get fiber to the house or direct wireless.

That's true, but that's just scratching the surface of the capabilities of 5G (if they deliver as promised).

I think most people look at 5G and say "cool, my phone and internet is going to be faster", and that's right, but this has the potential to be so much more.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
@Unsustainable wrote in the last thread:

5g will replace dsl. Direct Wireless will be replacing a lot of stuff. You will either get fiber to the house or direct wireless.

That's true, but that's just scratching the surface of the capabilities of 5G (if they deliver as promised).

I think most people look at 5G and say "cool, my phone and internet is going to be faster", and that's right, but this has the potential to be so much more.

Don't forget who I work for, its where we are pushing everything to

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Don't forget who I work for, its where we are pushing everything to

Yep, I recognize who you work for and where you guys are pushing everything to. I wasn't aiming my comment specifically at you (just quoted you for continuation on the discussion). For those that aren't as familiar with it, they may not recognize how truly transformational 5G could become if it delivers and what types of things will be possible over time in terms of edge computing.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yep, I recognize who you work for and where you guys are pushing everything to. I wasn't aiming my comment specifically at you (just quoted you for continuation on the discussion). For those that aren't as familiar with it, they may not recognize how truly transformational 5G could become if it delivers and what types of things will be possible over time in terms of edge computing.

Didn't know if you remembered or not.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
How long before the above is realized - as in widespread availability?

I ask because I have been forever searching for a cabin/getaway spot but the lack of fully functioning internet or even a phone with regular connectivity has waylaid me. Half the places I visit in mnts have sketchy service or so many dead zones today still. Or a roadside sign advertising Billy Bob's High Speed internet. No decent service feels a little too Deliverance like for me.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

I ask because I have been forever searching for a cabin/getaway spot but the lack of fully functioning internet or even a phone with regular connectivity has waylaid me. Half the places I visit in mnts have sketchy service or so many dead zones today still. Or a roadside sign advertising Billy Bob's High Speed internet. No decent service feels a little too Deliverance like for me.

@Unsustainable can probably talk to it more precisely, but I've read full roll-out won't be for a while. Major metropolitan areas will see it this year and next, but full roll-out to all areas could be 5 years.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
@Unsustainable can probably talk to it more precisely, but I've read full roll-out won't be for a while. Major metropolitan areas will see it this year and next, but full roll-out to all areas could be 5 years.

The other year, I was told by a RAN engineer, it would take around 1500 more cell towers to have 100% coverage for NC.

Not sure of the full time table.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No decent service feels a little too Deliverance like for me.
Like you're desperately trying to set up an external antenna but still your cell gets next to no reception?

kingdom-come-deliverance.jpg

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

My understanding is that you need more towers for 5G at closer intervals than current cellular networks now have. If true, I’d guess that you will likely not see 5G as a solution for rural areas like the Mtns.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My understanding is that you need more towers for 5G at closer intervals than current cellular networks now have. If true, I’d guess that you will likely not see 5G as a solution for rural areas like the Mtns.

That's "kinda" true. 5G is different than 4G in a few ways (not just speed, latency and bandwidth).

This is my understanding on how it works, which may not be exactly correct, but should be close.
[NERD MODE]
5G has more options in terms of frequency compared to 4G. It can use high-band, short-range frequencies that didn't work with 4G, but really, 5G can run on any frequency which is one of the advantages, so we'll see different applications running low, middle and high depending on needs. If using the low and mid-range frequencies, 5G shouldn't need a lot more towers. Even the low-band should be faster than 4G, but not substantially and it depends on where you are.

I believe that with 5G, the carriers will use this low band frequency to reach rural areas that 4G couldn't reach before and still have decent performance. So in that application, it will help in the mountains and other rural areas. I've read that 1 low band 5G tower can cover "hundreds" of square miles. Maybe @Unsustainable can comment on what carriers are going after first.

The high-band frequencies are the ones that require more base stations (towers) as you mentioned above, but a lot of them really aren't towers. The range is just too short when using that band. We will see some massive MIMO towers down the road, but I suspect that carriers will piggy back those on existing towers (pure guess on my part). The "more" part you mention is that there will be a lot of small base/cell stations that are smaller, cheaper and use less power than the traditional cell tower. They can be put on buildings, roofs, telephone poles, etc.. I've read they are about the size of a pizza box. That's 1 reason why deployment is so focused on big cities right now, because they can slap all these base stations pretty much anywhere.

So IF things go as planned, you'll probably see more coverage in rural areas, but it won't be much (if any) faster than 4G. For the very fast applications it will have to be a more urban environment until other invention occurs on the towers/antenna.
[/NERD MODE]

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Phoebe Bridgers opening up for Nathaniel Rateliff and the night sweats at red rocks, apparently live tonight. Visiblexredrocks.com

Red Rocks Unpaused

between sets right now, apparently Nate is on in 30. Pretty sweet idea. Phoebe’s stage was actually in the middle of the “crowd” so her background was the rocks along the side.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Also, our head of the Senate visited Taiwan and made PRC mad. They thought that just because our president is a rectal climber we all like them. We don't. (Talking about PRC as an oppressive political entity, it has nothing to do with ethnicity or race.)

Reactions: sabremike and DaveG

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Is this some Czech saying that I'm not getting, or is it a covert way of saying that he's gay?
I think he's going for kiss-ass or brown-nosing here.
Chrispy is correct. Rectal/anal climbing/alpinism has nothing to do with sexuality. It's when you are willing to please someone so hard you'd climb up their arse.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So last five minutes: there I am, at work, in my booth, on the comp reading HFBoards, stopping only so short of having my feet on the table.

My supervisor steps in, wants so go through with me my hourly wages' personal percentage assessment (a yearly business). My assessment continues to be good.

He goes away, I turn back to HF. Within a minute, the production line does a hiccup. The guy in the next booth and I save the situation which with some other guys would have been a four figured economic damage for the employer.

I like my job, not least for the no-nonsense work culture we got here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->