Hurricanes Lounge XXXII: wait, but why?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So on a random note, I ordered some blue light lenses recently to deal with the migraine issues at work. Early returns are extremely favorable, the only weird thing about them is that almost everything has a blueish tint for a bit until my eyes re-adjust after taking them back off.

I'll be curious to see how they do for me at a Canes game next season since the lighting at the games typically plays games with me every so often.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I was thinking it's the perfect name for a punk band (@MrazeksVengeance can give us all the story on how the Velvet Underground eventually lead to the fall of communism in Czechoslovakia).
Not my story to tell. I wasn’t born yet.

But yeah most of the people involved at the top of the revolution were commiting the cardinal sin known as art.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Happy Labor Day, y’all!

gotta love boat service ...Lake Lure

Attachments

• A6DE7D65-EBB7-47CB-8453-C33075C7381D.jpeg
    A6DE7D65-EBB7-47CB-8453-C33075C7381D.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 5

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Does anyone have any news subscriptions they would recommend?

Been thinking about getting a subscription to The Atlantic or The Economist just not sure if it’s worth it. Maybe a daily like NYT or WaPo would be better.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, The Economist is overwhelming if you try to read the entire thing every week. It would take me 4-6 hours to read an entire issue cover to cover, so I had to decide which sections matter most to me: briefing, US, international, business, finance & economics, and science, as well as some of the special reports. I skim the other sections (mostly other parts of the world) if I have time. Still takes 2-3 hours to get through everything I'd like. The finance & economics section gets kind of dense, so it helps to have a background in it.

The Atlantic is good too, I just didn't have time for it so I didn't renew. If I had more time, I'd get it again, but probably online only because it seems like there's a lot of decent content that doesn't make it to print.

I try to keep up with the Wall Street Journal too, but it's definitely not what it was under the Bancroft family (i.e., before News Corp). The business and finance content isn't half as meaty as it used to be, and there's much more of a focus on general US and world news. It's just barely good enough to keep me from cancelling, but I probably wouldn't miss it if I did. Also, don't waste your time reading the comments section. It invariably devolves into a pro-Trump vs. anti-Trump pissing match.

Last edited:

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, The Economist is overwhelming if you try to read the entire thing every week. It would take me 4-6 hours to read an entire issue cover to cover, so I had to decide which sections matter most to me: briefing, US, international, business, finance & economics, and science, as well as some of the special reports. I skim the other sections (mostly other parts of the world) if I have time. Still takes 2-3 hours to get through everything I'd like. The finance & economics section gets kind of dense, so it helps to have a background in it.

The Atlantic is good too, I just didn't have time for it so I didn't renew. If I had more time, I'd get it again, but probably online only because it seems like there's a lot of decent content that doesn't make it to print.

I try to keep up with the Wall Street Journal too, but it's definitely not what it was under the Bancroft family (i.e., before News Corp). The business and finance content isn't half as meaty as it used to be, and there's much more of a focus on general US and world news. It's just barely good enough to keep me from cancelling, but I probably wouldn't miss it if I did. Also, don't waste your time reading the comments section. It invariably devolves into a pro-Trump vs. anti-Trump pissing match.

Thanks for the response!

I’m taking a break from social media. Facebook is Facebook and I’ve lost a lot of respect for a lot of people I would’ve previously called friends over the last few months. I like reddit but the comments sections there are just as bad; they’re either echo chambers or just all out wars.

I’m trying to find a few reputable sources I can follow to stay up to date without the drama. The Atlantic is only $5/month for the digital version which I’m leaning towards because most of the articles look of interest to me. That in combo with free versions of the major dailies would probably work out fine.

I definitely wouldn’t read all of The Economist so wasn’t sure if I could still justify $16/month. They have a daily newsletter called Economist Espresso that’s $4/month where you get 7 or 8 articles but honestly I probably wouldn’t read most of them.

Why is WSJ so expensive?! Even their sale prices are $20+/month. I don’t work in finance and my interests in business/economics are mostly at the macro level so probably wouldn’t be worth it to me. I wish they would offer their daily “10 points” newsletter as a standalone.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I’m trying to find a few reputable sources I can follow to stay up to date without the drama.
They say: if you can only afford to subscribe one newspaper, subscribe that of your political opponent. You already know what your side thinks.

Yes, I understand that saying that I am not being helpful here would be an understatement.

Reactions: sabremike

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
But on the average, it's ok.
Reminds me of a joke.

A doctor, a lawyer, and a statistician go deer hunting. After several hours they find a suitable buck. The doctor aims and misses ten yards to the right. The lawyer aims and misses ten yards to the left.

The statistician starts jumping up and down in celebration, shouting "We got him!"

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Thanks for the response!

I’m taking a break from social media. Facebook is Facebook and I’ve lost a lot of respect for a lot of people I would’ve previously called friends over the last few months. I like reddit but the comments sections there are just as bad; they’re either echo chambers or just all out wars.

I’m trying to find a few reputable sources I can follow to stay up to date without the drama. The Atlantic is only $5/month for the digital version which I’m leaning towards because most of the articles look of interest to me. That in combo with free versions of the major dailies would probably work out fine.

I definitely wouldn’t read all of The Economist so wasn’t sure if I could still justify $16/month. They have a daily newsletter called Economist Espresso that’s $4/month where you get 7 or 8 articles but honestly I probably wouldn’t read most of them.

Why is WSJ so expensive?! Even their sale prices are $20+/month. I don’t work in finance and my interests in business/economics are mostly at the macro level so probably wouldn’t be worth it to me. I wish they would offer their daily “10 points” newsletter as a standalone.
Normally I don't talk about other sites on here, but every month or so, discountmags.com will run a deal where you can get a year of The Economist for about $50 in either print or digital, and I think $70ish for both. I'm on my second year of getting it that way and I'm pretty sure you can lock in that rate. I don't know if they advertise it publicly, but if you sign up for their emails they'll let you know.

Agreed on Facebook and Reddit. Social media puts us all in our own echo chambers, but to some extent, the same thing happens when you read a few publications with similar biases. I'd actually like to find something that leans a little bit right and is of similar writing quality to the well-known left-leaning outfits, just to balance things out a bit. I've poked around a couple that pop up on RealClearPolitics frequently, but haven't found one that really draws me in.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Normally I don't talk about other sites on here, but every month or so, discountmags.com will run a deal where you can get a year of The Economist for about $50 in either print or digital, and I think $70ish for both. I'm on my second year of getting it that way and I'm pretty sure you can lock in that rate. I don't know if they advertise it publicly, but if you sign up for their emails they'll let you know.

Agreed on Facebook and Reddit. Social media puts us all in our own echo chambers, but to some extent, the same thing happens when you read a few publications with similar biases. I'd actually like to find something that leans a little bit right and is of similar writing quality to the well-known left-leaning outfits, just to balance things out a bit. I've poked around a couple that pop up on RealClearPolitics frequently, but haven't found one that really draws me in.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on that but currently, the 1 year digital membership is $189.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Spent a few minutes today looking at resort webcams trying to catch a glimpse of some of it. Jealous.
We have hellacious wildfires going on right now so it’s really needed despite how shocking it is. Hopefully it puts them out, it’ll be hot by the end of the week again.

Yesterday was so smoky in denver you couldn’t see the mountains and the sun showed through it all day giving this mars/hell red glow over everything. So erie.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
A3D52A9C-637E-4CD9-9EC6-66C2049C15E5.jpeg
Thanks for the response!

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad