Hurricanes Lounge XXXII: wait, but why?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I have no idea about my kids. As for me? No, but I was part of two incidences, both in Montreal when I lived not far from there.

One, which is apparently common, is when we went to downtown Montreal for a bachelor party of a good friend. As is tradition at this one place, 2 or 3 strippers bring the prospective groom onto the stage and seductively dance around him, removing his clothes to ensure he's committed to be married (if you catch my drift). From what I've been told, usually they stop at his underwear, but when they got to that point on my buddy, he stood up, dropped his underwear and started dancing and swinging on the pole. The crowd was hooting and hollering but eventually the bouncers came out and forced him to put his clothes back on, even though they let him stay.

Second one was when I was in MTL for a formula 1 race years back with my brother in law and 3 other guys. After a day at the track, we came back to our hotel in MTL and decided to go to one of the strip joints. One thing led to another and soon enough, it was after midnight. As we were getting ready to leave, one of the guys ran and dove onto the stage, which was empty at the time and started dancing and stripping. He only got his shirt off before a huge bouncer chased him off and out the back door. We didn't see him until about 5:00 in the morning as he pounded on the door of our hotel, missing one shoe and missing his credit card.

All of these were in my much younger days more than 15-20 years ago.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I have no idea about my kids. As for me? No, but I was part of two incidences, both in Montreal when I lived not far from there.

One, which is apparently common, is when we went to downtown Montreal for a bachelor party of a good friend. As is tradition at this one place, 2 or 3 strippers bring the prospective groom onto the stage and seductively dance around him, removing his clothes to ensure he's committed to be married (if you catch my drift). From what I've been told, usually they stop at his underwear, but when they got to that point on my buddy, he stood up, dropped his underwear and started dancing and swinging on the pole. The crowd was hooting and hollering but eventually the bouncers came out and forced him to put his clothes back on, even though they let him stay.

Second one was when I was in MTL for a formula 1 race years back with my brother in law and 3 other guys. After a day at the track, we came back to our hotel in MTL and decided to go to one of the strip joints. One thing led to another and soon enough, it was after midnight. As we were getting ready to leave, one of the guys ran and dove onto the stage, which was empty at the time and started dancing and stripping. He only got his shirt off before a huge bouncer chased him off and out the back door. We didn't see him until about 5:00 in the morning as he pounded on the door of our hotel, missing one shoe and missing his credit card.

It's funny, I was at a friends Bachelor Part years ago at Bar Charlotte, and he rarely drinks but WANTED to get drunk that night. Now as it's obviously a bit of a club, girls get drunk, get up on the bar/tables and dance, nobody bats an eye. When my friend who was wasted got up there to dance though a bit later, suddenly it was a problem and the bouncers came to throw him out. We explain it being his bachelor party and he was encouraged by drunk folks around him to do it and we promised he wouldn't do it again, so they let us stay. But it did bring up an interesting double-standard when it comes to drunken behavior...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's funny, I was at a friends Bachelor Part years ago at Bar Charlotte, and he rarely drinks but WANTED to get drunk that night. Now as it's obviously a bit of a club, girls get drunk, get up on the bar/tables and dance, nobody bats an eye. When my friend who was wasted got up there to dance though a bit later, suddenly it was a problem and the bouncers came to throw him out. We explain it being his bachelor party and he was encouraged by drunk folks around him to do it and we promised he wouldn't do it again, so they let us stay. But it did bring up an interesting double-standard when it comes to drunken behavior...

I guess it depends on the bar? I rarely frequent a bar anymore, even pre-covid, (and more recently, rarely drink alcohol anymore) unless it's a place that serves food and we drop in for a bite to eat, so I don't know much about clubs/bars around Raleigh/Durham. Years back when I lived just outside of Philly, we use to frequent this bar after work north of Philly called the Bent Elbow (don't think it's open any longer). Back then, they encouraged dancing on the bars/tables and although it was mainly women, there were some men dancing with the women as well. Still probably 75% women though, probably because most men weren't confident enough in their dancing and didn't want to look like a fool.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

Well, my case was having the only mandatory subject that takes place outside of the city where my university is. Students usually sleep at the location which usually leads to going out on the first day of the three. Long story short, after getting some nice burgers and a couple of beers at different pubs, weak meat fell off and only three people remained in our drinking party, two dudes, including me, and a girl. We ended up in a street which is (in)famous for its bars and establishments of this sort, but the place was actually kinda barren because it was Monday. Either way, we proceeded in our drinking adventures, but ultimately we wanted one last beer and the only place open was a strip bar. These aren't really that popular where I am from, likely because standard prostitution is preferred, so none of us have ever been in one (or admitted so).

So we get the beer and one of the strippers noticed my genuine disinterest. I gave her a drunk, yet honest answer that nudity doesn't do that much for me for several reasons I think are unnecessary to list, let's just say that being naked is pretty OK with me in general. She said that that is easy to say when I am not at the stage and wearing clothes. What she didn't count on was that I am insane and drunk enough to get up on stage and get naked from the waist down. Upon proving my point I was told to get dressed and step down which... I have done and fortunately, none of the bouncers considered my theatrics a reason to kick me out, so I finished the beer, got back to the place, and ... was still mighty drunk (not hungover, drunk) on the next day up until 10 am. (Still got to the lessons though. Shoutout to my med friends there.)

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Love these clickbait articles sponsored on this site.

"Fastest shrinking cities in the United States: North Carolina leads the list"-photo of a girl wearing a St. Louis Cardinals jersey

"These colleges are the worst in the United States: North Carolina might be the worst"- Photo of cheerleader wearing a U of Maine uniform, have also used a Indiana University cheerleaders photo

"Cities with the worst drivers: North Carolina has the worst"- Photo of what appears to be the Rocky Mountains.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
5CldgQE_d.jpg

Saw this floating around the web. Thought it was worth sharing.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
View attachment 368298

Is this really any different than Christians saying that the "end times are near" as predicted in the Bible though (every single year for the past who knows how many years)? Eventually, in theory, anything predicted could eventually come true...everything requires trying to play the odds. The pandemic has just compounded and hyper-focused people on disaster around every corner. Combine that with a political climate that has only gotten more and more divided over the past 20 years or so and everything has become bi-polar/black-and-white, there's little middle-ground or grey area for anything these days. Overreact or underreact

Reactions: sabremike and DaveG

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Is this really any different than Christians saying that the "end times are near" as predicted in the Bible though (every single year for the past who knows how many years)? Eventually, in theory, anything predicted could eventually come true...everything requires trying to play the odds. The pandemic has just compounded and hyper-focused people on disaster around every corner. Combine that with a political climate that has only gotten more and more divided over the past 20 years or so and everything has become bi-polar/black-and-white, there's little middle-ground or grey area for anything these days. Overreact or underreact

I think the message is less about overreacting or underreacting, and more about taking steps before you need to react. They're not wrong: A pandemic like this has been suggested as a strong possibility for quite awhile. We've known about the imbalance between the lower/middle class and the upper class for the longest time. And as you mentioned, the political climate has been getting more and more volatile over the last few decades.

But what steps have been taken to prevent these issues from becoming problems? Very little. Most of the time, they're pushed off to be dealt with "down the road" and hope that by the time they require a response, it'll be for future generations to deal with.

Well, turns out we're the "future generations." We're dealing with a pandemic that we have a weak response to, we're dealing with the jobless count in the millions, the homeless increasing every day and the rich hoarding what they can.

And this upcoming election is going to be a disaster. Everyone knows this. We're all predicting it right now. And even when it's literally weeks away, are we preparing for the inevitable? Because no matter who wins, one half of the country is going to lose their ****ing minds. It's the first time I can honestly say I wouldn't be surprised at an actual coup attempt to remove whoever is elected.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Is this really any different than Christians saying that the "end times are near" as predicted in the Bible though (every single year for the past who knows how many years)?
Ummm, yes. One uses logic and evidence to try and make predictions knowing there is likely imprecision in their estimates, while the other uses 2000 year old Bedouin fairy tales and claims absolute truth despite many failures in previous predictions.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Ummm, yes. One uses logic and evidence to try and make predictions knowing there is likely imprecision in their estimates, while the other uses 2000 year old Bedouin fairy tales and claims absolute truth despite many failures in previous predictions.

It references the "Endtimes" in Matthew 24. Vs 36 specifically says, "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." That doesn't stop people from trying to predict it & that's why they come off looking foolish.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think the message is less about overreacting or underreacting, and more about taking steps before you need to react. They're not wrong: A pandemic like this has been suggested as a strong possibility for quite awhile. We've known about the imbalance between the lower/middle class and the upper class for the longest time. And as you mentioned, the political climate has been getting more and more volatile over the last few decades.

But what steps have been taken to prevent these issues from becoming problems? Very little. Most of the time, they're pushed off to be dealt with "down the road" and hope that by the time they require a response, it'll be for future generations to deal with.

Well, turns out we're the "future generations." We're dealing with a pandemic that we have a weak response to, we're dealing with the jobless count in the millions, the homeless increasing every day and the rich hoarding what they can.

And this upcoming election is going to be a disaster. Everyone knows this. We're all predicting it right now. And even when it's literally weeks away, are we preparing for the inevitable? Because no matter who wins, one half of the country is going to lose their ****ing minds. It's the first time I can honestly say I wouldn't be surprised at an actual coup attempt to remove whoever is elected.
Oh yea, no matter who wins the other group is going to call foul, rigged, unfair, etc...we're quickly reaching a political boiling point. People in general are terrible about looking at "long term", we mostly focus on ourselves here and now and what we can do because it's hard to quantify long-term, and each individual person's impact is but a blip on a global scale...which makes "group projects" that much harder, especially as the groups get bigger. It gets progressively harder to move changes from community levels to national to global. And then add on human nature towards complacency...we've had so many pandemic scares through the years that never hit us that it becomes "boy who cried wolf", you let your guard down, THAT'S when it hits you. Even when we have an idea HOW to react, the red-tape and pushback at every corner bogs everything down. No matter what you do, about 50% of people will always disagree and fight back. What WAS the proper way to respond/react to the pandemic? We saw Wuhan/Italy go into almost total lockdown, Sweden basically let it run it's course, and everything in between...I've seen 0% consensus.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K

Oh, I don't disagree in the slightest, just pointing out that even **** predictions like "Biblical prophecies" can "kinda" come true just by shear odds/chance. Even a broken clock can be right

Reactions: DaveG

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Are you taking on all of Christianity with this post? Or just the crack pots that host end times parties because Jesus spoke to them?

Reactions: DaveG

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
View attachment 368298

1) Do we know for certain Covid 19 is zoonotic and not something genetically manipulated that leaked from a lab? Somewhat of a nitpick here as it doesn't refute the suggestion that some were advocating for more pandemic readiness.

2) Do we know that 2020 has been an outlier for fires, flooding, and storms? I'm not saying it hasn't, but it would be nice to see it quantified....mean levels and standard deviation.

3) I understand there is some unease with one tribe about having one of their judges replaced by the others...but this is nothing new...the other tribe was just as worried about the same thing 4 years ago.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
1) Do we know for certain Covid 19 is zoonotic and not something genetically manipulated that leaked from a lab? Somewhat of a nitpick here as it doesn't refute the suggestion that some were advocating for more pandemic readiness.

2) Do we know that 2020 has been an outlier for fires, flooding, and storms? I'm not saying it hasn't, but it would be nice to see it quantified....mean levels and standard deviation.

3) I understand there is some unease with one tribe about having one of their judges replaced by the others...but this is nothing new...the other tribe was just as worried about the same thing 4 years ago.

1. Outside of fringe conspiracy theories this is pretty well accepted.

2. Australia had their most devastating fire in history at the beginning of the year. 6 of California's largest fires in history were burning at the same time. Over 10% of the population of Oregon had to be evacuated. For only the second time we've run out of Atlantic storm names and are using the Greek alphabet.

3. 4 years ago one side blocked confirmation hearings because it was 9 months until an election. That same side is now trying to rush through a pick with an election less than 45 days away.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Whatever else is true, this one squarely falls in the "saw it coming" bucket.

I've been telling people for years that gender reveal parties are attention seeking and unnecessary.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Pretty much what SlavinAway said.

And I’ll add to it, as far as the political realm goes, it’s definitely seemed to have gotten worse. I talked to my parents this weekend and they said it’s never been this bad. Like, politicians have always had a reputation for being shifty, lying, two-faced, etc, but in the past (in their words) “they did a better job of hiding it.”

The blatant lies and hypocrisy aren’t even being hidden anymore.

Lindsey Graham blocking Obama’s appointment in 2016:

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say 'Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination.'"

Lindsey Graham in 2018:

"If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump's term, and the primary process has started, we'll wait to the next election."

Lindsey Graham last week:

“I will support President Trump in any effort to move forward regarding the recent vacancy created by the passing of Justice Ginsburg.”

Now, it could be that it’s simply easier now to find instances of hypocritical statements due to the Internet keeping literally everything around forever, and I’m sure that definitely helps, but I also think many politicians have just stopped caring about how they come off, because they know they’re basically set for life, regardless of what they do or say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->