Hurricanes Lounge XXX: The "Will I Stay or Will I Go?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
You better feed the economy a lot of Taco Bell, then, because it will need to be a massive poop to get down to a “nice price” at this point.

Yeah, for real. When the economy tanked in 2009, it didn't affect the price of my home in North Hills a bit. All they did was stop buying ranch houses and tearing them down like hotcakes until about 2014 when all that started again.

At the end of the day, this city is a tech hub that people are flocking, and they need houses, and property values will continue to reflect that.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I just lost an online auction for a Volvo V70 by basically $1.

I wouldn't actually need it (that's why I placed such a low bid) but I'm still a bit pissed someone else got it that cheap.
Don't tell me you put a 0-ending figure in as your bid. That other guy will never probably know it, but his foresight of putting in the tie-breaking 1 euro there is what won the auction for him.

You put in figures ending in 3 from now on. The seller gets an extra candy bag, but you'll get the car.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The only wagon I want -

Every time I see a beautiful sports car with an automatic transmission....

upload_2019-8-31_9-12-17.gif

Reactions: raynman

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I owned two Volvos in my life, both station wagons. While I loved the car they were maintenance nightmares. Every time I had to put it in the shop, the bill was always some combination of $800. I put my kids through college on the money I saved from getting rid of them.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I owned two Volvos in my life, both station wagons. While I loved the car they were maintenance nightmares. Every time I had to put it in the shop, the bill was always some combination of $800. I put my kids through college on the money I saved from getting rid of them.

This seems accurate

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Amen. I had a Volvo 850 back in the late 90s. Loved the car, but too much expensive maintenance. At 60,000 miles (mostly highway) the engine started missing and there was a burnt valve on one of the cylinders. Volvo tried to tell me it was probably bad gasoline. Then I asked how did bad gasoline only impact one cylinder. Thankfully, a friend of mine was a Volvo service rep at another dealership and he got my $3500 bill down to $500. On the positive side, I sold the car with 95,000 miles on it and never had to replace the brakes. My buddy said when the 850 first came out, the brakes were too good and They weren’t getting any service $$$.

In terms of service nightmare, Volkswagen was worse. I had a Passat and the thermostat failed. Probably a $30 part. To replace it though, they had to remove the front bumper, timing belt and a bunch of other stuff to get at it. Was going to cost over $1000 to replace a bad thermostat. I got rid of the car the next week.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The thing about Volvos is, you can Madmax around in them for a decade with all kinds of supposedly serious engine problems and they just don't care, they keep going. They're like Swedish Toyotas, you're gonna have to do your damdest to blow it up, and short of blowing it up, it'll continue getting you where you need to go for the forseeable future.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The thing about Volvos is, you can Madmax around in them for a decade with all kinds of supposedly serious engine problems and they just don't care, they keep going. They're like Swedish Toyotas, you're gonna have to do your damdest to blow it up, and short of blowing it up, it'll continue getting you where you need to go for the forseeable future.
Yeah I'm having the same thing going on with my Saturn at this point. I feel like I can get maybe a couple more years out of it but I've been saying exactly the same thing since 2015 on it (it's an 07 model). I keep wanting to go to an electric but this thing keeps on pumping and so far the only electric on the market with the battery I need is from Tesla. Nothing else has the range I need (though I've seen some specs on the new Leaf that look promising). Still waiting for something like an electric Miata to come out or something similar.

Thing is the current car is a f***ing TANK. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I don't just get another couple years, but another half dozen out of that thing since I'm still shy of 170K miles on it.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Well, looks like I'll be riding this sonafabitch out in the OBX. Already got all my canned goods, water, and a generator. Will be posting pics of the carnage as it rolls thru. Just hope it stays offshore and out of the Pamlico sound. Yeee Haaaw!
Stay safe.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Is it much of a concern inland at this point? Everything I'm seeing on the NHC website right now suggests it won't be more than a stiff breeze and a couple of inches of rain here in Raleigh.

Obviously a lot can change, but right now it's not setting off any alarms for me. Wondering if it should be.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Is it much of a concern inland at this point? Everything I'm seeing on the NHC website right now suggests it won't be more than a stiff breeze and a couple of inches of rain here in Raleigh.

Obviously a lot can change, but right now it's not setting off any alarms for me. Wondering if it should be.

No. Raleigh should be fine if it stays close to current projections. Latest models have the eye staying just offshore but they keep moving it further west every update. I’m in Wilmington so a little more concerned ha. I don’t expect flooding like last year with Flo but winds will most likely be worse depending on how far offshore the eye stays. Current projections have it staying at least a cat 2 when it’s off NC coast.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

My main concern is that it isn’t moving much and any small change of course can alter projections a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad