Hurricanes Lounge XXX: The "Will I Stay or Will I Go?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm hoping this move/downsizing we are going through is our last, but if it isn't, the next one will be easy. We moved a lot over the years and this is the first time we've ever been in a house more than 4 years and we've been in this one for 15 so we accumulated lots of stuff. Our new house will have no crawlspace, almost no attic space and and a smaller garage. We really have no choice but to get rid of 75% of what we own and the new house won't have any space to accumulate "stuff".

The rate at which we accumulate crap is mind-blowing. I am a minimalist kind of person and I married a hoarder and there are days I literally feel like I'm going to have a claustrophobic panic attack.

We have 3 barbecue grills, two riding mowers, two playground sets, 3 power wheels. We have two kids and they have 7 bicycles. A salon chair. A non-operational jukebox. Two extra clothes dressers. People are dropping their shit off at our house daily it seems like. It's overflowing. It's been about 5 years since I could even park my car in the garage. And she just keeps getting more and more stuff. I'm tired of looking like the goddamn town dump. Truth be told, one of the main attractions of moving is the thought of getting rid of all this shit.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The rate at which we accumulate crap is mind-blowing. I am a minimalist kind of person and I married a hoarder and there are days I literally feel like I'm going to have a claustrophobic panic attack.

We have 3 barbecue grills, two riding mowers, two playground sets, 3 power wheels. We have two kids and they have 7 bicycles. A salon chair. A non-operational jukebox. Two extra clothes dressers. People are dropping their **** off at our house daily it seems like. It's overflowing. It's been about 5 years since I could even park my car in the garage. And she just keeps getting more and more stuff. I'm tired of looking like the goddamn town dump.
I don't know if that is reason not to move, or more reason to move?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

We have 3 barbecue grills, two riding mowers, two playground sets, 3 power wheels. We have two kids and they have 7 bicycles. A salon chair. A non-operational jukebox. Two extra clothes dressers. People are dropping their **** off at our house daily it seems like. It's overflowing. It's been about 5 years since I could even park my car in the garage. And she just keeps getting more and more stuff. I'm tired of looking like the goddamn town dump. Truth be told, one of the main attractions of moving is the thought of getting rid of all this ****.
I’m sorry ... that list of stuff had me lol’ing.

Reactions: Unsustainable

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I plan on making my fortune on my new creation: Impossible Vegetables. They look and taste just like vegetables but are actually made of 100% meat.

Homer: I built myself a healthy apple
Lisa: Yes, out of ham cubes

Yxwd1QN.gif

OOiM0lN9_IZDMxG_cm13iveglQ_p6rSCID_nfLCYrkk.gif

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Damn I'm easy. The market gave you a free Twix coffee mug if you buy a packet of coffee and four Twix bars. The coffee packs were two for 10 e and Twix bars 4 for 2 e. Now I got two mugs I really don't need and two packets of slightly overpriced coffee of roast level 3 that's a bit dark for my taste and I already ate my share of the chocolates.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Damn I'm easy. The market gave you a free Twix coffee mug if you buy a packet of coffee and four Twix bars. The coffee packs were two for 10 e and Twix bars 4 for 2 e. Now I got two mugs I really don't need and two packets of slightly overpriced coffee of roast level 3 that's a bit dark for my taste and I already ate my share of the chocolates.
Lempo for the win.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So I was rear-ended about 2 weeks ago. Wasn't a huge accident, just a minor dent on the bumper. But since it wasn't my fault and the other person's insurance was paying for it, I brought it in to get repaired yesterday. They took one look at it, asked me if that was it, and told me it's just a new bumper, they'll call my in the morning (this morning) to pick it up

Got a message about an hour ago that it's going to take another 3 weeks to repair because they found all kinds of issues and yadda, yadda, yadda.

Accident.jpg

Tell me, does that look like it's going to take another 3 weeks (and another $3.5k) to repair?

Honestly, I feel like they're trying to milk it. Again, it's another person's insurance, so I don't lose anything financially, but I'm forced to deal with a rental because of this change, and if I had known it would wind up being like this, I wouldn't have taken it in.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
So I was rear-ended about 2 weeks ago. Wasn't a huge accident, just a minor dent on the bumper. But since it wasn't my fault and the other person's insurance was paying for it, I brought it in to get repaired yesterday. They took one look at it, asked me if that was it, and told me it's just a new bumper, they'll call my in the morning (this morning) to pick it up

Got a message about an hour ago that it's going to take another 3 weeks to repair because they found all kinds of issues and yadda, yadda, yadda.

View attachment 250919

Tell me, does that look like it's going to take another 3 weeks (and another $3.5k) to repair?

Honestly, I feel like they're trying to milk it. Again, it's another person's insurance, so I don't lose anything financially, but I'm forced to deal with a rental because of this change, and if I had known it would wind up being like this, I wouldn't have taken it in.
man I hate the insurance industry.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

View attachment 250919

Given the rip in the bumper and what could be behind it, I can believe their estimate. Do you have backup sensors in the bumper?

I’ve been without my car since the second week of July because some guy was reading his phone before he decided to look up and then proceed to stop only after hitting my car. Did $9k in damages.

upload_2019-8-22_20-50-25.jpeg

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
On the one hand, we can increase our household income by 30% while moving to a town with roughly the same cost of living, and she can move up the ladder and get a better and likely more fulfilling job.

On the other hand, we have to pull the kids out of their schools, leave behind our church, our awesome neighbors, a home we love, her sister/mother/aunt and other extended family, fix up our house so it can be sold, live cheaply while we are having to pay rent on a condo/townhouse and still paying the mortgage/utilities, etc. on the old house, sell the old house, buy a new house, find new schools and a new church, find babysitters and daycare, move ****ing again from the rental to the new house in 6 months if we're lucky, find new places to get a haircut and get the oil changed in the car and every other goddamned thing under the sun.

I want her to be happy and have the chance to advance her career but jesus, I don't know if I can start all over again, again.

Tough call, unless that 30% is like a big 30%...

I only moved a mile down the road and it was a big pain in the ass as it was. My kids are kinda pissed even though they "no longer have to be embarrassed to invite other kids over", but the whole process was a shit show.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Given the rip in the bumper and what could be behind it, I can believe their estimate. Do you have backup sensors in the bumper?

I’ve been without my car since the second week of July because some guy was reading his phone before he decided to look up and then proceed to stop only after hitting my car. Did $9k in damages.

View attachment 250925
Poor GTI :(
I have a black 2013, it’s been my favorite car so far. So much fun to drive.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

View attachment 250925

Nope, no sensor back there or anything of the sort. According to the updated preliminary assessment they sent me, the parts they’re ordering are a bumper cover and an impact bar, both of which make sense.

But reading through the rest of it, it sounds like they’re basically replacing the entire back half of my car. Which, again, seems excessive considering the minimal damage it had.

I’m just annoyed it’s going to take so long. Like if they had told me upfront it would take a month to repair, I would have just said “Ok, I won’t bother getting it repaired then” because it really didn’t affect anything.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad