Hurricanes Lounge XXVIII: The "where's the rain?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
My daughter was beating the acoustic guitar in the other room, after which she was prompted, out of nowhere, to sing-song comment on the flu she's currently suffering:

"I hate this feeling, it sure blows,
wish one could detach her nose.
Voldemort!"

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
My daughter was beating the acoustic guitar in the other room, after which she was prompted, out of nowhere, to sing-song comment on the flu she's currently suffering:

"I hate this feeling, it sure blows,
wish one could detach her nose.
Voldemort!"
Does she sing in English, or do the Finnish words for 'nose' and 'blows' rhyme in Finnish as well?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does she sing in English, or do the Finnish words for 'nose' and 'blows' rhyme in Finnish as well?
She did it in Finnish. I took care to reproduce rhyming when translating it for the HFCanes' benefit, but as usual the credit goes to original author and not the translator.

(Which is occasionally a bummer because sometimes the translator is the real hero but that's not the case here this time.)

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So, why were you leaving?

Companies usually won't let you know how valuable you are until you're leaving. It may be sincere, it may be BS. But that's when they tell you.

The main issue has been a lack of guidance. I’m a junior employee being tasked with the work of a senior manager with no supervision or training. I’m employed by the Canadian division but working on a project sold by our German division then subcontracted to our American division. Long story short - I get lost in the shuffle and left to figure things out on my own. Nobody has a clear picture of everything I do and no one on site is really my direct manager so they keep piling work on well past the point of what one can handle. It’s been a frustrating year.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I'd say then, unless you want more of the same, leave. Promises of " we can fix that" are typically hollow. Companies hate to lose workhorses that don't complain much. I've seen changes last as long as two weeks before I was right back where I started. Doing 3 people's work for 1 persons pay. They were shocked when I left on Friday and said I'm not coming back after two warnings to fix things.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I'd say then, unless you want more of the same, leave. Promises of " we can fix that" are typically hollow. Companies hate to lose workhorses that don't complain much. I've seen changes last as long as two weeks before I was right back where I started. Doing 3 people's work for 1 persons pay. They were shocked when I left on Friday and said I'm not coming back after two warnings to fix things.

I appreciate the insight.

I definitely would not want to return to my current project. There IS a lot of change taking place but it’s not all positive and I believe things will end up even worse than they are. I know a lot of other staff there who are just waiting for the right opportunity to jump ship.

I’m intrigued by his offer to move to another project, though. We have a ton of work coming up in Canada and it could be a great opportunity. Or it could be another year of frustration :laugh:

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
You know the saying about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. But if the grass on your side is already brown, or dying, there's typically no harm in hopping that fence.

When I changed jobs about 2 years ago, I left a completely shyte company. I couldn't leave fast enough. I managed 8 months, between riding it out and looking for a new job. 8 miserable months. My next job was much better. In every way. Still not perfect, and I'm still peeking over fences, but I wouldn't go back to my last job if my life depended on it. They were crooked, poorly managed, didn't pay their bills, etc. Wed come in to find the building locked up, or the power turned off, our company credit cards were constantly being declined, vehicles repo'd, etc. Fun times. They even paid people with paper checks for about 2 months, and during that time a lot of them bounced.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Supposedly a substation is down here in New Bern. City wide outage for an estimated 2-4 hours. Really hope that squirrel enjoyed his last nut.

EDIT: Turns out it was a transmission line damaged by a vegetation crew. I imagine they won’t be getting their contract renewed.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That promotion I was up for, glad it fell through, they are going to be cutting that department in the spring.
This reminds me of one of my friends from the Danbury Trashers who after the team folded got a job offer from the North County Cutters of the CanAm (baseball) league. She was just about to take it when the Bridgeport Sound Tigers offered her a job at the last second that she took instead. The baseball team folded a month later.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
This reminds me of one of my friends from the Danbury Trashers who after the team folded got a job offer from the North County Cutters of the CanAm (baseball) league. She was just about to take it when the Bridgeport Sound Tigers offered her a job at the last second that she took instead. The baseball team folded a month later.

They are talking a 25% reduction, being the new guy, my butt would have likely been on that

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I just had a lovely whirlwind trip to Raleigh on Saturday night and Sunday morning. unfortunately I had too many coffee porters at Mitch’s and was up 3/4ths of the night clenching my teeth. I always forget that that happens to me with late night coffee beers. though I’m kinda mystified why that would happen, scientifically.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Got put on cholesterol medicine, I’m trending the right way on it coming down, but wants me to get down quicker, once it’s back to normal, should be able to come off the medication.

I was at the lowest recorded weight for my doctors today though, and I’ve have consistently dropped weight this year with every visit (going back to last year*)

My oldest brother having a heart attack really scared me, so I’ve been a lot more motivated lately. Off of the sugar for good. Lifestyle changes for sure. Lifting some weights again and cardio.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
5F5D3754-1378-4178-AD36-E29392FEF58F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3