Hurricanes Lounge XXVIII: The "where's the rain?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I was in public accounting for a few years. Every busy season brought about 10-12 straight weeks where we were guaranteed to work 60-70 hours. At some of the more prestigious firms, the number can be more like 80-100. Of course, there was always the possibility of working those hours at any time of year, but you knew without a doubt that it was coming in winter.

I left five years ago. I do miss the variety that comes with seeing different clients, but those hours just weren't worth it. I'm making about 25% less than I would be if I had stayed in and worked my way up, but everything else about my life is much better than it was in those days. It's worth the lost income to be in a better mental state and have time for my family and friends.

What do you do now? Currently in public and trying to plan the next move.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
What do you do now? Currently in public and trying to plan the next move.
My first job out of public was a bit of a false start - it was supposed to be a financial analysis role, but ended up being mostly data entry. Over time, it evolved into one where I spent most of my time doing site visits and tenant file audits for apartment properties the company had invested in. By the time I started taking my next job hunt seriously, I had been off in the weeds for too long and had trouble getting out. So if you find yourself in a situation like that, start looking as soon as you realize it.

The job I'm in now is he kind of role I should have had straight out of public. It's more traditional industry accounting with debits, credits, monthly close, and all that. But there's also some of that financial analysis, which I really like better. It's a pretty awesome company, but honestly I don't know if I want to do debits and credits forever. I'm hoping I can eventually pivot into something more analytical at this company, but at least for now I'm in a spot where I'm learning the business.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So finally in middle age I'm in the perfect job- highly paid software sales exec at a major tech firm. Totally not the job I imagined myself in when I enlisted in the Army at age 18.

My time is completely my own. Work from home. Boss calls me maybe twice a week to see if I need anything. All I have is a number- sell X amount of software every 6 months or I get fired. Other than that, I can f*** off all week, I can fly to San Diego for an hour long meeting, take clients out to a $1500 dinner with fine wine, whatever I want. No questions asked. It is difficult to judge how much time I should actually spend doing stuff although the Army has taught me to really run that blade.

Some weeks My wife and I sit there all day at the kitchen table and stare at each other across our laptops. Some weeks I have 8 airline flights. Some weeks my home feels like a prison. Some weeks I feel like a shitbag because I havent really done anything but I'm still over 100% of quota. But I am grateful.

Its become a strange life. No complaints at all because I remember the 70 hour grind of a being a private investigator. I remember being a bartender who could barely pay my rent. But I remember something that Karl Marx once wrote "The worker is inevitably alientated from his labor" and realize that by the time I retire this type of life may drive me half mad.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
For those of you who play; I'm in the market for a new helmet and curious if anyone had any suggestions.

My LHS doesn't have a ton of selection but I recently tried on a Bauer Reakt 75, CCM Fitlite, Tacks 110, and Resistance 300.

The Tacks and Resistance were the most comfortable. Trying to decide between the Resistance 300 combo which is marked down to $150 or the Tacks 710 at $190. The difference in price isn't a major concern, I'm leaning towards the Tacks because I'm a big fan of D3O.

Does anyone have any thoughts or other recommendations?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
about to get a wisdom tooth out im ****ting my pants

Good luck soldier

Mine were absolutely awful, it’s kinda crazy how different the surgery goes for people

I had three removed all at once. The two on the top were easy and never bothered me after the extraction. The one on the bottom however was coming in nearly horizontally and had some crooked roots. That one kept me in bed for the weekend (had them removed on a Friday) hopped up on painkillers.

Good luck.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That's not part of the required prep, btw.
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6567763966684b585a42657758513d3d2d3338313437343832322e313461393138333364613138303561393335313930353139383935302e676966

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
GF is 37 weeks pregnant. We would love to visit our families come Christmas time, but we live like a stone throw from the hospital and they both live 100 miles away. I've basically spent my afternoon at work collecting data and modeling a probability function for babies born x days since conception.

For the record, it's given me absolutely no help at all with the decision, so we'll probably go with "how ya feeling today, honey?" on Christmas day.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
GF is 37 weeks pregnant. We would love to visit our families come Christmas time, but we live like a stone throw from the hospital and they both live 100 miles away. I've basically spent my afternoon at work collecting data and modeling a probability function for babies born x days since conception.

For the record, it's given me absolutely no help at all with the decision, so we'll probably go with "how ya feeling today, honey?" on Christmas day.

My wife and I had our first at the end of August; she came 13 days early if it helps your model.

Also, congrats!

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ

take comfort in the fact that no matter what you end up doing, some dumb family member will complain about it. and if you have the baby on Christmas eve or something, then I would imagine that Christmas is at your house this year!

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Have your families come to you. Win win.

toastmasterbone

Mar 14, 2013
mebbin
That's not part of the required prep, btw.

I found out from my dental surgeon back in the day what "supernumerary" meant. I had all four wisdom teeth extracted, and then a fifth one that showed up like a whack-a-mole. In addition, I'm currently scheduled for a colonoscopy, which concludes my response to 2 posts. In the lulls between my contributions here, I feel that I need to address multiple posts with a single shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad