Hurricanes Lounge XXVIII: The "where's the rain?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
LOL when people from Maine say it's hot

As someone who grew up in a very cold environment up north, then lived in the northeast and now down here, it's not comparable IMO. Up north in the summer, they still get days in the 90s (and some places high 90s) from time to time and nobody has AC to deal with it. Down here, it never gets 20 below zero like it does up there and even when it gets down into the teens down here, everywhere has heat.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
As someone who grew up in a very cold environment up north, then lived in the northeast and now down here, it's not comparable IMO. Up north in the summer, they still get days in the 90s (and high 90s) from time to time and nobody has AC to deal with it. Down here, it never gets 20 below zero like it does up there and everywhere has heat.
I spent 3 years in the Upper Peninsula as a kid, where it would get in the 90s during the summer. But the humidity is nothing at all like it is down here.

Obviously lake effect snow and sub zero temps suck in their own way, but northern heat just doesn't compare, IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I spent 3 years in the Upper Peninsula as a kid, where it would get in the 90s during the summer. But the humidity is nothing at all like it is down here.

Obviously lake effect snow and sub zero temps suck in their own way, but northern heat just doesn't compare, IMO.

The humidity is a valid point, although in the northeast nearer the ocean it can be much more humid than inland. The fact that most places don't have AC makes the heat much less bearable up there though.

Everybody is different, but I can at least go outside when it's hot down here and do stuff. Just gotta drink lots of water, have sun screen/ shade and plan on sweating. And when I do want to escape it, I just need to come inside for a while. Or I'll wait til early morning or evening to do it.

When it's 20 below up there, there's just no way to be outside doing anything at any time of the day. I remember staying at a ski area in Vermont with some friends many years back. It was -21F (without the wind chill) when we woke up, but we had all sorts of gear, face shields, helmets, etc....so we were going to ski no matter what. We did 2 runs, were absolutely miserable, and decided our time was much betters spent inside drinking for the rest of the trip.

Where in the Upper Peninsula were you?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The humidity is a valid point, although in the northeast nearer the ocean it can be much more humid than inland. The fact that most places don't have AC makes the heat much less bearable up there though.

Everybody is different, but I can at least go outside when it's hot down here and do stuff. Just gotta drink lots of water, have sun screen/ shade and plan on sweating. And when I do want to escape it, I just need to come inside for a while. Or I'll wait til early morning or evening to do it.

When it's 20 below up there, there's just no way to be outside doing anything at any time of the day. I remember staying at a ski area in Vermont with some friends many years back. It was -21F (without the wind chill) when we woke up, but we had all sorts of gear, face shields, helmets, etc....so we were going to ski no matter what. We did 2 runs, were absolutely miserable, and decided our time was much betters spent inside drinking for the rest of the trip.

Where in the Upper Peninsula were you?
The Soo, or Sault Ste. Marie. My father worked at LSSU, the school of Canes legends Bates Battaglia, John Graham and Doug Weight.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The Soo, or Sault Ste. Marie. My father worked at LSSU, the school of Canes legends Bates Battaglia, John Graham and Doug Weight.

Cool. Lived in the UP for a while myself and still have family there. Supposed to go back on February so I'll see how much I can endure the cold now that I've been down here for 10+ years. I detest the cold weather now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
@CanesInducedComa Did you ever spend time on Mackinaw Island? That's a beautiful area.
Yes, we would go at least once a year. All of the UP and surrounding area is one of America's best kept secrets. Or maybe not, winters there are brutal.

Cool. Lived in the UP for a while myself and still have family there. Supposed to go back on February so I'll see how much I can endure the cold now that I've been down here for 10+ years. I detest the cold weather now.
I have not been in at least 10 years. And I haven't been there during the winter in 15+. The weather is a cool novelty for a 2 weeks or so, then just depressing.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I have not been in at least 10 years. And I haven't been there during the winter in 15+. The weather is a cool novelty for a 2 weeks or so, then just depressing.

Yeah, I spent a couple of summers up on Lake Superior shore and it was delightful. I spent a few winters there and it was brutal. Even when it starts warming up, it then gets ugly when all the snow starts to melt and you see all the sand, salt and mud.

I get back there every couple of years, but always in the summer. Went in October once for a wedding, but we lucked out with the weather. Going to be a challenge. I know why retirees move to Florida. It's because cold tolerance gets worse with age.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Anyone else go to the Backyard Brawl last night? We did a team-building thing and skipped practice to go see it as a group...one State club supporting another, I guess. It was good fun, especially for only a $10 donation. Loved all the fight both teams had for each other...always great to see that kind of rivalry.

State has a kid named Halko, and I noticed a few Halko jerseys in the stands near the home penalty box...wondered if Sarge had a baby near-about the time he was trying to stick with the big club.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Anyone else go to the Backyard Brawl last night? We did a team-building thing and skipped practice to go see it as a group...one State club supporting another, I guess. It was good fun, especially for only a $10 donation. Loved all the fight both teams had for each other...always great to see that kind of rivalry.

State has a kid named Halko, and I noticed a few Halko jerseys in the stands near the home penalty box...wondered if Sarge had a baby near-about the time he was trying to stick with the big club.

Who won?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
NC State, 9-5

State's play in the offensive zone was very good, even their defensemen seemed to do well in support. In their own zone, the whole group did a lot of puck-chasing...not much team defense, it seemed. State's goaltender look atrocious to start, but eased into the game after allowing 3 first period goals. UNC's goaltender played a good game, I thought, the team in front of him was just hot garbage.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Down here, it never gets 20 below zero like it does up there and even when it gets down into the teens down here, everywhere has heat.

Because of my job, I've been spending a lot of time in Montreal. Last January, shortly after the turn of the year, I spent a week up there. The plane landed in a raging blizzard, it was -8 (Fahrenheit), and I Ubered to the office. I stay about 3 blocks from the office and the walk home was "uncomfortable", but I had a hat and gloves. The next day it was -16 when I woke and had to walk to work those same 3 blocks. It was brutal. In the evening, it was -14. Basically it was like that all week. My key takeaway was learning the value of a good scarf.

member 157595

As someone who grew up in a very cold environment up north, then lived in the northeast and now down here, it's not comparable IMO. Up north in the summer, they still get days in the 90s (and some places high 90s) from time to time and nobody has AC to deal with it. Down here, it never gets 20 below zero like it does up there and even when it gets down into the teens down here, everywhere has heat.

I live in the Boston area. We do get days in the high 90's on occasion, but we don't get it for months at a time. I remember one day growing up in NY that it got to 102 degrees...we didn't have AC so my brother and I stayed in the basement all day.

I remember flying from Central NY to Miami for Thanksgiving one year. It was 15 degrees with lake-effect (EDIT: Eddie Lack-Effect?) snow falling when I took off. The next day, the (now) wife and I went outside at 2:30 a.m. in Miami...it was 83 degrees. I had never been so confused in my life, and I got a terrible cold upon returning back to NY.

In California it's even weirder. North of SF, there are towns where it never drops below 50 degrees or goes above 70. The hottest place in the USA is less than 100 miles from one of the coldest.

The only conclusion is that the Carolina Windshields must be blown in by the winds of change to allow our rudders to compensate for such craziness.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010

Halko had a couple of kids playing hockey in the Raleigh area and one of them would be at least Freshman age now--so it wouldn't be shocking. True story...my son's first game ever when he was 8 was at 6:30 in the morning at what is now center ice and my son had just come from the learn-to-play route into the league. We get there early and while my son's team is getting dressed, the other team's coach and his son were out skating before the game--the kid--no older than 8, was doing backwards crossovers--truly amazing to me as my son could barely skate backwards, much less do crossovers backwards. I thought for sure I was seeing a future NHL'er--the parent was Halko and the kid was probably the kid you saw last night.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Sounds like both schools are ready for the NCAA jump a la Arizona State

:sarcasm:
If Alabama-Huntsville can support a D-I hockey team, a lot of schools in the south can as well.

Wish there were more college, USHL/NAHL teams down here but teams in the ECHL/SPHL can barely survive so I doubt it's happening anytime soon. The fact that UAH can support D-I hockey is pretty amazing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad