LeBrun: Hurricanes looking for a top 9 winger, have shown interest in Puljujarvi and Ho-Sang

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Canes are looking for a top 9 winger. LeBrun suggests a couple minor leaguers. Classic LeBrun.
Pulujarvi isn't in the minors, he's overseas and would be in the NHL if he signed in Edmonton. He's a hold out, not a minor leaguer. I'd still do something around Pulujarvi for Gauthier if I was Holland.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pulujarvi isn't in the minors, he's overseas and would be in the NHL if he signed in Edmonton. He's a hold out, not a minor leaguer. I'd still do something around Pulujarvi for Gauthier if I was Holland.
The main reason he'd be in the NHL is that he has to clear waivers, therefore Edmonton risking giving him up for nothing on an asset they used a 4th overall pick only 3 and a half years ago. Nothing in his previous 3 seasons has he shown that he is clearly above the AHL or that he belongs full-time in the NHL. Even with Edmonton's significant lack of depth the previous 2 years, he couldn't move into the top 9 full-time and was yo-yo'd up and down, and occasionally sent to the press box.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Toffoli could be a hot commodity with how many teams are looking for help on the wings. LA could easily retain too

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The main reason he'd be in the NHL is that he has to clear waivers, therefore Edmonton risking giving him up for nothing on an asset they used a 4th overall pick only 3 and a half years ago. Nothing in his previous 3 seasons has he shown that he is clearly above the AHL or that he belongs full-time in the NHL. Even with Edmonton's significant lack of depth the previous 2 years, he couldn't move into the top 9 full-time and was yo-yo'd up and down, and occasionally sent to the press box.

He had some consistency issues, I'll agree there, but it isn't exactly correct to say that he never showed he was an NHL player. There were flashes of a good player there, I just think that he needed things he wasn't getting in Edmonton - consistent linemates, a proper mentor. Don't get me wrong JP sure had his issues that caused this problem as well, and he probably should have had more time in the minors, but I would wager that he could fit in on a number of teams middle six, if we could actually prove that type of statement. Including Edmonton, for what its worth, if he would give a Tippett/Holland run Oiler team a chance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He had some consistency issues, I'll agree there, but it isn't exactly correct to say that he never showed he was an NHL player. There were flashes of a good player there, I just think that he needed things he wasn't getting in Edmonton - consistent linemates, a proper mentor. Don't get me wrong JP sure had his issues that caused this problem as well, and he probably should have had more time in the minors, but I would wager that he could fit in on a number of teams middle six, if we could actually prove that type of statement. Including Edmonton, for what its worth, if he would give a Tippett/Holland run Oiler team a chance.
I mean, he could, I just don't think you can say he's really above other AHL level guys you could similarly plug-in. Outside of just terrible players, most guys will have flashes. The main reason he'd be in the NHL at this point is due to the waiver situation created by the previous regime being overly aggressive on his developmental timeline and playing him over 9 games triggering the start of his ELC.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I am going to second the opinion that the Canes should look at Baertschi and Goldobin
Here is why...………….

Basically, the Canucks were a little hamstrung, getting under the cap...…...

Baertschi

It is my full belief that Baertschi would be there now, except for his salary ($3,666,000)
He is a 40 point man, who can play 2nd or 3rd line, and is a good PP guy. Sven is a 200 ft
player...…..there is more than a chance he is back on the big club sooner, than later.
But IMO, it was basically due to Cap issues.....he is running at a 2 point per game rate in the
AHL......he can easily play 2nd or 3 line in the NHL......Concussion issues

Goldobin, I would rather keep, as I think he has all the tools, including IQ, he needs confidence
in my opinion. He is running at a 2 point per game rate as well. AHL player of the week. You will
see him win it again

Cost...……..

Baertschi...….late 2nd/early 3rd
Goldobin……..Priskie, McKeown
Leivo…………..early 3rd

To me, all 3 have played 1st line/2nd line , and Leivo can even play 4th line. Who should you take?
Baertschi. Why because I wish him well, and he has the most skill.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am going to second the opinion that the Canes should look at Baertschi and Goldobin
Here is why...………….

Baertschi

It is my full belief that Baertschi would be there now, except for his salary ($3,666,000)
He is a 40 point man, who can play 2nd or 3rd line, and is a good PP guy. Sven is a 200 ft
player...…..there is more than a chance he is back on the big club sooner, than later.
But IMO, it was basically due to Cap issues.....he is running at a 2 point per game rate in the

Goldobin, I would rather keep, as I think he has all the tools, including IQ, he needs confidence
in my opinion. He is running at a 2 point per game rate as well. AHL player of the week. You will
see him win it again

Cost...……..

Leivo…………..early 3rd

To me, all 3 have played 1st line/2nd line , and Leivo can even play 4th line. Who should you take?

why are people giving up 2nd rounders and legit prospects for vancouvers mid 20 year old ahlers

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
He’s in a minor league. He’s been given every opportunity to show he’s NHL talent but so far he clearly is not. Hes a minor league player. Keep dreaming if you think at this point he is anything but.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Here is why...………….

Baertschi

see him win it again

Cost...……..

Leivo…………..early 3rd

I love when fans come with “our AHL players are top 6 on your team”. On the Canucks no less.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I love when fans come with “our AHL players are top 6 on your team”. On the Canucks no less.

I like when people do not know what they are talking about...…...
Get this...…...Baertschi has been our 2nd LW for the past3+ years
He is offensive mined, and plays a 200 ft game
Now, if you can come up with a 35+ LWer for less
Let's hear what you think...don't just shoot your mouth off
Pretty easy to shoot someone's idea down, and not put forth
any alternatives

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
any alternatives

Man a team isnt going to give up a 2nd for a player that was just on waivers... your way out to lunch here.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Man a team isnt going to give up a 2nd for a player that was just on waivers... your way out to lunch here.

Just watch...Baertschi just got to Utica...give him a couple of weeks and a pile of points and he is either back on the Canucks or traded...…….it won't be long, if he stays healthy

He has 2nd line talent for a team that needs a 2 or 3 line winger

Once upon a time he was our best LWer...…..that is not saying much, but its fact

Our Lwers are bigger and stronger than Sven, which is why he lost out

I guess it depends on where the 2nd is, really, and how desperate the other team is

Vancouver is not desperate any more...…………….finally!

It does not hurt to have Sven down in Utica for us

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Just watch...Baertschi just got to Utica...give him a couple of weeks and a pile of points and he is either back on the Canucks or traded...…….it won't be long, if he stays healthy

He has 2nd line talent for a team that needs a 2 or 3 line winger

Once upon a time he was our best LWer...…..that is not saying much, but its fact

Our Lwers are bigger and stronger than Sven, which is why he lost out

I guess it depends on where the 2nd is, really, and how desperate the other team is

Vancouver is not desperate any more...…………….finally!

It does not hurt to have Sven down in Utica for us
Producing in the AHL as a 27 year old isn't going to get you a 2nd rounder especially when he has a year after this on his contract at way too much money.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Producing in the AHL as a 27 year old isn't going to get you a 2nd rounder especially when he has a year after this on his contract at way too much money.

What exactly do you think a 2nd rounder gets you, if he develops in 2/3 years
Generally, something not as good as Baertschi is now, and who ever is looking
needs someone ….NOW!
But the main question is...what are other offering ?
Baertschi is down in the minors because of cap, as much as anything
He could at this very moment play 2nd PP on Vancouver

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
What exactly do you think a 2nd rounder gets you, if he develops in 2/3 years
Generally, something not as good as Baertschi is now, and who ever is looking
needs someone ….NOW!
But the main question is...what are other offering ?
Baertschi is down in the minors because of cap, as much as anything
He could at this very moment play 2nd PP on Vancouver

Vancouver must be stacked at forward if they have a 27 year old forward in the AHL that is worth a second rounder.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
any alternatives
Don’t say dumb things. Fans who think their AHL players are top 6 players on other teams or completely out of touch. They have an emotional opinion of a player that has nothing to do with reality. Never mind a team that has the shallow talent pool of the Canucks.

Sorry I hurt your feelings sweetie.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Don’t say dumb things. Fans who think their AHL players are top 6 players on other teams or completely out of touch. They have an emotional opinion of a player that has nothing to do with reality. Never mind a team that has the shallow talent pool of the Canucks.

Sorry I hurt your feelings sweetie.

I don't have a feeling.

But, do you actually know Baertschi? Do you know our cap space? Do you know our roster?
I would guess you are just shooting from the lip.

The original post was about needing a 2nd or 3rd line guy...…..do you have some one else in mind that can do the job better, and is available? I doubt it.

And that is the trouble on here...guys make opinions, and can not back them up....and that is on you!

Oh, and by the way, I am not called Sweetie, "Sweetie" is what I call your girlfriend when I come and visit her!

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't have a feeling.

But, do you actually know Baertschi? Do you know our cap space? Do you know our roster?
I would guess you are just shooting from the lip.

The original post was about needing a 2nd or 3rd line guy...…..do you have some one else in mind that can do the job better, and is available? I doubt it.

And that is the trouble on here...guys make opinions, and can not back them up....and that is on you!

Oh, and by the way, I am not called Sweetie, "Sweetie" is what I call your girlfriend when I come and visit her!
Sure thing sweetie. The canucks are throwing away a 2nd line player over 1 million dollars? You dont think there's a better way to make that work? But keep thinking the Canucks are soooooo deep that they can burn a 2nd line asset.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Sure thing sweetie. The canucks are throwing away a 2nd line player over 1 million dollars? You dont think there's a better way to make that work? But keep thinking the Canucks are soooooo deep that they can burn a 2nd line asset.

Well, I would say the start of the season looks pretty good so far for Van...

How is our team doing? It's early.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Cost...……..

Baertschi...….late 2nd/early 3rd.

why would Carolina give up that for a guy they could have had for free on waivers, especially when the Canes have no cap space? Late round pick with Van retaining and the Canes might be interested though.

Yes, sign a college UFA (Priskie) and trade him for an AHL tweener 2 months later. How does that make sense? McKeown is probably fine, but Goldobin doesn’t solve anything for Carolina.

Leivo…………..early 3rd

Leivo sucks. We have enough guys in the system try o bring what he does. No interest.

I think you over estimate their ability.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Even if the Canes wanted Baertschi (they most likely don't) and were desperate enough to trade a decent asset for him (they most likely aren't), the cap space isn't there to make it happen. Carolina has about ~$2 mil to play with right now; Baertschi carries a ~$3.37 mil cap hit. This discussion is a waste of time.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Usually when a team buries a player like Sven in the minors, it means they can't trade him and no one wanted to claim him off waivers. to say a player like that is worth a 2nd shows me, you are living in a fantasy world. That would be like the Hurricanes asking for a 1st rounder for Scott Darling last year. GM's are smart enough to know when a player is no longer NHL caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad