LeBrun: Hurricanes looking for a top 9 winger, have shown interest in Puljujarvi and Ho-Sang

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
outside my liking the Bhawks, if there is a 2nd team that i would cheer for would prob be Car. they are in the making, the stage of being a formidable team in the future.

just spit ballin here but i am also want to keep the salary cap being the main focus in any propose trade ideas.

what would Car give for a trade of B. Saad and Perlini going to Car ??
Zero interest in Perlini. I think we would maybe have interest in Saad but we’ve given up most of our “extra” assets with the Faulk trade. Now we just have TO’s first rounders and prospects we don’t really want to give up. There’s no one on the team we’re really looking to move. You could argue we have one too many dmen right now but someone will get hurt, wouldn’t surprise me if we keep an extra guy around. So one of TVR, Edmunson or Fleury may be available.

I don’t think we’re in the market for anything remotely expensive. That’s why the rumor of Ho Sang or PP is out there.

Reactions: LDF

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Here's my personal opinion on how the Canes Expansion Draft plays out with the current roster:

Protected

Forwards: Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Staal (NMC), Niederreiter, two of Gauthier/Foegele/Haula (if re-signed)

Defense: Slavin, Pesce, Bean

Goalie: Nedeljkovic

UFA

Dougie, Martinook, McGinn

Unprotected

Wallmark, Fleury, Gardiner, one of Gauthier/Foegele/Haula, Kuokkanen, Geekie

Exempt

Necas, Priskie, Sellgren

To me, out of that entire unprotected list, Gardiner's the best player and is on a very good contract. Why wouldn't Ron Francis select him in the Expansion draft?

Svech is exempt, I think we pay them to take Fluery.

Reactions: Anantika and Tryamw

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes still need help on the PP and Saad might be the worst PP forward in the league who might also considered a "top-6" guy.

Saad has 10 PP points over the past 4 seasons in 430 minutes of PP time. He averages 1 PP point per 43 minutes of PP time. Heinous.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
spaceballs-bill-pulman-schwartz.jpg

-uo-, though. Seems to be a very difficult diphtong for non-Finns. Though many get Kuokkanen right so I don't know.
Severely underrated movie :laugh:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Svech is exempt, I think we pay them to take Fluery.
With Svech playing a full season last year, he will have 3 full seasons under his belt. He wont be exempt.

With Necas and Svech's growth, we should allow Nino to be exposed for his last season of contract.

edit* i added last year to the first sentence for clarity sakes.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Zero interest in Perlini. I think we would maybe have interest in Saad but we’ve given up most of our “extra” assets with the Faulk trade. Now we just have TO’s first rounders and prospects we don’t really want to give up. There’s no one on the team we’re really looking to move. You could argue we have one too many dmen right now but someone will get hurt, wouldn’t surprise me if we keep an extra guy around. So one of TVR, Edmunson or Fleury may be available.

I don’t think we’re in the market for anything remotely expensive. That’s why the rumor of Ho Sang or PP is out there.
excellent reasoning !!

i have no concept of the value of what i propose that is why i ask.

for me, i was thinking of move of a body move for relief with players and settling on cap relief.

so from Car

Stelio Mattheos, b/c of the cap add Brock McGinn, Jordan Martinook or something like

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The canes are in fantastic position to do many things to keep a good roster past the expansion draft.

I like the idea of targeting Jean-Gabriel Pageau. Any ideas of when Ottawa will start selling off? He checks all the boxes. A RHS, a FO guy, and a physical presence. I cant speak to his leadership but, he does have an A. If he is a strong vocal leader then he really is the best candidate.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Canes still need help on the PP and Saad might be the worst PP forward in the league who might also considered a "top-6" guy.

Saad has 10 PP points over the past 4 seasons in 430 minutes of PP time. He averages 1 PP point per 43 minutes of PP time. Heinous.

It's usage stats nerd.

He doesn't get the touches on the PP, watch how they use him. I'm not even a Hawks fan.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The canes are in fantastic position to do many things to keep a good roster past the expansion draft.

I like the idea of targeting Jean-Gabriel Pageau. Any ideas of when Ottawa will start selling off? He checks all the boxes. A RHS, a FO guy, and a physical presence. I cant speak to his leadership but, he does have an A. If he is a strong vocal leader then he really is the best candidate.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Once you take out the guys that will re-sign or be retained as own rentals, the C market becomes trash. If a team looks for a Top 9 pivot, it's Pageau or Koivu, if he decides he wants to move on. Centers are seemingly constantly in demand. Ottawa probably will be in a position to command a premium at the deadline.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
With Svech playing a full season last year, he will have 3 full seasons under his belt. He wont be exempt.

Technically 2 full seasons, because there will still be a week left of the third one (ending 30.6.2021) at the time of the ED (late June 2021) and it doesn't count as a full professional season. 2 full is enough for Svech though.

But Necas with his ~1.95 pro seasons will be exempt. The Slided seasons doesn't count.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Technically 2 full seasons, because there will still be a week left of the third one (ending 30.6.2021) and it doesn't count as a full professional season. 2 full is enough for Svech though.

But Necas with his ~1.95 pro seasons will be exempt. The Slided seasons doesn't count.

Anything past 2 full seasons requires protection. You got me on the technicality but it is of no consequence. In the end, with Necas and Svech's growth and presumed contract cost, I let Mr Francis decide between Gardiner and Nino. Protect the young fellows who may grow into something over the next 2 and be worth keeping (Gauthier, Bean, Fleury, Geekie, etc).

Reactions: Lempo

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Once you take out the guys that will re-sign or be retained as own rentals, the C market becomes trash. If a team looks for a Top 9 pivot, it's Pageau or Koivu, if he decides he wants to move on. Centers are seemingly constantly in demand. Ottawa probably will be in a position to command a premium at the deadline.
I agree he'll be expensive but, maybe can get in early. TD and Co dont like to wait to fill a need.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Anything past 2 full seasons requires protection. You got me on the technicality but it is of no consequence. In the end, with Necas and Svech's growth and presumed contract cost, I let Mr Francis decide between Gardiner and Nino. Protect the young fellows who may grow into something over the next 2 and be worth keeping (Gauthier, Bean, Fleury, Geekie, etc).
Yes, exactly so. I really meant it as a confirmation of the main point, not an annoying "hactually..." intervention.

Reactions: Nikishin Go Boom

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Wouldn't Puljujarvi need to go through waivers this year because he's playing in another league after the nhl season started?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Wouldn't Puljujarvi need to go through waivers this year because he's playing in another league after the nhl season started?

No, he is a Restricted Free Agent so the rule doesn't apply to him (or any guy the signing club already has on their Reserve List, i.e. is holding his NHL rights).

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North
America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may
thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first
either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such
Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing
Waivers or through Waiver claim. This section shall not apply to a Player on the Reserve List or
Restricted Free Agent List of an NHL Club with whom the Player is signing an NHL SPC or is
party to an existing SPC with such NHL Club.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Gusev could be great with Svechnikov and Staal. Staal plays good defense, to compensate Nikita's not very good one, and Gusev + Svechnikov could be magic...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Gusev could be great with Svechnikov and Staal. Staal plays good defense, to compensate Nikita's not very good one, and Gusev + Svechnikov could be magic...

I think Gusev would be one of the best options out there if he was available. Ideal $$, term, handedness, and potential upside. I'd love to see him next to Svechnikov.

Canes 2020 1st + 3rd for Gusev

Canes pay up versus what NJ paid Vegas because it looks like NJ already paid $4.3 million of Gusev's deal in signing bonuses this year.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think Gusev would be one of the best options out there if he was available. Ideal $$, term, handedness, and potential upside. I'd love to see him next to Svechnikov.

Canes 2020 1st + 3rd for Gusev

Canes pay up versus what NJ paid Vegas because it looks like NJ already paid $4.3 million of Gusev's deal in signing bonuses this year.

McGinn + 2nd + 3rd would be good for this Canes. I dunno what NJ wants but I’d prefer to not give up a first and bundle other assets

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Canes are looking for a top 9 winger. LeBrun suggests a couple minor leaguers. Classic LeBrun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad