Hurricanes early success, here to stay?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He fits really well in the lineup, and has been an important part of the overall scheme of the defense. It’s not so much that he’s out there flat-out dominating play or anything, but he makes a bunch of little defensive checks that keep other guys’ mistakes from blowing up. CDH-Faulk on the second pair has a really similar dynamic to Slavin-Hamilton on the first pair, and that little bit of added depth allows the Canes to play a looser style than they have in the past (when it was Hanifin-Faulk and every shift was a gamble at both ends of the ice). He’s also been important on the PK.

I think that signing, which happened during the dog days of summer, got lost in the talk around the Hamilton trade and drafting Svechnikov and all the stuff about the goalies. But there has been a fair amount of positive chatter about him among the fans and beat reporters.

It’s funny, I remember circa 2014 thinking he must have busted and even a couple of years ago being surprised to see him in the lineup. You just never heard anything about him at all. Had no idea that he had grown into a legit top-4 guy. It makes me a little more inclined to be patient with Haydn Fleury, who’s a similar player and starting to get some flak for his development curve. But he’s still the age now that CDH was as a rookie, and we’d be stoked if he ended up as that level of player.

As you pointed out, CDH makes a lot of subtle, smart d plays. He’s poised, never looks like he’s scrambling, and his puck management is safe. He’s also strong against the walls and can throw a check. His mobility should work nicely w the Cane attack.

He’s a good number 4 if he can stay healthy. A loss for NYI; from what I’ve read management wasn’t sold on the health of his shoulders (he’s had recurring shoulder injuries).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You could see the fatigue in the 3rd from the canes. Final game of a 3 games in 4 nights trip where they played 2 cup contenders and a solid Minnesota team.

Even still, they very easily could have won all 3 games, but ran into hot goaltending from backups in Brossoit and Domingue - they only scored 3 times on 83 combined shots vs them. And it's not like they were low quality shots - they had a bunch of breakaways, open shots from the slot, backdoor passes, and rebound chances that were all turned away.

Pretty impressive stat: during the 3 game in 4 nights in Minnesota, Winnipeg, and Tampa, they generated a total of 140 shots, allowing only 76. Not bad for the road team.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You could see the fatigue in the 3rd from the canes. Final game of a 3 games in 4 nights trip where they played 2 cup contenders and a solid Minnesota team.

Even still, they very easily could have won all 3 games, but ran into hot goaltending from backups in Brossoit and Domingue - they only scored 3 times on 83 combined shots vs them. And it's not like they were low quality shots - they had a bunch of breakaways, open shots from the slot, backdoor passes, and rebound chances that were all turned away.

Pretty impressive stat: during the 3 game in 4 nights in Minnesota, Winnipeg, and Tampa, they generated a total of 140 shots, allowing only 76. Not bad for the road team.
Not to diminish anything, but... I was shocked when I saw the shot counter. I can't think of a single Grade A chance that Dom had to stop. The Canes are still volume shooters.

Coop mentioned it in the postgame too - Tampa can roll four lines with skill on each line. The Canes had to shorten the bench and was rolling three. Against a fast team, skating hard every shift, that's going to wear on legs that were already tired. Canes need to find a way to get their fourth line to take a few shifts or they're going to suffer against deep teams.

Edit: BTW - not trying to take away from the Canes. They're a good team. Slavin's play on Johnson without taking a penalty was a top-tier defensive play. Aho is a true stud. Svechnikov is going to be scary when he gets used to the NHL. I think they have a D where you can put any pair on the ice and not have to hold on to your seat (which is rare). They'll make the playoffs - I'm just noting that they're going to be a bit short of the elite teams in the league until they can get more out of their depth players.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The Canes are still volume shooters.

I'll agree that they didn't seem to have a ton of great chances, but there were at least a dozen that got turned away.

Regardless saying they are "still volume shooters" is misleading in the context of this season vs. last season. They are not a team that lives on the perimeter the way they did in previous years.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Do you think Aho is better than Gaudreau?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Aho is breaking out after Canes raised him well. He can now handle the responsibility of being a top line center. Early success is right, but I still see Canes as more of a bubble team. Much better than last year for sure!

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Necas has been sent down, I'm a bit disappointed since he was on fire at this year WC, let's hope it's just a matter of time to adjust to NA play.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Their post-game victory celebration is the most cringeworthy thing I've watched this year lol.

Fun team to watch, but what the hell was that

it-s-a-canes-thing-you-wouldn-t-understand.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad