GDT: Hurricanes @ Capitals - 10/10/13 7PM

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I am clearly the only one who thinks Johansson looks markedly stronger this year (both skating and body position).

No I think there is some improvement. Still not the greatest with the board battles to maintain puck possession. I don't worry about that in the regular season but the playoffs where this becomes way more important.

Liberati0n*

My posts about Johansson aren't always serious. I think he's been okay, but the turnovers bother me more than the board work anyway.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't think Ward and Carlson have been terrible at all.

Carlson certainly hasn't played well but being paired with Erskine doesn't help him at all. I just think he can be so much better than what he has showed so far this season.

Ward has been terrible considering the money he's getting. Whole 3rd line has been shocking in my opinion and i can't believe Erat and Wilson are still in the 4th line despite that. Before that Carolina game that 3rd line basically hadn't created nowhere near scoring chances to just say that they have been unlucky. Yes they can keep the pressure well out of the Caps zone but they always seem to be on the ice when there is goal against and +/- certainly shows that's true. If the correct word isn't terrible then it is underachieving, and Ward and Chimera can't afford that because they can be easily replaced by cheaper players if it doesn't start working. Fehr atleast showed that he can be scoring threat in the 3rd line aswell but he needs to pick it up aswell and quickly.

Last edited:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Carlson has played well, its not his fault hes covering his responsibilities and Erskine isn't. When Erskine cannot even make sure Skinner isn't all alone in front of the net, its pretty pathetic.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Carlson certainly hasn't played well but being paired with Erskine doesn't help him at all. I just think he can be so much better than what he has showed so far this season.

Ward has been terrible considering the money he's getting. Whole 3rd line has been shocking in my opinion and i can't believe Erat and Wilson are still in the 4th line despite that. Before that Carolina game that 3rd line basically hadn't created nowhere near scoring chances to just say that they have been unlucky. Yes they can keep the pressure well out of the Caps zone but they always seem to be on the ice when there is goal against and +/- certainly shows that's true. If the correct word isn't terrible then it is underachieving, and Ward and Chimera can't afford that because they can be easily replaced by cheaper players if it doesn't start working. Fehr atleast showed that he can be scoring threat in the 3rd line aswell but he needs to pick it up aswell and quickly.

Interesting, as I thought Fehr has been the worst of 25/16/42. Chimera and Ward are both 4th liners, but I'd rather have Ward at $3 mil doing what he's doing than a cheaper player who isn't NHL caliber.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No I think there is some improvement. Still not the greatest with the board battles to maintain puck possession. I don't worry about that in the regular season but the playoffs where this becomes way more important.

I think that for every board battle he loses because he gets outmuscles he wins at least one race for a loose puck. it seems he gets no cred for that fact.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I think that for every board battle he loses because he gets outmuscles he wins at least one race for a loose puck. it seems he gets no cred for that fact.
I'd like to see him and Backstrom shoot more to take some pressure off of Ovi on that top line and to keep the defense honest. I don't mind him making a turnover in the offensive zone if he's trying to make a play as long as it doesn't turn into a breakaway opportunity for the other team. Overall I'm not too fussed about Johansson's play even if there's an argument to be made that he isn't the best winger to complement the line.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Interesting, as I thought Fehr has been the worst of 25/16/42. Chimera and Ward are both 4th liners, but I'd rather have Ward at $3 mil doing what he's doing than a cheaper player who isn't NHL caliber.

Fehr has certainly been the problem on that line so far. And neither Ward nor Chimera are 4th liners on most teams in the league. Strictly speaking, Ward produced like a 2nd liner last season despite not getting a ton of minutes. Both of them are quality 3rd line pieces to have on a team.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Sadly i meant the pre-season, which i know doesn't count for much. Ward and Chimera are 4th liners who are making way too much money and both can be easily replaced. I'll give Fehr few more games because he is making the least out of them and he has most potential to improve.

Halpysback*

Sadly i meant the pre-season, which i know doesn't count for much. Ward and Chimera are 4th liners who are making way too much money and both can be easily replaced. I'll give Fehr few more games because he is making the least out of them and he has most potential to improve.

Except when the playoffs roll around they both significantly step up their game every time and are some of our best players and can in fact not be easily replaced.

Fehr, on the other hand, is objectively useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad