RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
and that is what we were told was the reason for the slow start :laugh:

Somehow, same **** different season

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
What value does Johansson bring to this team? Seriously? Get him the hell off the top line.

He's been nearly a PPG player his last 30 regular season games. It's incredible how much **** he gets. He fits just fine with 8 and 19. Backstrom is my favorite player, and IMO he's been the worst player on that line. Especially last night, he was the one that was turning the puck over when they had it in the O zone, not MOJO.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
we got a lot bigger problems than mojo on the 1st line, we need 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line production. hell even some defensemen chipping in would be nice.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The number of times this team looks disorganized in the defensive zone is quickly moving from disconcerting to alarming. You could see both the Lindholm and Gerbe goals coming -- the Lindholm goal because we were running around chasing the puck, and the Gerbe goal because we were panicky with the puck, and thus failed to take advantage of opportunities to clear the zone when the puck was on our stick.

Successful professional hockey teams should not have the amount of trouble getting themselves positioned effectively defensively and organizing a break-out successfully that we have. We look downright incompetent at some very basic stuff that you have to have in order to be successful.

I thought we had Carrick here because he skates well, is positionally pretty good, and can handle/move the puck. Other than Alzner-Green, our D just sucks at that right now - Carlson can be OK, but Ersk really seems to be an anchor for him right now. If we have Carrick here, and he has a skill set that we sorely lack, then he should play - and forget about the lefty-righty thing. Sit Erskine and go with Carlson-Carrick - especially against a young fast team like the Avalanche.

This incompetence in basic facets of the game needs to change quickly, or I'll be looking to dump my tickets - having the same tired, stale VZ Center Unleash the Fury/Rock the Red/No One Comes Into Our House histrionic crap being peddled while this team regresses in basic areas like defensive positioning/break-out/and ES play is just so lame and so full of fail. Keep playing like this and they will quickly become a waste of anyone's time.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No worries I guess, the PP is dominating. Kuz might come over. The grass is green dammit!

But I am not sure how many Cinderella finishes we can expect year after year to squeak into the playoffs. It seems like we are a helluva run.

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
He's been nearly a PPG player his last 30 regular season games. It's incredible how much **** he gets. He fits just fine with 8 and 19. Backstrom is my favorite player, and IMO he's been the worst player on that line. Especially last night, he was the one that was turning the puck over when they had it in the O zone, not MOJO.

Just like you, backstrom is my favorite player, and he has not been on his game as of late, especialy last night. I also agree Mojo gets too much ****. IMO he was one of the best forwards last night. I think the first line needs to be kept the same but the bottom 3 lines need some juggling.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Of course, the lines were the same at practice today.

Here's what I'd do:

10 - 84 - 8
90 - 19 - 20
16 - 21 - 43
25 - 46 - 42

27 - 52
34 - 74
4/38 - 61/58

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Of course, the lines were the same at practice today.

Here's what I'd do:

10 - 84 - 8
90 - 19 - 20
16 - 21 - 43
25 - 46 - 42

27 - 52
34 - 74
4/38 - 61/58

RUSSIANMACHINE+twitter.gif

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I hadn't really considered dropping Backstrom to the second line actually. I wouldn't mind seeing Grabo and Ovi share the ice together for a few games.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Sorry Cheech, we only get changes when there is an injury.

Consistency > panicky line shuffling

It seemed like Brouwer may have gotten donked on the jaw last night.

I think its safe to say, Oates will never change all 4 lines at the same time. I don't hold my breath for one. He does get his scratches the odd game though.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This team has so many holes that will not be filled until GMGM is out.

Erskine, Laich, Johansson, Fehr, Ward, Carlson and Holtby have all been terrible this season, although Johansson has hidden it well behind the stats. Seriously right now i would rather see that 4th line playing 2nd line minutes and have 6 enforcers playing bottom-9 roles for minimum salary rather than this.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Random thoughts from the game... After the canes tied it up at one I just had the feeling this was one of those games they were going to lose by a goal.

Thought Latta just brings more that Beagle at this point as the 4th line C. Even with the limited ice time I thought Erat had some pretty strong shifts.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Am I the only one who thought Laich played pretty darn well last night? Seemed much faster out there than he had in the previous games.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
This team has so many holes that will not be filled until GMGM is out.

Erskine, Laich, Johansson, Fehr, Ward, Carlson and Holtby have all been terrible this season, although Johansson has hidden it well behind the stats. Seriously right now i would rather see that 4th line playing 2nd line minutes and have 6 enforcers playing bottom-9 roles for minimum salary rather than this.

I don't think Ward and Carlson have been terrible at all.

Liberati0n*

Am I the only one who thought Laich played pretty darn well last night? Seemed much faster out there than he had in the previous games.

No, I noticed that too. That still doesn't make him the best 2LW option.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I watched the first two periods.. lukewarm feelings. Caps didn't play bad, didn't impress either. Don't really see progress. With all the talent and forward depth, this team needs to be able to string together some dominant shifts against an opponent like Carolina. This is not happening at the moment. Ineffective line combos are not helping, either.. but I suppose all we can do is wait until Oates' line-assembly genius shines through, or until he is forced to make changes.

I am actually more worried about lack of dominance on offense than defensive problems. The Caps have spent heavily on forwards, they need to play well enough to justify it. Right now, the return on the 9m Laich+Erat salary (for instance) is giving the Caps maddeningly low output. Although I guess to be fair, with the exception of Ovi, no forward is playing particularly well.

I guess Urbom was a positive. With his supposed upside, what he needs to do right now is show that he can be reliable enough to keep in the lineup to allow his game to develop. So far, so good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad