GDT: Hurricanes at Devils 12:30 EDT - Game #78 (MSG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It's only a few games but holy shit Okhotiuk looks awesome. Just great positionally, always in the right spot, physical, angles guys to the wall and shuts them down, pretty nasty along the wall too, he just ends plays, not too bad in front either. He makes some nifty little plays with the puck too with quick little passes or just chips it out of trouble if there's nothing there.

He's probably boxed more guys out of the crease in two games than all the other Dmen combined all year. Hopefully this jerk off staff doesn't coach it out of him cause everyone else fronts the opposing forwards and immediately concedes the crease, I hate that shit.

Only play he kinda got beat on (if you want to call it that) was the two on one, he was in the right spot but got beat by a perfect saucer pass over his stick. I'm actually gushing over him right now, we haven't had a defenseman of this ilk in a very long time, this is the exact kind of player we've been missing back there. Super solid defensively but a completely different player than Siegs, hopefully he can keep it up.
Retweet

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
You can’t possibly have any real emotions over a one goal loss against one of the best teams in the league, with Bratt and Hughes out, Siegenthaler out, and playing quite literally the worst goalie in the league in game 78 of a throwaway season, right?
Amazing. Almost none of this post was accurate.

Can't help thinking that had Bratt and Hughes been in the lineup the Canes likely wouldn't have been scoreless heading into the final five minutes.

And your "worst goalie in the league" comment is just a cheap shot to a guy who has played behind perhaps the worst defensive team in the league.

Funny how he had no problems playing for the Blues and Comrie, Hammond and Wedgewood all have been fine playing elsewhere.

Further, the combination of Bahl and Okhotiuk performed far better than the players they replaced.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If Ruff isn't fired this summer I hope the leash is EXTREMELY short. Like before Thanksgiving if this shit show continues. I am leery of the excuses of injuries and goaltending being in his favor.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
This will be painful waiting until next season . Essentially will be waiting from the beginning of December 2021 until October 2022.
Out of the playoffs before Christmas.
I am sorry to be a Dennie Downer but if we don’t make the needed changes in the off-season , I am not going to torture myself watching another season full of depressing loses.
At the minimum :
Fire Recchi
Get a goalie (legit starter)
Dump some of the soft crap and add Nuke / Neiderrieder / Marchment type
Het a good defensive RHD .

Reactions: Dylan9z9

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Making what up is the question many came to his defense so don't see why you ignore all of that and has fit in on Carolina pretty well....Seems to me those attacks on him were from people outside of the room due to his political beliefs more than from within....I would rack up his OHL issues more to being young and immature....

All his past conflicts were with refs and the administration’s of his old teams because he had anger management problems, severe problems with authorities and was uncoachable in juniors/earlier in his NHL career. (Roughly his own interpretation.)

He was never let go due an outside public pressure. He’s a self-destructive idiot who sabotaged his own career over and over again.

That’s why one of the most productive offensive defenseman in the NHL but had been traded twice, bought out once and now is on a 1 year/ 1m “show me you can actually act like remotely like a professional starting at age 26”.

TDA still made (according to Cap Friendly) 9.2m in earnings and is on what is at least his 3rd “next chance”, all needed after problems of his own creation, so I don’t see why anyone feels sorry for him.

I discussed this dumbass way more than enough but he wasn’t going to be signed here. Sorry. I would love Fitz to grab cheap value signing but not “bad vibe guys”. Carolina has a well-established locker room culture/team identity with a dominate head coach and more long time vets. We don’t.

He probably had several teams to choose from with his cheap redemption one year deal. I very much doubt he wanted to stay anywhere near the NY media market.

Carolina is better place for him, this would be a bad one. Our young players don’t need Idiot Lessons and he needed a small market to slink off to and well-ordered team where he could just fall in line.

Reactions: Oneiro

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Can't help thinking that had Bratt and Hughes been in the lineup the Canes likely wouldn't have been scoreless heading into the final five minutes.

And your "worst goalie in the league" comment is just a cheap shot to a guy who has played behind perhaps the worst defensive team in the league.

Funny how he had no problems playing for the Blues and Comrie, Hammond and Wedgewood all have been fine playing elsewhere.

Further, the combination of Bahl and Okhotiuk performed far better than the players they replaced.
I know you have a penchant for bad goalies, but you really have this strange fascination for defending these BAD goalies and trying to tell us how good they're playing elsewhere.

Gillies is 28 years old and played 12 games in the NHL before this season, ALL in the 2017-2018 season or earlier. Gillies couldn't even crack this many games in the NHL in a season until all these f***in injuries started happening here. Gillies is playing behind the worst defensive team in the league? Well maybe he were really good (and he's NOT) he could get a chance to play for a team that isn't a bad defensive team. But since he's a nobody goalie (as evidenced by his lack of NHL usage before this year at 27 years old), he isn't gonna get that chance.

You have a thing for bad goalies. Like the David Rittich comment from a couple months ago. The Rittich comment was especially weird since he's having the worst season he's had in the NHL.

And I'm not trying to shit on Gillies, because he didn't play badly today or allow any goals I'm nailing him with a stoppable goal for, but your Clark Kent-like ability to jump into the phone booth and Superman your way into here to defend our PATHETIC goalies this year is pretty funny.

I can't wait for the possible Blackwood start when he gets bombed (for some reason people have a larger leash with Blackwood here and I absolutely do not, is that good enough for you @Zachas Final Third? ;)) and I have to read ''Oh, it's his first game in 3 months. Oh, he's injured. He'll be better next year when he's not injured. By the way, Ty Smith needs to be shipped out ASAP!''.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Umm. This whole thing is pretty bad. The first part is just stupid (as is the rest of it)

And the second part is also not true. Gilles by every account has been the worst goalie in the league this season. To be fair he played well today.

The third part is a weird claim. Hammond played 4 games over 4 seasons before we got him (11 over the last 6). Gilles had 13 career games over the span of 6 seasons before he came to the devils (1 game for the blues who he had no problem playing for).

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Umm. This whole thing is pretty bad. The first part is just stupid (as is the rest of it)

And the second part is also not true. Gilles by every account has been the worst goalie in the league this season. To be fair he played well today.

The third part is a weird claim. Hammond played 4 games over 4 seasons before we got him (11 over the last 6). Gilles had 13 career games over the span of 6 seasons before he came to the devils (1 game for the blues who he had no problem playing for).

Hammond was 3-0 in four games with a .920 save percentage playing for Montreal THIS season.

A team by the way with a worse record than the Devils.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I hope Fitz puts irons in the fire on a coaching staff from hc down to the goalie coach. Nothing personal against Ruff or some of the others but I'd like to see a full turnover and fresh start there.

Obviously a tender that's worth a damn is a huge priority but coaching is up there.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Some people really don't understand small sample sizes.

A guy played game with St. Louis and was better than the 18 games he played here? I could go through his game log and find you a game here with Gillies had a .923% or better for a single game or two?

And I keep TRYING to point out Hammond's 5 games of .837% for Ottawa in 16-17 (Which is worse than he's been here in 5 games), but it just falls on blind eyes, so the narrative of ''They're all worse here than everywhere else!''.

Same with Wedgewood. @Guttersniped has also tried to point out numerous times how Wedgewood played parts of 3 games here this year and Calgary and Washington were two of the opponents. BOTH top 6 and 8 in the league in scoring this year.

And while we're at it, do you know who Gillies faced with the Blues? Anaheim. Bottom-10 goal scoring team in the league....

Seriously, Gillies has in fact had better games as a Devil than he did in his one game with the Blues, but he's also had much worse games with the Devils than he did as a Blue. Is it possible he didn't have worse games with the Blues because he only played one game there?

Reactions: Guttersniped

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Huh? There’s literally been issues through this entire career. As I said I’m sure some of it is overblown but you can’t just ignore the clear evidence that he’s an idiot and has had issues wherever he’s gone. At the OHL, AHL, and NHL level all before the Georgiev incident that was essentially the last straw. If that was the sole incident it’s very unlikely the Rangers get rid of him. And being young and immature is no excuse for using slurs man.

I’m not ignoring anything. People coming to his defense doesn’t mean he isn’t an idiot that causes problem like all the evidence throughout his entire career suggests.

The Canes made a smart bet that has paid off. And he has fit in and he hasn’t had any issues so far. But I’m sure that’s helped by the fact that he’s already lost tens of millions of dollars and is likely on his last chance.

I’m not even sure what your argument is at this point. Some people came to his defensemen so he’s not an idiot who has caused problems through his career?
You still here talking about DeAngelo let it go....If you don't agree it's ok but don't assume a difference of opinion of a situation is made up...I disagree with some of what you said not all....But as of today he has changed and his play got them a W

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Making what up is the question many came to his defense so don't see why you ignore all of that and has fit in on Carolina pretty well....Seems to me those attacks on him were from people outside of the room due to his political beliefs more than from within....I would rack up his OHL issues more to being young and immature....
Who came to his defense? If so many players on the Rangers came to his defense for attacking a teammate why did they immediately send him to Siberia and use up millions on a buyout while keeping the other guy? Especially since he’s clearly more talented.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hope Fitz puts irons in the fire on a coaching staff from hc down to the goalie coach. Nothing personal against Ruff or some of the others but I'd like to see a full turnover and fresh start there.

Obviously a tender that's worth a damn is a huge priority but coaching is up there.
Once again, for Fitz not to go into next year with a new staff, he will have earned the greatest heel turn since Hogan joining the NWO.

Like, he will have earned the fans showering him (and the staff) with garbage from the stands at the home opener next year. Just like during the NWO debut

Reactions: McDuffz88 and mtnet

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Once again, for Fitz not to go into next year with a new staff, he will have earned the greatest heel turn since Hogan joining the NWO.

Like, he will have earned the fans showering him (and the staff) with garbage from the stands at the home opener next year. Just like during the NWO debut
BUT WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON?!?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Hammond was 3-0 in four games with a .920 save percentage playing for Montreal THIS season.

That’s 3 games man. After playing exclusively in the AHL for a long time before that. Even the worst goalies have really good games or even small stretches of good games. And then he literally got injured and they gave him to us. Like he’s an AHL caliber goalie. Having a stretch of 3 good games doesn’t change that in the slightest bit whatsoever. We got a win when he had a good game for us against Vegas.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tony DeAngelo is not a bad hockey player by any means, but he's by all accounts a pretty shitty human being.

There's many examples of great musicians, actors, etc, that are great at what they do, but by all accounts are shitty human beings or were involved in some really sketchy or creepy or just evil shit.

My buddy and I were just talking the other night about how wholesome Bill Cosby seemed to be up until about 8 or 10 years ago when we found out everything him and how he was not this nice wholesome, good hearted man.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
All his past conflicts were with refs and the administration’s of his old teams because he had anger management problems, severe problems with authorities and was uncoachable in juniors/earlier in his NHL career. (Roughly his own interpretation.)

He was never let go due an outside public pressure. He’s a self-destructive idiot who sabotaged his own career over and over again.

That’s why one of the most productive offensive defenseman in the NHL but had been traded twice, bought out once and now is on a 1 year/ 1m “show me you can actually act like remotely like a professional starting at age 26”.

TDA still made (according to Cap Friendly) 9.2m in earnings and is on what is at least his 3rd “next chance”, all needed after problems of his own creation, so I don’t see why anyone feels sorry for him.

I discussed this dumbass way more than enough but he wasn’t going to be signed here. Sorry. I would love Fitz to grab cheap value signing but not “bad vibe guys”. Carolina has a well-established locker room culture/team identity with a dominate head coach and more long time vets. We don’t.

He probably had several teams to choose from with his cheap redemption one year deal. I very much doubt he wanted to stay anywhere near the NY media market.

Carolina is better place for him, this would be a bad one. Our young players don’t need Idiot Lessons and he needed a small market to slink off to and well-ordered team where he could just fall in line.
Who came to his defense? If so many players on the Rangers came to his defense for attacking a teammate why did they immediately send him to Siberia and use up millions on a buyout while keeping the other guy? Especially since he’s clearly more talented.
First one that I can remember was K Miller

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

You know what? You're right. You're absolutely right.

Andrew Hammond is a WAY better goalie than Jake Allen and Carey Price, who both unlike Hammond have lost this games this year and neither have a save percentage anywhere close to .920%.

Shame on whoever ran him out of town.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
You can’t possibly have any real emotions over a one goal loss against one of the best teams in the league, with Bratt and Hughes out, Siegenthaler out, and playing quite literally the worst goalie in the league in game 78 of a throwaway season, right?

Nah this game gets a pass. It's those other 50 losses that really irk me.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You still here talking about DeAngelo let it go....If you don't agree it's ok but don't assume a difference of opinion of a situation is made up...I disagree with some of what you said not all....But as of today he has changed and his play got them a W
Lol what? Ummm yes I was talking about Deangelo because that is quite literally what we were discussing. Is it not?

What exactly do you disagree with? You also haven’t made one single half decent argument. I told you my widely shared opinion supported by a list of facts clearly supporting it.

I quite literally said Carolina took a bet on him and it has paid off. I don’t think you can really conclude that he’s changed after 1 season. I’d imagine he’s being very careful as he should.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

If Hammond so good, where he has been the last several years? Why didn't he play in the NHL between April of 2018 and February of 2022? How dumb is the league for passing on this gem?

How come Gillies didn't play a game in the NHL between April of 2018 and November of 2021? How dumb is the league for passing on this gem? And how dumb are the Blues for letting this guy go once they had him for NOTHING?

• Haha
Reactions: Dylan9z9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad